Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules

I'll make it easy. You get to transfer once and you have to do it before the start of your junior year. After that you have to sit out a year, and that includes your "5th Grad Year".

They should be open to transfer as long as coaches are free to transfer.

My concern with this potential change is that it will just help the better programs. Alabama is weak at WR one year? They'll just get someone to transfer from a lower program.

I agree that if a coach leaves, players should be able to transfer without sitting out.

There would certainly be an upward surge of players; not only migration from MN to traditional powers but G5 to MN.

Anti-tampering/recruiting rules...not sure how much of a bulkhead that would be as I suspect third party intermediaries would fill that vacuum. NCAA enforcement probably not able to keep up.

The NCAA uses academic reasons to justify restriction of transfers. Perhaps set a high academic bar as a carrot.

I like IowaGopher's concept. Or, as a compromise simply remove the ability of coaches to restrict transfer destinations but maintain the 1 yr rule. The transfer restrictions are something ostensibly done to prevent a competitive disadvantage within conferences or future opponents. It seems unreasonably capricious. Mike Gundy among others hold far too much power there and abuse it.

As long as the player also has to pay a buyout as well, Bob. I'd say $30-50K is reasonable. Maybe the new school pays it.

How about respecting potential players as being born with rights to freely associate with anyone they please. How about that for a concept. Freedom. Let players associate with whatever school they want to, whenever.

How about respecting potential players as being born with rights to freely associate with anyone they please. How about that for a concept. Freedom. Let players associate with whatever school they want to, whenever.

They already can.

I hate the idea of eliminating transfer restrictions in big revenue - high stakes - sports like D1 FBS football. If a player wants to experience the benefits of playing on the big stage, some sacrifices must be made...or it won't be the big stage anymore. Is a young hotshot lawyer required to sign a non-compete agreement to work with the powerhouse law firm? Absolutely. Otherwise, that law firm would have no interest in hiring and investing in its future competition. Is the hotshot tech star required to sign over any related IP he/she creates in order to work for Google, Apple, etc.? Absolutely. Is it fair for an FBS football scholarship star athlete to face restrictions on transfer in order to protect the University that invested all kinds of training in him? Absolutely.

I hate the idea of eliminating transfer restrictions in big revenue - high stakes - sports like D1 FBS football. If a player wants to experience the benefits of playing on the big stage, some sacrifices must be made...or it won't be the big stage anymore. Is a young hotshot lawyer required to sign a non-compete agreement to work with the powerhouse law firm? Absolutely. Otherwise, that law firm would have no interest in hiring and investing in its future competition. Is the hotshot tech star required to sign over any related IP he/she creates in order to work for Google, Apple, etc.? Absolutely. Is it fair for an FBS football scholarship star athlete to face restrictions on transfer in order to protect the University that invested all kinds of training in him? Absolutely.

Do you know what differentiates the student scholarship athlete from the hotshot lawyer? Please explain it to me. This, I gots to know.

How about a new rule: Each P5 school can only have five 4*/5* players on their roster on any given year.

Speaking of parity. :cool02:

Can we dump the NCAA already. Let the charade end. Either freedom is universal when it comes to education and sports, and jobs in general; or, we continue with the charade the newly minted full franchised citizens are chattel.

Top Bottom