The Oregonian: Canzano: PJ Fleck is finally coming to Oregon... how about that?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Oregonian:

It was late November and Oregon State had just finished its Civil War pile-driving of Oregon. The Beavers had just run 21 straight running plays to put the game away, and Ducks coach Mark Helfrich was on the ropes.

Three days later, Helfrich would meet with athletic director Rob Mullens and be informed he was fired. But already, the back-channeling for Oregon's soon-to-be-open football job had begun.

Bryan Harlan, PJ Fleck's agent, called me while I was on deadline writing my rivalry-game column in the press box at Reser Stadium. He wanted his client, then rowing the boat at Western Michigan, in the conversation for the Ducks job.

I thought about that twist this week.

In early January, Fleck was hired as coach of the University of Minnesota. He'll be in the state of Oregon on Saturday with his Golden Gophers, playing at Oregon State. A little more than 47 miles away, Ducks coach Willie Taggart will be coaching the most meaningful game of his young tenure, this one against Nebraska and ex-Beavers coach Mike Riley.

Talk about twisted storylines. Months ago, Fleck's camp said he dreamed about coaching in the state Oregon. Well, he's finally arrived.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...f/2017/09/canzano_pj_fleck_is_finally_co.html

Go Gophers!!

I don't think many coaches only have 1 dream job. He probably just wanted to move out of Kalamazoo.

Is PJ really that into us?

Why did it take him 10 munites longer to get home from work today?

Who was that woman he may or may not have looked at three months ago!?!?!?!?

I have a connection in the Oregon AD that told me Taggert was their 3rd option. PJ was in discussion with the ducks but couldn't agree on certain demands UO/Fleck both had. Glad it didn't work out and he ended up here in Minnesota. Not much to do in Eugene. I think Taggert and his staff are finding out it's very different culturally up there vs Tampa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad it didn't work out at Oregon. I'm surprised to hear he had interest. Was told many times on here that he didn't.

I'm glad it didn't work out at Oregon. I'm surprised to hear he had interest. Was told many times on here that he didn't.

I was also told many times on here that no other P5 schools had interest in Fleck.

I mean, both are right in the article...he wanted and OU had no interest.

In December, Fleck, who was making $392,000 per season at Western Michigan, wanted the Oregon job. Or at least, Harlan wanted his client in the conversation to drive Fleck's market value. Fleck beat two Big Ten teams (Northwestern and Illinois) last season. It was time for him to seize the opportunity and a bigger job. Purdue was rumored to be a logical landing spot. But was that real? And what else might come? Harlan needed other suitors.

That's the job of Harlan Sports. Don't blame the agent for working the system for his client. Getting Fleck a sniff at Oregon was his mission. But it would become clear in the coming days that Oregon had no real interest in Fleck.

I mean, both are right in the article...he wanted and OU had no interest.

In December, Fleck, who was making $392,000 per season at Western Michigan, wanted the Oregon job. Or at least, Harlan wanted his client in the conversation to drive Fleck's market value. Fleck beat two Big Ten teams (Northwestern and Illinois) last season. It was time for him to seize the opportunity and a bigger job. Purdue was rumored to be a logical landing spot. But was that real? And what else might come? Harlan needed other suitors.

That's the job of Harlan Sports. Don't blame the agent for working the system for his client. Getting Fleck a sniff at Oregon was his mission. But it would become clear in the coming days that Oregon had no real interest in Fleck.

I question the accuracy of his reporting when the named salary figure is easily verifiable - and still wrong anyway.

I question 98% of this article. Storytellers make up and embellish details. It's what they do. So do "sources" if it suits their agenda.

Based on his complicated family situation it's my belief Fleck really did want to stay somewhere in the middle of the country. I don't buy that OR had no interest. JMO.

I question 98% of this article. Storytellers make up and embellish details. It's what they do. So do "sources" if it suits their agenda.

Based on his complicated family situation it's my belief Fleck really did want to stay somewhere in the middle of the country. I don't buy that OR had no interest. JMO.

You're the reporter is making up that Fleck's agent called him directly, and is willing to memorialize that conversation publicly in an article? It's not like he said unnamed sources...

You're the reporter is making up that Fleck's agent called him directly, and is willing to memorialize that conversation publicly in an article? It's not like he said unnamed sources...

This is all third hand stuff except the part about the agent calling the writer. That's the 2%.

Top Bottom