Gopher football weekly with PJ Fleck on KFAN 12-1pm

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Anyone else listening? Mike Grimm and Mark Rosen do a nice job.

I missed the first 25 minutes due to work stuff.

Fleck brings energy, says some ridiculous stuff ("I'm proud of our players for not getting hurt") and made a TON of excuses for losing at OSU (travel, having to land in Portland due to an airport being under construction, dehydration from traveling, time changes, 1 hour drive in gsmeday due to lack of hotels, etc etc etc)

However, I like the guy. Energy is good. Curious to see how he changes as the season progresses. Can't always talk about how great opponents are.

travel, having to land in Portland due to an airport being under construction, dehydration from traveling, time changes, 1 hour drive in gsmeday due to lack of hotels, etc etc etc
Hard to believe road teams ever win

Fleck brings energy, says some ridiculous stuff ("I'm proud of our players for not getting hurt") and made a TON of excuses for losing at OSU (travel, having to land in Portland due to an airport being under construction, dehydration from traveling, time changes, 1 hour drive in gsmeday due to lack of hotels, etc etc etc)

PJ downplaying expectations? Unheard of....

$20 says he said the phrase "54 Freshmen" sometime during the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My post was unintentionally negative.

What he is saying isn't new.

Didn't Kill always say "they are a ______ team with a great coach"
Where the blank was super complimentary?

Anyone else listening? Mike Grimm and Mark Rosen do a nice job.

I missed the first 25 minutes due to work stuff.

However, I like the guy. Energy is good. Curious to see how he changes as the season progresses. Can't always talk about how great opponents are.

I would bet Kill and/or Claeys would have said some of the same things. Not all, but some.

It seems as if people are upset that PJ is aware of all of these factors.

It's nice to know that he's that aware of all of these different factors like air dehydration (I'm sure I've suffered from this as well) so that he's got the ability to prepare the team accordingly the best he can.

Gary Anderson agrees with Fleck about for Big Ten teams playing out there. He thinks the Midwest teams are at a disadvantage playing out West.:

"But despite the familiarity with the Golden Gophers, Andersen hopes these types of nonconference matchups with Big Ten foes become a scheduling strategy of the past. He noted that Saturday's game will kick off at 9 p.m. CST and will put Minnesota's team back in Minneapolis in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

"I'm not in favor of flying across the country and flying over however many football teams that is to get there," Andersen said. "That's just my own opinion, and I'll speak my piece on that and then we'll make decisions ...

"If you don't have to do it, why do that? I know those are tough trips for kids."

OSU (1-1) played at Michigan during Andersen's first season in a game that kicked off at 9 a.m. PST. The Beavers play at Ohio State in 2018, then have a home-and-home series with Oklahoma State in 2019 and 2020. All those games were scheduled before Andersen and current athletic director Scott Barnes arrived in Corvallis."

HOWEVER, he's fine with playing teams like Texas, Florida and Georgia. Some problems you have to put up with. :D

"We would like to get into a place to where we recruit more. Maybe it's bringing a team in here from Texas or bringing a team in here from Florida or bringing a team in here from Georgia somehow, some way, where it's actually tied more into our kids within the recruiting base."

When asked Monday to draft his ideal type of nonconference schedule, Andersen said he'd like to play one Football Championship Subdivision opponent and then two opponents "that give us a chance to get better and prepare for the Pac-12."

"I'm not saying we're trying to script everything for success," Andersen said. "But I know we only have three (nonconference) games, and then we have nine very tough, physical games on our schedule. The last time I looked, the Pac-12 is highly competitive.

"You always have those opportunities to win those games, but I just think if you stay on your side of the country and play those games, I believe everybody's in a better spot"."
:cool:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pet peeve: mispronouncing or misspelling of names on the roster

Chris AUT-man-Bell (not AUTUMN-Bell)
Andrew STELT-er (not STET-ler)

former players
The EK-pe brothers (not EP-ke)

Anyone notice how Jamie was pronouncing Winfield Jr's name as "Antonio?"

Pet peeve: mispronouncing or misspelling of names on the roster

Chris AUT-man-Bell (not AUTUMN-Bell)
Andrew STELT-er (not STET-ler)

former players
The EK-pe brothers (not EP-ke)

Anyone notice how Jamie was pronouncing Winfield Jr's name as "Antonio?"

That's the way it was spelled in the program

I have sworn off listening to PJ speak so I haven't listened to this show, but I heard on KFAN that he compared the football team to a child who has gone through 6 divorces. If true, he is an absolute windbag. Cue someone saying "that's what recruits want to hear".

I have sworn off listening to PJ speak so I haven't listened to this show, but I heard on KFAN that he compared the football team to a child who has gone through 6 divorces. If true, he is an absolute windbag. Cue someone saying "that's what recruits want to hear".

That's what recruits want to hear. [emoji3]

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

He did...

It seems as if people are upset that PJ is aware of all of these factors.

It's nice to know that he's that aware of all of these different factors like air dehydration (I'm sure I've suffered from this as well) so that he's got the ability to prepare the team accordingly the best he can.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qCrtXcKIYTzH2" width="480" height="317" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/mad-staring-qCrtXcKIYTzH2">via GIPHY</a></p>

Honestly, this is borderline comedy from Peej. FtF, dehydration can cause brain shrinkage. I'm just saying. What's next: bed bugs, turbulence, brown M and Ms in the pre-game meal menu? Just show up, sleep, get up, play.

Top Bottom