PJ Fleck press conference OSU

This press conference is kind of a great response to Swingman's last thread.

If you don't think this guy knows what he's doing, just watch this press conference.

It amazes me how this program can hire one of the hottest young coaches in the country, a guy who did something with a MAC program that only a few have EVER done, and still bitch about the guy. Some seem to always want more, even when we've never really had sh^t. Finally have an on campus stadium, finally have facilities comparable to quality programs, and finally able to hire a hot coach. Yet some people expect him to come in here and do stuff in year one that NO coach in Gopher history has ever done in year 1.

I got news for ya, Jerry Kill didn't go 13-0 in the MAC, Glen Mason didn't, and Tracy Claeys sure in the hell wouldn't of, hell no one will probably ever even give me the chance!

You can dislike him and his enthusiasm and his talk about inexperience, but he is the best legitimate chance this program has had in 50 years, and that's damn tough to argue and I'll be glad to see how it pans out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't think this guy knows what he's doing, just watch this press conference.

It amazes me how this program can hire one of the hottest young coaches in the country, a guy who did something with a MAC program that only a few have EVER done, and still bitch about the guy. Some seem to always want more, even when we've never really had sh^t. Finally have an on campus stadium, finally have facilities comparable to quality programs, and finally able to hire a hot coach. Yet some people expect him to come in here and do stuff in year one that NO coach in Gopher history has ever done in year 1.

I got news for ya, Jerry Kill didn't go 13-0 in the MAC, Glen Mason didn't, and Tracy Claeys sure in the hell wouldn't of, hell no one will probably ever even give me the chance!

You can dislike him and his enthusiasm and his talk about inexperience, but he is the best legitimate chance this program has had in 50 years, and that's damn tough to argue and I'll be glad to see how it pans out.

+5000 well said

You mean GAME ONE... not YEAR ONE. lol.

Great post.

I am going to use it...+infinity! Well said.

Agree........some of the trolls/clowns on this site are really starting to piss me off.

Yes, but he didn't go to the fair to be interviewed in person by Sid. And he just ran up the middle. And he blamed Carpenter for missing those field goals. And he admitted that he played just to win rather than run up the score. And he said the interception in the end zone was Rhoda's fault. Did I mention that he blamed Carpenter for missing those field goals? Also, how in the hell could he look for his wife after the game instead of being with the team?

So I watched the video. About the only added insight I took from the press conference was the process that Steven Richardson is going through to fit with Fleck's personality.
That was something that was honest and candid from Fleck, which I appreciate. Fleck is like an exotic food, you have to acquire a taste for the flavor because it isn't an instant enjoyment.
Fleck is an acquired taste. He's growing on me.

Great thread. If you don't love PJ you are a troll. There is no logical reason anyone would be bothered by PJ. + big numbers because we all agree with each other. Others want him to fail.

When PJ gets on a roll, is there anyone who comes to mind who speaks with more passion, generates more excitement and maybe even is more inspiring than PJ? We'd all agree he's elite at that...right? That's a given from PJ Fleck. We can all agree and go wow each time he he goes unplugged. It's cool. Right?

All I'm saying is he's still gotta do and accomplish all he talks about. Discussing and analyzing how he goes about it is interesting to me. Saying out loud the things I see that I don't feel he's doing...those things that he says he is going to do, those things he says are important to him. Those are just my observations, my questioning if he is really doing what he said he was going to do. If they upset you, don't read what I write. Blindly worship him. That's cool. That's not who I am. But there are a lot of things I like about PJ and I spend toooo much time worrying if the Gophers are going to win each time they play. Also know, I realize there are multiple ways to be successful at accomplishing something...never saying my way is the only way.

I believe PJ is going to be successful at Minnesota. I have little doubt of that. Could it happen quicker? Could it be done differently? Discussing that is the fun of the board for me. PJ is good. Nick Saban is a successful coach...if I was a Bama guy I'd analyze and share things I disagree with about him too. There's nothing to argue about regarding whether PJ is capable of giving awesome talks.

When PJ gets on a roll, is there anyone who comes to mind who speaks with more passion, generates more excitement and maybe even is more inspiring than PJ? We'd all agree he's elite at that...right? That's a given from PJ Fleck. We can all agree and go wow each time he he goes unplugged. It's cool. Right?

All I'm saying is he's still gotta do and accomplish all he talks about. Discussing and analyzing how he goes about it is interesting to me. Saying out loud the things I see that I don't feel he's doing...those things that he says he is going to do, those things he says are important to him. Those are just my observations, my questioning if he is really doing what he said he was going to do. If they upset you, don't read what I write. Blindly worship him. That's cool. That's not who I am. But there are a lot of things I like about PJ and I spend toooo much time worrying if the Gophers are going to win each time they play. Also know, I realize there are multiple ways to be successful at accomplishing something...never saying my way is the only way.

I believe PJ is going to be successful at Minnesota. I have little doubt of that. Could it happen quicker? Could it be done differently? Discussing that is the fun of the board for me. PJ is good. Nick Saban is a successful coach...if I was a Bama guy I'd analyze and share things I disagree with about him too. There's nothing to argue about regarding whether PJ is capable of giving awesome talks.

I agree with you on that, what else do we have other than 'wait and see'? I'm excited about his enthusiasm and his salesmanship. I think he's our best chance at building something out of nothing as an earlier poster mentioned. I for one am not going to judge him until he completely F's up or has made it 4-5 years and failed. What bothers me about the negativity is the expectation for instant gratification. Vince Lombardi could walk through the doors of TCF and the Gophers would still be a below average major conference team. These things take TIME. Give the man the 4-5 years that he's due and let's see what we've got. All you have to do is look across the aisle to the office of Richard Pitino to understand that you have to let the process play out with a new coach. Three years in and he was a disaster. Four years in and he's a 'miracle worker'. FOUR years should mean a lot to a college sports fan.

Great thread. If you don't love PJ you are a troll. There is no logical reason anyone would be bothered by PJ. + big numbers because we all agree with each other. Others want him to fail.

He knows exactly what he's doing. The problem is, he's all-in on the PJ Fleck brand, not Gopher Football. Shockingly even the AD's marketing is all-in.
I didn't think I'd see the day where Ski-U-Mah was so easily tossed aside.

So I watched the video. About the only added insight I took from the press conference was the process that Steven Richardson is going through to fit with Fleck's personality.
That was something that was honest and candid from Fleck, which I appreciate. Fleck is like an exotic food, you have to acquire a taste for the flavor because it isn't an instant enjoyment.
Fleck is an acquired taste. He's growing on me.

23:00

"That's the time when you have to row the boat. Grab an oar when no one else would. That's how you get to somewhere legendary."

There were numerous if you don't love Kill/Claeys you're a troll threads too. Just how it goes on GHole.

I think there should be a rule that the press can't ask a question unless they speak into a microphone. Then again, why doesn't the athletic dept. furnish microphones for the press so we don't have to guess what their questions are?

23:00

"That's the time when you have to row the boat. Grab an oar when no one else would. That's how you get to somewhere legendary."
Reminds me of the late Sen. Robert Kennedy's statement, "Some men see things the way they are and ask why. I dreamed things that never were and ask why not."

He knows exactly what he's doing. The problem is, he's all-in on the PJ Fleck brand, not Gopher Football. Shockingly even the AD's marketing is all-in.

While Ski-U-Mah has been around the U a long time, it was only recently (2 years) attempted as a cheer/chant at games. I've been going to games since the mid-90's and religiously since 1999 and never heard it uttered until the PA guy tried it at the beginning of games. Most people don't even know how to say it correctly, so while you might feel it's being tossed aside, I'd argue that it's never been used more than it is now.

While Ski-U-Mah has been around the U a long time, it was only recently (2 years) attempted as a cheer/chant at games. I've been going to games since the mid-90's and religiously since 1999 and never heard it uttered until the PA guy tried it at the beginning of games. Most people don't even know how to say it correctly, so while you might feel it's being tossed aside, I'd argue that it's never been used more than it is now.

100% agree. Fleck says it at the end of every single interview: "Ski U Mah, Row the Boat." I have no idea how anyone could say it's been tossed aside. Who was the last Gophers coach to ever utter Ski U Mah?

I like PJ Fleck. I was all-in from his opening press conference. So I'm biased. That said, each time I've heard him speak since then has confirmed to me that he knows what he's doing and has a plan. This press conference was another example of that. From the details of preparing for this week's game on the West coast to the gameplan for week 1 (ran inside zone 31 times...for a very specific purpose) to the culture and recruiting. That said, not everyone was all-in from the opening press conference. They continue to evaluate. OK, great. Doesn't mean Fleck is a dink -- just means people haven't totally bought in.

I think there should be a rule that the press can't ask a question unless they speak into a microphone. Then again, why doesn't the athletic dept. furnish microphones for the press so we don't have to guess what their questions are?

Yep, I think the same thing every time...it's not like this is something new sports teams just started. Very few regardless of sport, seem to have the reporters mic'd.

You play earmuffs every time we sung the rouser?

You play earmuffs every time we sung the rouser?

Was going to say the same thing. Using it as a stand alone cheer at games is relatively new, but it's definitely in the rouser and I've known that since I was in kindergarten (35+ years ago). Maybe people don't know the words to the rouser?

Edit - here are the words to the rouser (pasted from Wikipedia):

Minnesota, hats off to thee!
To thy colors true we shall ever be,
Firm and strong, united are we.
Rah, rah, rah, for Ski-U-Mah,
Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah!
Rah for the U of M.

[Repeat]

M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A!
Minnesota, Minnesota!
Yay, Gophers! RAH!

(The phrase 'Ski-U-Mah' was part of an early cheer for the U of M.)

Gopher fans traditionally thrust their fists in the air during the spell-out, and make a circular motion with their fist during the yell.

Original Lyrics (As published in the Minneapolis Tribune, November 21, 1909)

Rah, rah,
Honor to our college Minnesota U.
Loyal to thy standards We'll never be untrue.
Underneath thy pennant Pulses beat with pride
And victory e'er shall be our aim O'er the nationwide, (Yell)

Minnesota, hats off to thee,
To your colors true we shall ever be...
Firm and strong, united are we.
Rah, rah, rah, for Ski-U-Ma,
Rah, rah, rah, rah, rah, rah, rah,
Rah, for the U of M. Ah........ (repeat refrain)

This is a good post, critical, but fair.

I have to admit I was a little taken aback when I saw how prominent "Row the Boat" was on our helmet and I sort of agree with your analysis that he's "all in" with his marketing.

But on the other hand, Ski-U-Mah for the sake of Ski-U-Mah doesn't do much for me. It's almost 2020 and Gopher football hasn't been nationally relevant for .... well we all know how long its been. People who actually remember Ski-U-Mah during a National Championship run are sort of like WWII vets, fewer each year (no offense).

I would gladly relegate Ski-U-Mah to the #2 spot if it means B1G Championships and a shot at the Playoffs. And if the Fleck experiment is a disaster, we can bring back Ski-U-Mah from the back burner and jettison our oars.

I'll put my helmet on and prepared to be slammed for these comments.

Funny you think that because I've seen and heard Ski-U-Mah more in the last eight months than I ever have before. But sure, he's tossed it aside....

Top Bottom