Pioneer Press: Gophers’ pass rusher Tai’yon Devers held out by coach P.J. Fleck

I get the feeling Tracy Claeys created a GopherHole account...

No kidding. I can think of plenty close calls with previous coaching regimes, but the past is the past. No point in dragging up individual stinker games.

People like hello-world just get old listening to. Nothing Fleck ever does will be good enough because of his style.

I'm sure Fleck is too flashy for him, or maybe Fleck dated his sister in high school. Unfortunately for hello-world, Fleck is going to be here for a while, so he may as well get used to it and enjoy the ride.

No kidding. I can think of plenty close calls with previous coaching regimes, but the past is the past. No point in dragging up individual stinker games.

People like hello-world just get old listening to. Nothing Fleck ever does will be good enough because of his style.

I'm sure Fleck is too flashy for him, or maybe Fleck dated his sister in high school. Unfortunately for hello-world, Fleck is going to be here for a while, so he may as well get used to it and enjoy the ride.

I don't have a problem with Fleck.
I have a problem with that particular game, and I have a problem with keeping one of our best pass rushers off the field.
You can can make all the arguments you want, that game was atrocious, even Fleck knows it.
It might have been a disciplinary problem, but I'm willing to bet that the real issue is that Fleck's coordinator doesn't know how to use a 3-4 linebacker effectively and views him as expendable.

"Devers is not ready" is bullcrap, we've all seen him play at a level deserving of a role in this rotation, even if it was just for short bursts.

I have a problem with that particular game, and I have a problem with keeping one of our best pass rushers off the field.
You can can make all the arguments you want, that game was atrocious, even Fleck knows it.
It might have been a disciplinary problem, but I'm willing to bet that the real issue is that Fleck's coordinator doesn't know how to use a 3-4 linebacker effectively and views him as expendable.

"Devers is not ready" is bullcrap, we've all seen him play at a level deserving of a role in this rotation, even if it was just for short bursts.

So you're implying that they benched a player, to the point where he didn't wear pads to the game, just because they don't know what to do with him on the field?

So you're implying that they benched a player, to the point where he didn't wear pads to the game, just because they don't know what to do with him on the field?

I'm implying that if they saw him as useful in a 4-3 defense then he would be in the boat, not on the sideline.
Devers was built for the Claeys defense. He has to go through a _major_ transition to be useful to a Robb Smith defense.
Chances are that he won't be able to make that transition.

I'm implying that if they saw him as useful in a 4-3 defense then he would be in the boat, not on the sideline.
Devers was built for the Claeys defense. He has to go through a _major_ transition to be useful to a Robb Smith defense.

But you really think they would tell him to not put on pads because of that? What if someone gets hurt? You can not fit a scheme, and not be a starter, and still have pads on because someone could get hurt. Plus Fleck has said he could be back in a week or two. That doesn't sound like a "Doesn't fit our scheme" situation to me.

This is absolute BS. Where in the wide world of sports are these trolls coming from?

Has the thought occurred in your pea-sized brain that "he is not ready" means an off-the-field issue.

He wasn't even in pads, bro. It's a suspension.

Go away.

I'm kind of glad Claeys is gone because evidently coaching style breeds the style of fan and we have enough ornery people here.
Time for fans to be positive and optimistic.

We are 1-0 and we might go bowling this year!

I'm willing to bet also, tell me how much you want to wager.

I'm kind of glad Claeys is gone because evidently coaching style breeds the style of fan and we have enough ornery people here.
Time for fans to be positive and optimistic.

We are 1-0 and we might go bowling this year!

Hilarious considering the source

I'm willing to bet also, tell me how much you want to wager.

:) I've watched a lot of Arkansas defense over the last couple years.
Devers would not have had a place on that team unless he completely rebuilt himself as a DE.
You think he's going to get significant playing time here?

I had a feeling that might be the project, but if that's what Smith is trying to do then Devers will only be playing a few snaps a game for the next year or so.

Devers would not have had a place on that team unless he completely rebuilt himself as a DE.

I had a feeling that might be the project, but if that's what Smith is trying to do then Devers will only be playing a few snaps a game for the next year or so.

Did you watch Carter Coughlin and Blake Cashman play on Thursday?

My source says two-game suspension. Not going to repeat the infraction that I was told. Nothing unusual in the grand scheme of things.

I initially heard 3 games. Either way, doesn't seem he will play this week. Once back, they will still have to figure out <I>how</I> to use him [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh-huh.

From what I've heard, he has gained a decent amount of weight and yes, will get snaps. I have no problem with you "guessing" what the issue is, but your guess is wrong. Smith has the luxury or problem of a lot of undersized edge rushers, coughlin, devers cash kamal and we didn't even see Huff. They can't all play at the same time, but it's way early to do what you're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smell the mediocrity.

If you're going to troll, at least be good at it. Does your mom's basement have internet so you can scout Lane Kiffin? I hear he's quite the volatile coach as well, and he'll be in your city soon.

I hope that disagreeing with a coaching decision is not grounds to be labled a "troll." Plenty of people on this board disagreed with previous coaching positions, and I don't think they were trolls. They were Gopher fans who had a different point of view.

Hopefully, having a different point of view is not going to be grounds for "troll-shaming."

Having said that, I don't agree with Hello World, but he has a right to his opinion.

I just heard The Scoop from Dougie. He said Devers will not travel this weekend, but should be dressed for the MTSU game. Supposedly his mom is traveling here for that game.

I just heard The Scoop from Dougie. He said Devers will not travel this weekend, but should be dressed for the MTSU game. Supposedly his mom is traveling here for that game.

I guess that's the only way to be sure he'd be eligible for the mom game...

Is it shortage at certain positions or a philosophical change in defensive philosophy under Rob Smith?

How often did we get to the QB against Buffalo?

Is it shortage at certain positions or a philosophical change in defensive philosophy under Rob Smith?

We're short sizable DE's to run Smith's defense.
Smith isn't really a 'get to the QB' guy.
He's a contain the run, get coverage sacks guy.
He doesn't blitz much if ever, but he sets edges and tries to keep everything in front of him.
Very different from the Claeys blitz from everywhere approach.

Buffalo threw a lot of quick passes if memory serves (granted it often doesn't)... but even then they did get to the qb on a few of the long passes.

Plus Devers has gained about 25 lb. and gotten faster so he could be a real force.

Can't they convert some of the bigger idle WRs?

Top Bottom