Possibility of Oregon State Postponement?

per STrib: If Gophers-Oregon State game time moves, players will roll with yet another change

The Gophers football team has spent the past eight months adjusting to big change, and another could come Saturday. Or before.

Concerns over air quality brought on by wildfires in Oregon’s Willamette Valley has prompted the Pac-12 Conference to monitor the situation and consider alternative start times and even game days for Minnesota vs. Oregon State, scheduled for a 9 p.m. (Central) kickoff Saturday in Corvallis. The Pac-12 also is watching Nebraska vs. Oregon, scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Central in Eugene, about 45 miles south of Corvallis.

“Based upon the information provided by the air protection agency and the expert health and safety advice of the respective University medical professionals, a decision will be made on whether or not to adjust game times and/or dates with the safety of student-athletes and fans as a priority,” Andrew Walker, the Pac-12’s vice president of public affairs, wrote in an e-mail to the (Portland) Oregonian.

The smoke in Eugene, where an air protection agency listed the air quality as “hazardous,” prompted Oregon to move its Tuesday practice to Florence, near the Pacific coast. The air quality reportedly is not as bad in Corvallis.

“There is a lot of smoke in the air; I’ve gotten that type of message in terms of the wildfires,” Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said. “But those are all things that we can’t let affect us.”

http://www.startribune.com/if-gophe...-will-roll-with-yet-another-change/442819363/

Go Gophers!!

I am 45 minutes north of Portland and about 75 miles downriver from the gorge. More importantly 2 hours north of Corvalis. I had ash on my car yesterday morning and my daughter's high school soccer game was called due to the smoke in the air. The wind was from the east, which we normally do not get. The Gorge fire is the culprit for us. Corvalis is also likely getting smoke f fires in Central Oregon.

We came thru the Gorge on Sunday and saw the fire from the interstate 84. SInce then 84 has been closed and the fire jumped the Columbia.

The wind is supposed to shift back and there is a chance of showers over the next few days. Both of those things should help. Fingers crossed.

This has got to be making it harder for the Oregon teams to prepare for the games.

Woman Witnessed Teen Tossing Firecrackers Into Gorge: “There Was a Whole Group of Kids Who Found It Funny To Do This”
“Just as I was passing them I said 'Do you realize you just started a forest fire?' and the kid said, 'Well, what are we supposed to do about it now?’”

Portland resident Liz FitzGerald witnessed a teenage boy throwing the firecrackers that are believed to have sparked a wildfire now tearing through more than 10,000 acres of the Columbia River Gorge. She alerted police.

This afternoon, Oregon State Police announced that the suspect is a 15-year-old boy from Vancouver, Wash.

FitzGerald first told her story to Oregon Public Broadcasting this morning. She then gave a detailed recounting of the events of Sept. 2 to WW.

Here's her account of what she saw.

"It was 100 degrees in town and I wanted to be in some water. Some friends of mine had gone up to Punch Bowl [Falls] about a month earlier and I'd seen video of them jumping in the waterfall and it looked awesome to me.

I decided to go up there because of the water and the last time I had been up there was 20 years ago because the trail is kind of sketchy and made me nervous because of the 400 foot drop.

I went up and saw the sign that said the trail was closed at 3 miles because of the fire.

When I came up to 1.5 miles up the trail, I came upon a large group of teenagers. They were kind of flanking the trail and I walked right in between them. I was standing right next to one of them who was filming and about four people away from me I saw a young boy lob a smoke bomb down into the ravine.

I said 'Do you realize how dangerous it is what you just did? They have the trail closed up ahead because of a raging wildfire.' I wanted to underscore the severity of what they just did. I said 'This whole area is so dry.'

They didn't say anything. And after he lobbed it I thought I heard a couple of girls giggle and the guy just filmed it like it was no big deal. And then they just continued down the trail.

I continued to walk up. I looked and saw smoke coming up from the smoke bomb and I just thought it was just from that. It was kind of crazy but I still had it on my mind about getting up to the water. I walked another two minutes or so and I thought 'If I get stuck in a wildfire because I was so determined to get to this watering hole, I would feel like a total idiot.'

Link

They should move both the Oregon and Oregon St. games to TCF... no bias or anything, it's just the logical choice.

I was in Denver over the weekend and air clarity there got steadily worse Saturday through Tuesday. Smoke from those fires (and some in Montana) are really affecting the air quality that far away so I don't doubt it's really bad in Oregon right now. Hopefully the weather pattern shift helps end the fires and clear things up.

Has anyone heard an update today? When would they make a decision to change the date? I would have to think by tomorrow.

Go Gophers!!

Has anyone heard an update today? When would they make a decision to change the date? I would have to think by tomorrow.

Go Gophers!!

Game moved to my back yard. 10 yard by 10 yard field. Band sits on my roof. I can hold maybe half a dozen people on my deck (you have to sign a waver).

Trees count as the playing surface.

Game moved to my back yard. 10 yard by 10 yard field. Band sits on my roof. I can hold maybe half a dozen people on my deck (you have to sign a waver).

Will there be oars? And if so, how many?

Go Gophers!!

Air is minimally better in Portland today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess Oregon state is practicing there. They wouldn't of practiced if air quality wasn't good enough I guess.

Air quality looks to be improving. Here is today's AQ Index for Corvaillis:

Air Quality Index (AQI)
Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups
Health Message: People with heart or lung disease, older adults, and children should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion.

Here is AQ Index forecast for tomorrow:

Air Quality Index (AQI)
Moderate Moderate
Health Message: Unusually sensitive people should consider reducing prolonged or heavy exertion.

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&cityid=715

Go Good AQI!!

Is gametime still 9pm? I could bring some of those pickle/cream cheese roll-up thingies.

Is gametime still 9pm? I could bring some of those pickle/cream cheese roll-up thingies.

9pm

Oh gawd no. I gotta get the kids to bed before then.

We'll start around 1pm. Split the difference there between the folks like me who like 11am starts and the lazy folks who do not.

Was really looking forward to this game

In all likelihood won't be able to since Irma is hitting here Sat night and I imagine the TV/internet will be the first thing that goes

US Bank then. A neutral site.

I originally thought that too but then Face the Facts mentioned it could be a double header... I'd really like that, like really really like that. Especially if the weather is nice.

This is an updated article about the Nebraska/Oregon game specifically. Can you imagine the Nebraska fans who will be out there already, if the game gets postponed that day?!

That's reason to be "optimistic" for Saturday, Niehaus said, but added it's still too early to provide a smoke forecast for more than 48 hours out. That depends on wildfire activity and wind.

"The smoke is supposed to return at some point," she said. "But we just don't know when. ... There are too many variables for us to look that far ahead of time."

LRAPA, Niehaus said, has been in daily contact with the University of Oregon and has passed along its findings to Oregon State, as well each school's administrators and medical staff monitor conditions in the lead-up to kickoff.

The decision whether to postpone Oregon's matchup with the Huskers or remain on schedule will be made Saturday "collaboratively" between the Pac-12 and UO after consulting with air quality experts, a school spokesman said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/09/as_oregon-nebraska_approaches.html

Go Gophers!!

I am all for moving both the MN-OSU & the NEB-OU games as a double header to "The Peoples Stadium".

US Bank will be rocking offering a smog-free environment with MN Nice. :eek:

Vikes play the Norleans Saints on Monday night 9/11.

The Twin Cities can capture a few Cornhusker dollars twice this season.

9pm

Oh gawd no. I gotta get the kids to bed before then.

We'll start around 1pm. Split the difference there between the folks like me who like 11am starts and the lazy folks who do not.

Running time?

Is the smoke level out there really any worse than a typical dorm room? (especially in Oregon)

Is the smoke level out there really any worse than a typical dorm room? (especially in Oregon)

Landed in Portland drove to the coast today. In Portland there is ash in the air and many people are wearing masks over their mouths. On the way to the coast I saw a plowed field that was eerily while. Quite unexpected. There was a westerly wind on the coast tonight but how far inland, who knows?

Top Bottom