PJ Fleck press conference OSU

While Ski-U-Mah has been around the U a long time, it was only recently (2 years) attempted as a cheer/chant at games. I've been going to games since the mid-90's and religiously since 1999 and never heard it uttered until the PA guy tried it at the beginning of games. Most people don't even know how to say it correctly, so while you might feel it's being tossed aside, I'd argue that it's never been used more than it is now.

U must go to different games than I did- was a cheer in the mid-late 80s in the dome- then again I can understand trying to forget most of those experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you think that because I've seen and heard Ski-U-Mah more in the last eight months than I ever have before. But sure, he's tossed it aside....

Exactly what I was thinking.

I've heard Ski-U-Mah more than ever.

It's strange how hard people look for things to be critical of when they just don't like someone.

Funny you think that because I've seen and heard Ski-U-Mah more in the last eight months than I ever have before. But sure, he's tossed it aside....

Thank you for continuing to defend "common sense" at every single possible moment.

I'm just looking forward to the press preferring to ask about next week's foe as opposed making him answer the culture/coach questions again and again and again...

Enjoyed unscripted PJ though.

U must go to different games than I did- was a cheer in the mid-late 80s in the dome- then again I can understand trying to forget most of those experiences!

Ditto.

there is a middle ground between "Fleck is a God" and "I hate Fleck."

The guy is a football coach. Like all coaches, he will be judged based on the performance of his team.

I watched the Buffalo game, and I suppose my #1 reaction was feeling surprised at the offense. Not so much the result, but just the look of the offense, the play-calling, etc. One of the points people kept making about Fleck was that he was an offensive guy. He coached high-scoring teams with a varied offense. And his system was supposed to be based around the concept of putting playmakers in position to make plays.

Outside of the 61yd TD pass to Johnson, there wasn't a lot of sizzle to the offense. Now, granted, there may have been strategic reasons for keeping it vanilla. I'm just saying I was hoping to see more variety - get a better sense of what the Gopher offense is going to look like under the new system and new staff.

It's like going to dinner at your relatives, and expecting a big steak, and getting meatloaf. Now, I like meatloaf, but if you are hoping for steak, and get meatloaf, there's going to be a let-down. That's how I felt after watching the first game.

The guy is a football coach. Like all coaches, he will be judged based on the performance of his team.

I watched the Buffalo game, and I suppose my #1 reaction was feeling surprised at the offense. Not so much the result, but just the look of the offense, the play-calling, etc. One of the points people kept making about Fleck was that he was an offensive guy. He coached high-scoring teams with a varied offense. And his system was supposed to be based around the concept of putting playmakers in position to make plays.

Outside of the 61yd TD pass to Johnson, there wasn't a lot of sizzle to the offense. Now, granted, there may have been strategic reasons for keeping it vanilla. I'm just saying I was hoping to see more variety - get a better sense of what the Gopher offense is going to look like under the new system and new staff.

Outside of the 61yd TD pass to Johnson, there wasn't a lot of sizzle to the offense. Now, granted, there may have been strategic reasons for keeping it vanilla. I'm just saying I was hoping to see more variety - get a better sense of what the Gopher offense is going to look like under the new system and new staff. It's like going to dinner at your relatives, and expecting a big steak, and getting meatloaf. Now, I like meatloaf, but if you are hoping for steak, and get meatloaf, there's going to be a let-down. That's how I felt after watching the first game.

Rationale post. Hopefully, we see a little more creativity in the offense and continued hard nosed defense.

Obviously, I'm a big fan of the Fleck hire, but I'll say the most disingenuous thing I think Fleck says is, "6 coaches in 11 years". Beyond that, I really don't think he has said anything too disingenuous. To count Jeff Horton as a head coach is ridiculous. But beyond that, I couldn't tell you one thing that Fleck has said that is ridiculous. I think he's doing all the right things and pouring his heart and soul not only into the program, but into the state of Minnesota. Kill was great, and I think Fleck is better. 2 best Gopher football coaches in my 45 years, and yes, that includes Lou Holtz. Kill did more for this program than Holtz. Fleck has a chance to do more than all of them.

While Ski-U-Mah has been around the U a long time, it was only recently (2 years) attempted as a cheer/chant at games. I've been going to games since the mid-90's and religiously since 1999 and never heard it uttered until the PA guy tried it at the beginning of games. Most people don't even know how to say it correctly, so while you might feel it's being tossed aside, I'd argue that it's never been used more than it is now.

Exactly. 100% correct.

Obviously, I'm a big fan of the Fleck hire, but I'll say the most disingenuous thing I think Fleck says is, "6 coaches in 11 years". Beyond that, I really don't think he has said anything too disingenuous. To count Jeff Horton as a head coach is ridiculous. But beyond that, I couldn't tell you one thing that Fleck has said that is ridiculous. I think he's doing all the right things and pouring his heart and soul not only into the program, but into the state of Minnesota. Kill was great, and I think Fleck is better. 2 best Gopher football coaches in my 45 years, and yes, that includes Lou Holtz. Kill did more for this program than Holtz. Fleck has a chance to do more than all of them.

If you go from when Mason was hired to now, sans Horton, it's five in 20. The social studies teacher bit is technically true but it was about as long as a cup of coffee. He brings it up an awful lot.

I was grateful for the insight Fleck gave pertaining to Steven Richardson, that was honest insight. Unfortunately, we don't get that very often from PJ. Those of us that follow the program and have heard PJ often can now recite his mantra verbatim. Fleck was on Morning Drive this morning with Childers and Neuheisel and I sat through commercials before he came on. There was nothing insightful, nothing new, same old stuff, boring boring boring! I honestly wonder if he has any substance at all, or is it all just one hyperbole after another. So far, his offense was as multi dimensional as he is. I hope both the offense and his personality opens up quickly!

Maybe not all are disingenuous by definition, but there are easily 100 plus deceitful or hyperbole statements from PJ delivered and framed as crushing negative facts with no comparisons. "I had to take a pay cut to come here." In the same breath about taking the job, "I tell my kids you have to be willing to sacrifice sometimes." "ONLY 41 lettermen." "Least experienced quarterback situation in the entire country." "51% of the team are freshmen" "Least experienced team in the country". "9 and 4 has nothing to do with us this year"....For perspective example: try taking over a program that truly has a bad culture, that has won 2 games last year and the year before or something similar, players don't go to class instead of a program that was already tops in the country in public academics before you got here. Try a culture closer to losing scholarships. Compare that scenario and tell me 9 and 4 doesn't matter. He's down playing the accomplishments to get the program to the point it's at now. He's not starting at the bottom. The starting line for Jerry was way farther back than where it is for PJ. To dismiss 9 and 4 as not relevant is disingenuous. On and on pretty much weekly....

Last year's 9-4 is completely irrelevant. Last year has nothing to do with the program going forward. No matter how many times Fleck points that out it's far from disingenuous.

Say what you will about Horton, he brought home Floyd. Claeys did not.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Last year's 9-4 is completely irrelevant. Last year has nothing to do with the program going forward. No matter how many times Fleck points that out it's far from disingenuous.

Incorrect. Many of the players who are playing this year, in 2018, and in 2019 played in that 9-4 season. It has a lot to do with this program going forward.

I was grateful for the insight Fleck gave pertaining to Steven Richardson, that was honest insight. Unfortunately, we don't get that very often from PJ. Those of us that follow the program and have heard PJ often can now recite his mantra verbatim. Fleck was on Morning Drive this morning with Childers and Neuheisel and I sat through commercials before he came on. There was nothing insightful, nothing new, same old stuff, boring boring boring! I honestly wonder if he has any substance at all, or is it all just one hyperbole after another. So far, his offense was as multi dimensional as he is. I hope both the offense and his personality opens up quickly!

You've heard him before. Most of that audience likely hadn't. Newsflash: Coaches say the same things over and over all the time. To be demanding something new and exciting every time you hear him is an odd and unrealistic expectation.

Maybe not all are disingenuous by definition, but there are easily 100 plus deceitful or hyperbole statements from PJ delivered and framed as crushing negative facts with no comparisons. "I had to take a pay cut to come here." In the same breath about taking the job, "I tell my kids you have to be willing to sacrifice sometimes." "ONLY 41 lettermen." "Least experienced quarterback situation in the entire country." "51% of the team are freshmen" "Least experienced team in the country". "9 and 4 has nothing to do with us this year"....For perspective example: try taking over a program that truly has a bad culture, that has won 2 games last year and the year before or something similar, players don't go to class instead of a program that was already tops in the country in public academics before you got here. Try a culture closer to losing scholarships. Compare that scenario and tell me 9 and 4 doesn't matter. He's down playing the accomplishments to get the program to the point it's at now. He's not starting at the bottom. The starting line for Jerry was way farther back than where it is for PJ. To dismiss 9 and 4 as not relevant is disingenuous. On and on pretty much weekly....

Irony is funny!

To be claiming "easily 100 plus deceitful or byperbole statements from PJ" when you can only think of six is awesome.

Irony is funny!

To be claiming "easily 100 plus deceitful or byperbole statements from PJ" when you can only think of six is awesome.

6 is the new 100

Obviously, I'm a big fan of the Fleck hire, but I'll say the most disingenuous thing I think Fleck says is, "6 coaches in 11 years".

I didn't feel that was disingenuous at all. Jeff Horton was the interim head coach after Brewster was let go, and while he didn't have a chance to try to be named permanent head coach the players who stayed with the team after Jerry Kill was hired had to adapt to a 3rd HC's personality, preferences, style, etc.

I'm not implying you're reaction is wrong, only that I think Fleck genuinely believes that he inherited a program with a history of instability, as evidenced by the number of coaching changes in a relatively short period of time.

Top Bottom