Tennessee's trash can just another in long list of college football sideline gimmicks

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

Tennessee decided to motivate its defense by having an assistant coach hoist a large garbage can over his head during the Vols’ win at Georgia Tech on Monday.

When the team forced a turnover, the players took the ball over to the sideline and dunked it into the decorated trash can with a “Hide The Ball” acronym written on it. The trash can took social media by storm — not necessarily in a good way — and now has an official Twitter account (@TrashCanTeam121).

Think that’s weird? Tennessee isn't the first team to pull something like this. FCS program Austin Peay has been using the good old trash can motivational tactic since second-year coach Will Healy took over (the Governors call theirs "Dunk City.")

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...h-can-just-latest-sideline-gimmick/632768001/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This is the kind of thing kids like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While watching that game on Monday night I heard 'brick by brick' mentioned several times when referring to Tennessee. I can't believe we had something on our uniforms for so long that was shared with another school....:rolleyes:

We've all established that it had nothing to do with Memorial Stadium when he first started it here. There was an entire thread about it

Glad you speak for all - you and GWG.

per USA Today:

Tennessee decided to motivate its defense by having an assistant coach hoist a large garbage can over his head during the Vols’ win at Georgia Tech on Monday.

When the team forced a turnover, the players took the ball over to the sideline and dunked it into the decorated trash can with a “Hide The Ball” acronym written on it. The trash can took social media by storm — not necessarily in a good way — and now has an official Twitter account (@TrashCanTeam121).

Think that’s weird? Tennessee isn't the first team to pull something like this. FCS program Austin Peay has been using the good old trash can motivational tactic since second-year coach Will Healy took over (the Governors call theirs "Dunk City.")

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...h-can-just-latest-sideline-gimmick/632768001/

Go Gophers!!

Wait...you're telling me a historic program like Tennessee is using the same 'gimmick' as a much less prestigious program (Austin Peay)?

Do their message boards have multiple threads claiming Butch Jones is all about himself, and not the U of Tennessee? How could he start such a stupid/pointless/ugly 'tradition' that has no ties to the history of their program?

Also...I only watched about 10 minutes of that game, and saw that trash can about 20 more times than anything with 'Row the Boat' during the Gopher game. I sure hope the blood pressure of the Vols fanbase didn't skyrocket through the roof when they saw that trash can for the first time.

Wait...you're telling me a historic program like Tennessee is using the same 'gimmick' as a much less prestigious program (Austin Peay)?

Do their message boards have multiple threads claiming Butch Jones is all about himself, and not the U of Tennessee? How could he start such a stupid/pointless/ugly 'tradition' that has no ties to the history of their program?

Also...I only watched about 10 minutes of that game, and saw that trash can about 20 more times than anything with 'Row the Boat' during the Gopher game. I sure hope the blood pressure of the Vols fanbase didn't skyrocket through the roof when they saw that trash can for the first time.

Wanna hear the really crazy thing about the trash can? THEY ARE EVERYWHERE IN THEIR STADIUM.

Bathroom? Trash can.

Concourse? Trash can.

Outside the stadium gates? TRASH CAN.

I read somewhere that like 99.9% of Vols fan have trash cans in their houses, at work...even some in their cars. BUT its a scam.

Some teams have had trash cans since DAY ONE of their program. Sometimes they are on the field, on the sidelines, etc. Fleck had one on the sideline Thursday night. Stolen that idea from Tennessee.

In that video doesn't look like a single player gave a **** about that can.

We've all established that it had nothing to do with Memorial Stadium when he first started it here. There was an entire thread about it

BS

Top Bottom