Saying 'we have to get better,' Fleck tackles struggling football program

Coach Claeys was very clear in saying they wanted to be position to be playing for the Big Ten championship going into the final two weeks. I love the expectations Fleck has, but it's not unique.

Interesting response, since I never said anything in my post about Tracy Claeys.

Interesting response, since I never said anything in my post about Tracy Claeys.

Just an example. Nothing unique about what Coach Fleck envisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sat in a room with Coach Claeys and a recruit. He had clear expectations for the program, and more importantly, for the recruit. He promised the kid nothing, told him what he needed to do to get a scholarship offer from the U, that he hadn't earned it yet, and then helped him review his planner for his classes. That may not fit your narrative, but he really was very good with recruits and families, and very well liked.

Evidently that wasn't a relative of Tyrone Carter, or all hell would have broken loose.

That's the difference between Fleck's vision and the vision of many others.

It's great that you're satisfied with five bowl games or eight win seasons in three of four seasons. He's probably not going to be happy if that's the high point of where the program is in 5 years.

50 years without a conference championship. That's not success to me, and it isn't to coach Fleck either.

Wouldn't any coach have a vision of winning championships, no matter where they are at? It is a fairly ridiculous statement to say PJ has grander visions for championships than any other coach that the U has ever hired or any other coach in the entire country. When a coach enters a program it may take longer to achieve at a really high level, based on how solid or messed up the program was when they took over. But every coach believes and wants to take the program they are head of and make it as successful as possible.
It's not any easy task to go out and win at a high level if you don't have admin. support. It's been a long time since that has been the case at the U. We are in a better position now in those regards, and that has nothing to do with PJ, as the stadium and athletes village were added before he arrived. Along with that, there has been a bigger financial commitment towards the football program.

I sat in a room with Coach Claeys and a recruit. He had clear expectations for the program, and more importantly, for the recruit. He promised the kid nothing, told him what he needed to do to get a scholarship offer from the U, that he hadn't earned it yet, and then helped him review his planner for his classes. That may not fit your narrative, but he really was very good with recruits and families, and very well liked.

Awesome. He still laughed at a Gopher commit who said he wanted to go to the Rose Bowl.

Awesome. He still laughed at a Gopher commit who said he wanted to go to the Rose Bowl.

Yes, that's what the player said and I have no doubt that it's true. However, the idea that Claeys laughed at him as if to imply it's impossible is idiotic.

I will acknowledge that if that's the impression the player got, that's mostly on Claeys.

Yes, that's what the player said and I have no doubt that it's true. However, the idea that Claeys laughed at him as if to imply it's impossible is idiotic.

I will acknowledge that if that's the impression the player got, that's mostly on Claeys.

It was likely he chuckled in a "You got big dreams kid" type way IMO. However, he he didn't clarify that the recruit could think he was laughing at going to the rose bowl. Who knows?

Interesting. Earlier in the thread it was "Claeys didn't expect to go to the Rose Bowl" to now "Claeys laughed at a Gopher commit when he said he wanted to go to the Rose Bowl." How much further will your goal posts move?

For anyone who's not an idiot, if this interaction even happened (doubtful), it's obvious that he snickered in a "I admire your chutzpah, kid" sort of way - as Taji34 said. And, again, to draw any sort of meaningful inference out of a single conversation that probably didn't even happen is idiotic. How would you like it if people judged your entire persona based on a single conversation you had one time?

Interesting. Earlier in the thread it was "Claeys didn't expect to go to the Rose Bowl" to now "Claeys laughed at a Gopher commit when he said he wanted to go to the Rose Bowl." How much further will your goal posts move?

For anyone who's not an idiot, if this interaction even happened (doubtful), it's obvious that he snickered in a "I admire your chutzpah, kid" sort of way - as Taji34 said. And, again, to draw any sort of meaningful inference out of a single conversation that probably didn't even happen is idiotic. How would you like it if people judged your entire persona based on a single conversation you had one time?

Why are stating that a Gopher player lied about an interaction with a previous coach? Are you that in love with Claeys?

Why are stating that a Gopher player lied about an interaction with a previous coach? Are you that in love with Claeys?

Man, this is a bizarre thing for you to latch on to. And that is really saying something considering your history of posts.

Who cares? This whole "Rose Bowl/Claeys" discussion is so irrelevant.

Agreed but I don't see the need to call an 18 year old kid a liar over something like this

True. Hard to believe that somebody would bring the kid into the discussion in the first place.

True. Hard to believe that somebody would bring the kid into the discussion in the first place.

It was completely relevant to the comment I replied to. Calling him a liar is completely out of line however.

People lie and are called a liar all the time, not worth getting worked up about.

I'm not worked up. I just don't see the need to call a kid who's at least half his age a liar, to defend a fifty year old man.

Who's stating that a player lied? It's very plausible that an interaction as such occurred:

Claeys: What are your goals as a college football player?
Bursch: I want to play in the Rose Bowl.
Claeys (snickering): I admire your ambition - let's walk before we run.

Bursch, being 17/18 years old at the time, lacks full cognitive development and doesn't fully understand how social interactions and cues work, and takes Claeys' laughter as making fun of him rather than chuckling at his gusto. You, being an idiot, think the same. His excuse is that he's young and doesn't know any better. What's your excuse?

I like to think both Claeys and Bursch are reading this thread and getting a true legitimate laugh over this argument that's broken out here

Who's stating that a player lied? It's very plausible that an interaction as such occurred:

Claeys: What are your goals as a college football player?
Bursch: I want to play in the Rose Bowl.
Claeys (snickering): I admire your ambition - let's walk before we run.

Bursch, being 17/18 years old at the time, lacks full cognitive development and doesn't fully understand how social interactions and cues work, and takes Claeys' laughter as making fun of him rather than chuckling at his gusto. You, being an idiot, think the same. His excuse is that he's young and doesn't know any better. What's your excuse?

Neither you or I was in that room when this conversation took place. You siding with Claeys and making up a scenario is pathetic.

Neither you or I was in that room when this conversation took place.

Correct. The hilarious part is that you think the fact that neither you or I was in the room bolsters your claim.

You siding with Claeys and making up a scenario is pathetic.

I'm not "siding with" anyone, but if given the choice of who to believe in a scenario - a 47-year-old multimillionaire professional or a 17/18-year-old high school kid - yes, common sense dictates that I quite easily side with the 47-year-old. Most any reasonable person without an agenda would do the same. You hate Claeys and have no common sense when it comes to him (or anything else I've seen you comment on, for that matter), so you infer what you wish out of the recounting of an interaction by a high school kid.

Correct. The hilarious part is that you think the fact that neither you or I was in the room bolsters your claim.

I'm not "siding with" anyone, but if given the choice of who to believe in a scenario - a 47-year-old multimillionaire professional or a 17/18-year-old high school kid - yes, common sense dictates that I quite easily side with the 47-year-old. Most any reasonable person without an agenda would do the same. You hate Claeys and have no common sense when it comes to him (or anything else I've seen you comment on, for that matter), so you infer what you wish out of the recounting of an interaction by a high school kid.
Claeys never commented on the situstion. It's not about believing one person over the other it's the fact Bursch was the only one who said anything about it.

I don't hate anyone, I just find it pathetic that you're implying an 18 year old kid lied about an interaction.

Claeys never commented on the situstion. It's not about believing one person over the other it's the fact Bursch was the only one who said anything about it.

I don't hate anyone, I just find it pathetic that you're implying an 18 year old kid lied about an interaction.
Nobody is calling him a liar, he may have just misinterpreted or be mistaken about what was said.

So the idea here that Josh raised and that JB is doubling down on is that Claeys didn't even want to win at a high level. Yeah, that seems perfectly reasonable and not influenced by personal bias at all.

Top Bottom