U of M, TCF Bank amend TCF Bank Stadium deal

joshvanklomp

Reaction score
TCF Financial Corporation and the University of Minnesota announced an amended sponsorship agreement for TCF Bank Stadium that immediately invests $8 million in the University’s Athletes Village, a transformative project to modernize athletics facilities and deliver a first-class collegiate experience for all current and former Gopher student-athletes. The amendment also provides the University with $541,000 in additional revenue over the remaining term of the agreement.

In 2005, TCF entered into a 26-year, $35 million sponsorship agreement with the University to support Gopher Athletics and the construction of TCF Bank Stadium. Under terms of the amended agreement, pending approval from the University’s Board of Regents on Friday, TCF also has secured an option to extend its sponsorship and the naming rights for TCF Bank Stadium for another 10 years through 2040 season. Exercising this option includes a $4 million initial contribution to the University.

In recognition of TCF’s long-time support of Gopher Athletics, the University has agreed to place a field mark, denoting the stadium name, on the playing field and the TCF logo just outside the field of play. In addition, a newly designed logo will appear on stadium scoreboards and in other locations throughout the facility beginning in 2018.

“TCF has been an incredibly generous and supportive partner to our University and our athletics department for many years, and today’s announcement is another significant milestone in that partnership,” said Gopher Athletics Director Mark Coyle. “By contributing to Athletes Village, TCF is making a positive impact in the lives of every Gopher student-athlete and is helping our department fully fund this critical project through private contributions. I’m excited to continue our collaboration with TCF and keep the name of a great Minnesota company on TCF Bank Stadium, our community’s premier open-air sports and entertainment venue and one of the cornerstone facilities on our University’s Twin Cities campus.”

http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/090717aaa.html

I really wished DQ could take over the naming rights one day but I'll take the money.

I quite like the stadium/firehat logo we have now. Hopefully they don't toss that one out.

I agree, I like the current TCF Bank Stadium logo. If it's not broke, then don't fix it. This is only the 9th season at TCF Bank Stadium so it was not obsolete by any means.

The only thing I can think of is that TCF Bank re-branded a couple years ago with a new logo so maybe they want to tie that new brand image to the Stadium.

I agree, I like the current TCF Bank Stadium logo. If it's not broke, then don't fix it. This is only the 9th season at TCF Bank Stadium so it was not obsolete by any means.

The only thing I can think of is that TCF Bank re-branded a couple years ago with a new logo so maybe they want to tie that new brand image to the Stadium.

I'm quite sure this is the reason

Trailer Court Financial to the rescue!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think as part of the deal TCF also gets a lot of exclusive rights to the U of M campus, such as their ATM machines are everywhere.

I think as part of the deal TCF also gets a lot of exclusive rights to the U of M campus, such as their ATM machines are everywhere.

Not exclusive, as there are also Wells Fargo and US Bank ATMs (at least) on campus.

A new scoreboard would be nice. The current 2 though relatively new are severely outdated.

The campus wide agreement for TCF ATMs in not part of this extension. That will remain a separate negotiation. However, they will get to extend their exclusive rights to ATMs inside the stadium for the duration of the naming rights.

Not exclusive, as there are also Wells Fargo and US Bank ATMs (at least) on campus.

If I remember correctly, TCF got exclusive rights to offer students banking services through the U. Could be wrong.

If I remember correctly, TCF got exclusive rights to offer students banking services through the U. Could be wrong.

Yeah they have some deal like that.

It became a problem later when some foreign students had their TCF accounts shut down by TCF (claiming they were following federal post 9/11 laws related to money involving foreigners) and that somehow killed accounts at the U because they were tied together....

You are correct, but that didn't give them a monopoly on the ATMs. There are a handful of other bank ATMs on campus. There is a US Bank ATM in Coffman and a small branch office on West Bank connected to Blegen hall. 95% of the ATMs on campus are TCF though

There is a U.S. Bank branch right inside Coffman Memorial Union.
Things may have changed, but I think the marketing aspect of welcome week/orientation/official communication from the U could only include offers from TCF.

When are they going to unveil the new TCF Bank Stadium logo? Has anyone heard anything?

http://www.fox9.com/sports/gophers-tcf-bank-stadium-deal-changes

POSTED: SEP 07 2017 11:04AM CDT

UPDATED: SEP 08 2017 02:33PM CDT

MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) - The University of Minnesota and TCF Financial Corporation have announced an amended agreement for the TCF Bank Stadium naming rights, which includes field markings, and updated logo and an investment in the Athletes Village.

NAMING RIGHTS THROUGH 2040: In 2005, TCF entered into a 26-year, $35 million agreement with the U of M to support the construction and secure the naming rights of TCF Bank Stadium. Under terms of the amended agreement, pending approval from the University’s Board of Regents on Friday, TCF also has secured an option to extend its sponsorship and naming rights for another 10 years through the 2040 season. Exercising this option includes a $4 million initial contribution to the university.

ATHLETES VILLAGE INVESTMENT: Under terms of the amended sponsorship agreement, TCF will immediately invest $8 million in the Athletes Village, which is scheduled to open in January 2018. The 320,000 square foot village will include an indoor football practice facility, updated practice and training facilities for basketball and renovations to several other buildings.

FIELD MARKS: New field markings with the TCF Bank Stadium name will be added before the Gophers’ Sept. 16 home football game against Middle Tennessee State. The logo will be placed on the playing field, and the TCF logo will be placed just outside the field of play.

NEW LOGO: A new TCF Bank Stadium logo will be unveiled prior to the 2018 football season, and will be designed to appear on the stadium’s scoreboards and other prominent locations.

I believe that it's already up on the street side of the main scoreboard. Not sure if they changed the stadium side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I believe that it's already up on the street side of the main scoreboard. Not sure if they changed the stadium side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yep.
20180807_160936.jpg

Top Bottom