Gophers plan to schedule big-time football foes. But not until they’re ready

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

When the Gophers travel to play Oregon State of the Pac-12 on Saturday, it will be their last nonconference football game against a top-tier program until 2020.

For the time being, an upcoming slate against programs mostly from mid-major conferences seems just fine with first-year coach P.J. Fleck, who has yet to put his stamp on future Minnesota schedules.

Near the genesis of his first season at Minnesota, Fleck has been quick to mention his inherited roster is among the youngest in the nation, with 45 percent of players being freshmen or redshirt freshmen. He also routinely touches on the team’s lack of depth on the offensive and defensive lines and in the defensive backfield. A third leg of Fleck’s talking points is that his team probably will get even younger next year with a big class of coveted recruits.

So, the 2018 nonconference schedule featuring New Mexico State, Fresno State and Miami (Ohio) — all at TCF Bank Stadium — doesn’t seem so daunting for a team finding itself under Fleck.

In 2019, Minnesota’s slate starts with a home game against South Dakota State, followed by a game at Fresno State and a home game against Georgia Southern.

“First and foremost, we want to give ourselves the best chance to continue to develop our program the way we want to be able to,” Fleck said Tuesday of his scheduling philosophy.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/0...ime-football-foes-but-not-until-theyre-ready/

Go Gophers!!

2020 was always a landmark year that sounded really far in the future. It's only a couple seasons away. Until then I'm fine with the 9 games of top competition the B1G provides, plus another likely P5 foe in a bowl.

Starting in 2020 there's always Colorado, Mississippi State, BYU and whomever else they find coming up to give 10 games against hard competition, more than Minnesota or most anyone else has consistently played throughout history.

The Florida Gators played Michigan this past weekend in Texas. It was the first non-conference game out of the state of Florida for them since 1991. They haven't played a P5 team in their opener since 1992.

Georgia is going to Notre Dame this weekend. This will be their first game north of the Mason Dixon line since 1965.

It would be fun to see some non conference games against Iowa State, Kansas State, or Kansas.

The odd numbered B1G schedule does cause some scheduling challenges. The increase in neutral site games helps.

The Florida Gators played Michigan this past weekend in Texas. It was the first non-conference game out of the state of Florida for them since 1991. They haven't played a P5 team in their opener since 1992.

Georgia is going to Notre Dame this weekend. This will be their first game north of the Mason Dixon line since 1965.

This part in bold seems just crazy to me. I'm sure you're right, but that is a crazy statistic.

This part in bold seems just crazy to me. I'm sure you're right, but that is a crazy statistic.

There was a point when some southern teams wouldn't play northern teams because northern teams played black players. Not sure if that played a part in their history or not.

In 1965 there were no SEC teams that were integrated. Georgia had their first black player join the team in 1971.

Missouri, now a part of the SEC, was integrated, but was not a part of the SEC at the time. Mind blowing to me that it is still that recent.

There are all of 3 non con to schedule now. That's not a lot of room to schedule there that isn't as likely (or more) to result in a disaster than a positive.

Scheduling out so far ahead is always a gamble anyway. Schedule a P5 team that does well this year, and maybe they have a huge scandal, or their Coach takes another job, or it turns out they really were carried by that one QB and suddenly that challenging matchup is suddenly not so challenging after all.

Yes there is some merit, since teams usually don't have super drastic changes in ability from year to year, but it still seems a bit silly.

In 1965 there were no SEC teams that were integrated. Georgia had their first black player join the team in 1971.

Missouri, now a part of the SEC, was integrated, but was not a part of the SEC at the time. Mind blowing to me that it is still that recent.

Yep. Agreed that it is just mind blowing.

I agree, but with Iowa State forced to play ioweeee every year they are not going to play another Big10 team.

2023 and 2024 are still open but do you think we schedule more than 1 of these a year? We have 2 vs BYU, Miss St, and CO already scheduled.

I wish the Gophers could play Indiana as often as they play New Mexico State and Miami OH

Top Bottom