Bad Wins

John Galt

Reaction score
Make no mistake, Thursday's game left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Yes it was a win, but a bad win. Great teams and even good teams occasionally will roll poor competition. Let's review some of our "bad wins" over the past few years:

1. 17-7 win over Buffalo (2017)
2. 34-32 win over Rutgers (2016)
3. 10-7 win over Kent St. (2015)
4. 27-24 win over Ohio (2015)

The Ohio game is a borderline bad win. There have been many other close games against teams we thought we would do better against that were close. Oregon St and Colorado St last year were 1 score games. Colorado St in 2015. San Jose St in 2014 (it wasn't that close but it sure was ugly).

Teams that can blow other teams out usually have a few things going for them: explosive defensive ends that generate significant pressure and create turnovers, the threat of a deep passing game and multiple players on offense that can score from anywhere on the field. The fact that these areas have been deficiencies is why we fail to blow teams out even when we have had good teams and expect to win by a few scores. Count me in the group that believes the last staff maximized the potential on the roster... but recruiting was the downfall that prevented us from moving from good to great.

Bottom line: it was a win, but discouraging because a good team should have been able to easily handle Buffalo.

Make no mistake, Thursday's game left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Yes it was a win, but a bad win. Great teams and even good teams occasionally will roll poor competition. Let's review some of our "bad wins" over the past few years:

The Ohio game is a borderline bad win. There have been many other close games against teams we thought we would do better against that were close. Oregon St and Colorado St last year were 1 score games. Colorado St in 2015. San Jose St in 2014 (it wasn't that close but it sure was ugly).

Teams that can blow other teams out usually have a few things going for them: explosive defensive ends that generate significant pressure and create turnovers, the threat of a deep passing game and multiple players on offense that can score from anywhere on the field. The fact that these areas have been deficiencies is why we fail to blow teams out even when we have had good teams and expect to win by a few scores. Count me in the group that believes the last staff maximized the potential on the roster... but recruiting was the downfall that prevented us from moving from good to great.

Bottom line: it was a win, but discouraging because a good team should have been able to easily handle Buffalo.

No such thing as a bad win. A gut check, or character win, but not a bad win. Finding a way/ will to win when the team is playing poorly or otherwise challenged is much more valuable than crushing an opponent.

I was at all those, crowd was definitely antsy

Kent State after a mitch interception that was returned for 6 points Jerry and company just decided only acceptable play was RUTM

Claeys should have been fired afternoon that Rutgers debacle.

I guess I would say there are disappointing wins, but I don't believe in bad wins. The Gophers - love 'em or hate 'em, are not a helmet school. They are not the type of school that other teams fear to play.

Even when the Gophers have had really good teams, they still found ways to lose games that many fans thought they should have won.

So, I take no win for granted. A win is a win is a win.

"Bad" wins are like "bad" sex or "bad" halloween candy. Not a concept I endorse.

No such thing as a bad win. A gut check, or character win, but not a bad win. Finding a way/ will to win when the team is playing poorly or otherwise challenged is much more valuable than crushing an opponent.

Bingo, give that man a cigar!!!!!

I'd add the 39-38 win over Purdue at home in 2014. Took a 50+ yarder from Santoso late in the 4th qtr to win it.

But I'll take a bad win over watching the Coyotes scamper on 4th and 1 on a naked boot leg for touchdown for 35+ yards

Make no mistake, Thursday's game left me with a bad taste

You're drumbeat continues, but no, we don't need to fire the Coaching staff because you didn't like the margin of victory.

You should just bet them straight-up from now on.

I was at all those, crowd was definitely antsy

Kent State after a mitch interception that was returned for 6 points Jerry and company just decided only acceptable play was RUTM

I think it was a Rashad Still fumble.

Extremely conservative/vanilla game plan, especially on offense. Uncharacteristic missed FGs. Extremely lopsided TOP, I never felt Gophs were not in control. Defense is well rested, offense got a passing game going, no injuries that I am aware of...so in great shape for a nice road win this Saturday.

As Fleck said, they did what was needed to win, and by design, not much more IMHO. Not their best game, but the game plan was so buttoned down that it actually probably hampered their ability to "play their best"..as he puts it.

1:48 since the initial posting of this thread and no comment from SPOOFIN on this topic.

I will start contacting area hospitals.

I completely agree that teams develop character by having some close wins when they don't play their best. Every team will have some off days, and how they respond when they are "off" is important to their development.

My point is that sometimes, good teams will destroy inferior opponents. That hasn't happened consistently over the past 5 years, and it certainly didn't in game #1. When we become a really good team, we will finally see some blowout wins against weak competition.

Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't feel more optimistic about our chances at OSU and for the season if we had beat Buffalo 38-3?

Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't feel more optimistic about our chances at OSU and for the season if we had beat Buffalo 38-3?

Can anyone, outside of those hoping they lose 6,7,8 games this year, say they'd be happier if they lost to them?

Can anyone, outside of those hoping they lose 6,7,8 games this year, say they'd be happier if they lost to them?

No one is hoping to lose 6+ games. My prediction was for 7-8 wins. I don't feel great about my prediction after what I watched on Thursday. Hopefully that changes Saturday...

It could've easily been 30-7 if Carpenter makes his field goals and Rhoda doesn't throw the INT. Not as bad as the Ohio/Kent St games where we were terrible.

No one is hoping to lose 6+ games. My prediction was for 7-8 wins. I don't feel great about my prediction after what I watched on Thursday. Hopefully that changes Saturday...

Thought they'd come out in mid-season form huh?

As for predictions, me too, but you're wrong about nobody around here hoping for a bad year.

Unless you think there won't be any "See! He can't coach in a big time conference!" or "See! Kill and Claeys left him no talent all!" if they actually have a bad season.

We both know that ain't true either.

Thought they'd come out in mid-season form huh?

As for predictions, me too, but you're wrong about nobody around here hoping for a bad year.

Unless you think there won't be any "See! He can't coach in a big time conference!" or "See! Kill and Claeys left him no talent all!" if they actually have a bad season.

We both know that ain't true either.

I'm sure Buffalo also wasn't in mid-season form... it was their first game as well.

I don't believe even the Fleck haters are hoping for a bad year... if anyone is they really need to find a new team.

I may be alone here but the game never felt in doubt. Their TD drive...perfect passes are hard to defend.

I do agree we need to identify and use weapons in the passing game to loosen up the run. THey were crowding the line all day. Same as always...

Hopefully one of Lingen or the other young tight ends, one or more of the WRs becomes a reliable target. Also need the QBs to find the open man, run when called for or the offense won't go.

I may be alone here but the game never felt in doubt. Their TD drive...perfect passes are hard to defend.

I do agree we need to identify and use weapons in the passing game to loosen up the run. THey were crowding the line all day. Same as always...

Hopefully one of Lingen or the other young tight ends, one or more of the WRs becomes a reliable target. Also need the QBs to find the open man, run when called for or the offense won't go.

I get what you're saying, but considering the QBs & their experience, a first game under a new coach, and just being a first game in general, I was a lot less frustrated over this game than some of the others in the past.

You certainly weren't.

Agree completely that Lingen needs to have a big year for us to be successful. He caught the 1st pass of the game and then disappeared.

They ran 31 times inside the tackles. They showed absolutely nothing on offence. No jet sweeps, no screens. We are young up front and and Fleck was very vanilla for multiple reason.

+1 Just bad fans. Here we go again with the asterisk crew. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom