Once a fab freshman, Antonie Winfield Jr. now a super sophomore for the Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Even before P.J. Fleck and his staff arrived to take over the program earlier this year, Antoine Winfield Jr. was making the type of did-you-see-that plays that earned him the label of the Gophers’ next standout defensive back.

Remember his 82-yard interception return for a touchdown to put a stamp on Minnesota’s first Big Ten win last year against Maryland?

Winfield, the son of a former Vikings standout with the same name, wasted no time in showing that his sophomore season could be more of that, and then some.

In the season opener last week, the 5-10, 204-pounder had seven tackles, two pass breakups, a sack and a blocked field goal in a 17-7 win against Buffalo.

“He’s a special player,” said Fleck, who coaches his first Gophers road game Saturday at Oregon State. “You knew that just because of his blood line, right, but when you watch how he [played] … that is how I want everyone on this football team to play.”

http://m.startribune.com/once-a-fab...-a-super-sophomore-for-the-gophers/442956103/

Go Gophers!!

He was all over the field in the opener. One of the best games I've seen out of a Gopher defensive player in a long time. He'll be playing on Sundays in a few years.

Winfield wanted an offer from Ohio St but did not receive that honor. He was also overlooked by the big Texas schools. Minnesota was an easy choice as he lived in Eden Prairie while his father played for the Vikings. He was a beast for The Woodlands High School and essentially took over most games he played. My best friends kid was a QB at The Woodlands and hated going against Antoine every day in practice, but knew he wouldn't face anyone better on Friday nights.

Hopefully his siblings will follow in his footsteps and come to Minnesota as well.

Top Bottom