Pioneer Press: Gophers’ pass rusher Tai’yon Devers held out by coach P.J. Fleck

We're short sizable DE's to run Smith's defense.
Smith isn't really a 'get to the QB' guy.
He's a contain the run, get coverage sacks guy.
He doesn't blitz much if ever, but he sets edges and tries to keep everything in front of him.
Very different from the Claeys blitz from everywhere approach.

Holy cow am I going to miss the Claeys/Sawvel defenses if true! I just hate the bend and don't break defenses...so boring...so little sacks...so few turn overs.

No one can deny that those were the best defenses that most of us had a chance to see ever in a Gopher uniform!

I agree. One of the successes that stands out to me from Thursday was towards the end of the game when our pass rushers finally got in the qb's face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy cow am I going to miss the Claeys/Sawvel defenses if true! I just hate the bend and don't break defenses...so boring...so little sacks...so few turn overs.

No one can deny that those were the best defenses that most of us had a chance to see ever in a Gopher uniform!

It was one game............

It was one game............

Your comment is why I hate other Gopher fans.
You all seem to only watch our team.
It's not just one game.
It's his entire philosophy.

Here it is shutting down one of the best running back in in the SEC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzvixiNvpUQ&list=PLRnbxguJxYOSqjQrXYN8t-lkMfNGY9BZo&index=16

Here it is getting burnt by one of the best short passing attacks in the SEC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a3Sq2Sc-1E&list=PLRnbxguJxYOSqjQrXYN8t-lkMfNGY9BZo&index=17

He coaches a boring defense.
Notice the complete lack of corner/safety blitzes, all three linebackers dropping back into coverage if they don't immediately identify a run, and a relentless push by a four (sometimes 5!) man line.
He gets sacks, but they're coverage sacks.

He is a veeery good coordinator, but he is very different from coach Claeys.
Also before you go cherry pick, yes he does blitz LSU a few times in that game successfully, but it's not like Claeys where someone was running an exotic blitz every other play.

I like defenses that turn the ball over on downs on a regular basis.

Your comment is why I hate other Gopher fans.
You all seem to only watch our team.
It's not just one game.
It's his entire philosophy.

Here it is shutting down one of the best running back in in the SEC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzvixiNvpUQ&list=PLRnbxguJxYOSqjQrXYN8t-lkMfNGY9BZo&index=16

Here it is getting burnt by one of the best short passing attacks in the SEC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a3Sq2Sc-1E&list=PLRnbxguJxYOSqjQrXYN8t-lkMfNGY9BZo&index=17

He coaches a boring defense.
Notice the complete lack of corner/safety blitzes, all three linebackers dropping back into coverage if they don't immediately identify a run, and a relentless push by a four (sometimes 5!) man line.
He gets sacks, but they're coverage sacks.

He is a veeery good coordinator, but he is very different from coach Claeys.
Also before you go cherry pick, yes he does blitz LSU a few times in that game successfully, but it's not like Claeys where someone was running an exotic blitz every other play.

How much of that was Bielema, since he's primarily a defense guy? Serious question. Here are some glimpses into what he did at Maine and Rutgers.
=====
Robb Smith leaving Maine.
Robb Smith joining Rutgers.
Robb Smith leaving Rutgers.

Although I'm a big fan of Claeys /Sawvel's defenses....we could've used a little more Rob Smith style during the Citrus Bowl. Just like a lot of fans (JT Barret) we have up a lot of scamper runs with guys spread all over. Vs mizzou they ran draw against us for 20 yards a pop..

Top Bottom