Tyrone Carter... UPDATED: TC, with oar in hand, says he supports Fleck!!

No Gopher in the last 40 years is a flat out legend outside of Darrel Thompson.

tc had a better college career than dt at their respective positions, tc was the leader on a team who went to a better bowl than dt's bowl games, tc had a better pro career than dt.

flat out legend.

No Gopher in the last 40 years is a flat out legend outside of Darrel Thompson.

Darrell Thompson? A great player to be sure, but I can think of at least 3 players immediately (Tyrone Carter, Greg Eslinger, and Matt Spaeth) in the last 40 years who had better college careers than Darrell Thompson.

Darrell Thompson? A great player to be sure, but I can think of at least 3 players immediately (Tyrone Carter, Greg Eslinger, and Matt Spaeth) in the last 40 years who had better college careers than Darrell Thompson.

Likely going to be an argument based on age and definition of Legend. Maybe I'm short changing some players. I originally posted NO GOPHER, but then edited to include Thompson. Maybe I'm safer saying, No Gopher in the last 40 years is a flat out legend.

What is it with these Carter's? Is Tyrone a South St Paul product like Jim...[emoji41]

I disagree on Matt Spaeth having a better career than Thompson. Thompson was the best RB in modern day Gopher history. Spaeth was probably the best TE.

Yep. Really stupid course of action taken by TC.

Yea. I agree. That was incredibly stupid by him to do. He loses a lot of credibility with me after that.

Anyways, I doubt Coach Fleck will ever actually address it, even if asked directly. I will actually be surprised if he does. TC has said his piece, hope he just does his own thing (does a ton of stuff with HS kids/college kids through his TC Elite Camp which is awesome) and just worries about that. Maybe down the road, when tempers or whatever cool, we can revisit the situation and everyone can make peace on whatever the situation actually is.

Best Gopher football players in my lifetime have been Greg and Tyrone.

They're in a class by themselves.

My understanding is that somewhere in the recruiting process Carter's nephew mentioned the Thorpe trophy and PJ did the "not looking backwards looking forward" routine he does and basically trashed TC's legacy. PJ needs to learn to embrace some of the good things that have happened put them in the context of there wasn't enough of that kind of result for the team to be elite.

I disagree on Matt Spaeth having a better career than Thompson. Thompson was the best RB in modern day Gopher history. Spaeth was probably the best TE.

Agree to disagree on both counts. Spaeth won the Mackey Award for best TE. He was also huge, basically a sixth o-lineman, and was an animal in run blocking. Relative to other tight ends, he was better than Thompson was relative to other running backs. My opinion, of course.

Among running backs only, I would personally take either of Maroney or Barber before Thompson. Maroney averaged 6.0 yards a carry as a Gopher and ran for almost as many yards in 3 years as Thompson did in 4. I could even make an argument for Cobb, but I would take Thompson slightly ahead based on longevity.

(On a side note, how is Tyrone Carter not in the College Football Hall of Fame? He's the leading tackler in Division I history, for crying out loud.)

Tyrone was LEGENDARY in the Penn State game.

And against #23 Syracuse.

Tyrone Carter returns two fumbles for touchdown in upset of Syracuse - Sept. 21, 1996

"In a span of 56 seconds, freshman safety Tyrone Carter returned an NCAA record two fumbles for touchdown as Minnesota upset No. 23 Syracuse, 35-33, at the Metrodome. The future All-American was making his first career start for the Golden Gophers. Trailing 12-7 in the third quarter, Carter picked up Malcolm Thomas' fumble and returned it 63 yards for the score. Less than a minute later, Carter scooped up a Tebucky Jones fumble and ran it in for 20 yards and his second touchdown."

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082508aaa.html

Minnesota's Run Stuffer Strong safety Tyrone Carter is on track to set a record - SI

"I'm here to make plays--that's whatI do," says Tyrone Carter, an All-America strong safety who has4.4 speed and is a leading candidate for the Jim Thorpe Award,given annually to the nation's best defensive back. "Every play,I ask my teammates, 'Who's going to beat me to the tackle?'"

Carter, 5'9", 184 pounds, has made 413 career tackles (includinga staggering 321 solo), the most by any active safety or cornerback, according to statistics compiled by the Minnesota sports information office. He needs 69 more to break theDivision I-A mark for defensive backs, set by Tulane's MikeStaid from 1991 to '94. "I've never seen a secondary guy make as many tackles as he does," Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez says.Adds Badgers running back Ron Dayne: "He's like a fly, always buzzing around you."

Generally coaches don't like their safeties making a lot oftackles because it means that their linemen and linebackersaren't doing their jobs, but Golden Gophers coach Glen Mason isn't unhappy about the numbers accumulated by Carter, whom he uses almost as a linebacker against run-oriented Big Tenopponents. "We play to our strengths, and that's Tyrone," Masonsays. "We try to spill the ball toward him."

Carter is more than just a human stop sign, however. In hisfirst college start, against Syracuse in 1996, he set an NCAArecord by returning two fumbles for touchdowns. As a kickreturner a year ago he ran back the Gophers' home-season-openingkickoff 86 yards for a touchdown against Arkansas State andfinished second in the Big Ten with an average of 26.7 yards perreturn.

Carter had his choice of big-time schools when he came out ofEly High in Pompano Beach, Fla., where his exploits as a runningback earned him the nickname Touchdown Tyrone. (He rushed for1,349 yards and scored 23 touchdowns for the Tigers.) He wantedto attend Florida, Florida State or Miami, but chose Minnesotaat the behest of his paternal grandmother, Mamie, who had been impressed by the recruiting pitch of then Minnesota coach JimWacker. She had raised Tyrone, along with 11 of her ownchildren, helping him steer clear of the drugs and crime thatinfested the area where they lived. "She wanted me to experiencea different type of lifestyle," says Tyrone.

Mamie died in May 1997, but Tyrone hasn't forgotten her or hisroots. On his left biceps is a tattoo of her name, the date of her death and a pair of hands clasped in prayer. He has pledged$50,000 of any earnings that he might make in the NFL to help anuncle build a church in Pompano Beach in her memory. "She taughtme to work hard, to stay out of trouble and to not let anybodygive you anything," Carter says. "I loved her, and I want tohonor her any way I can."

Carter would also like to do so by helping Minnesota earn itsfirst bowl berth since 1986, the longest postseason drought inthe Big Ten. He'd like to repeat as first-team All-America too,a feat no Gophers player has accomplished since Bobby Bell in'61 and '62. Supersized goals to be sure, but Carter, as Big Ten rivals will attest, isn't afraid to tackle anything.

https://www.si.com/vault/1999/10/04...arter-is-on-track-to-set-a-record-for-tackles

I've said this on another thread and I will say it again. TC doesn't know how to handle himself or act, regardless of how great he is, and has no place being significantly involved in football at the U if he doesn't know how to conduct himself.

TC was one of the greatest players in Gophers history, his stats, awards, and honors confirm that. Many of you seem a little hard on him. I had not heard or read of him being negative to the program or school prior to "the incident". Might he just be passionate about the program and critical of the administration just like everyone else on this board not named Cruze?

I'll say one thing, if Carter thinks he can tell Fleck what to do in recruiting, he needs to check his ego. That's not the way you "support your alma mater".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree to disagree on both counts. Spaeth won the Mackey Award for best TE. He was also huge, basically a sixth o-lineman, and was an animal in run blocking. Relative to other tight ends, he was better than Thompson was relative to other running backs. My opinion, of course.

Among running backs only, I would personally take either of Maroney or Barber before Thompson. Maroney averaged 6.0 yards a carry as a Gopher and ran for almost as many yards in 3 years as Thompson did in 4. I could even make an argument for Cobb, but I would take Thompson slightly ahead based on longevity.

(On a side note, how is Tyrone Carter not in the College Football Hall of Fame? He's the leading tackler in Division I history, for crying out loud.)

Referencing Side Note.....you can see this year's ballot and criteria here.
Along with it are the criteria. I don't know why he isn't on the ballot. Anyone can be a member of the National Football Foundation and vote. I did it for a few years and enjoyed it. MN has a Chapter and you'd be a member of it. They do a nice job.

Thompson never had a line like the other guys (not even close) remember.

To me, Carter's success as a Gopher in the 1990s does not give him any permission to get special treatment in 2017 in regards to the recruitment of his family members. It also does not give him a pass for the immature behavior he is now exhibiting. I will never disparage Carter as a player (he was unequivocally great) but Carter the 40 year old man is not that impressive.

Thompson never had a line like the other guys (not even close) remember.
Hitchcock was a darn good H.S., College and NFL/ Superbowl center. IIRC Brian Williams also blocked for DT.

As a player, TC was unreal on the field. Was one of my favorite players growing up.

As an adult, he has shown he has no maturity. The U has to be very careful accepting someone into the program who publicly tweeted a potential victim's name to the public. With that action, I would really hope the football program would distance themselves from him. And if his nephew wanted to wait to announce a commitment, that is his desicion, but no school should be forced to hold a spot. Is he really any better than the DB recruits Fleck has committed?

Hitchcock was a darn good H.S., College and NFL/ Superbowl center. IIRC Brian Williams also blocked for DT.

I only remember Williams being around with Thompson but I'll take your word on it. I can still remember the TD run that pretty much derailed his career. He had the speed and power to be a really good pro...

Does TC have any coaching experience at the high school or college level? Asking for a fan as of '07 who has no memory of or affinity for TC.

My opinion based on what I can glean: it's bad to ignore history, worse to cling to it. Hire those that are qualified and buy into the Head Coach's system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as someone who works closely with Talent Acquisition, I get a real kick out of this. I have seen many people put down their potential employer and yet still demand a job (not say TC is demanding a job, it just seems like he is). Too much pride can be blinding. Never will be hired with this attitude (but then again it is the U).

Top Bottom