Well, we won." — Gary Andersen - Beaver's Edge

Iceland12

Reaction score
Oregon State's matchup with FCS opponent Portland State was supposed to be more of a tune-up game for the Beavers, and quite honestly, it was supposed to give the Beavs an easy win as they try to reach a bowl game.

But it wasn't an easy win as Portland State took the Beavers down to the wire. Oregon State had to come from behind on two separate occasions during the game, including Jake Luton's go-ahead touchdown pass to Isaiah Hodgins, but Portland State nearly sent the game into overtime with field goal attempt in the final seconds of the fourth quarter.

There are the negatives that come with the victory, but at the end of the day, like OSU head coach Gary Andersen put it, the Beavers won.

"Well, we won," Andersen said to open his postgame press conference. "My message to the team is that you can't win two until you win one. We've got one underneath our belt."

Offense, defense, and special teams - the Beavers are clearly not where they need to be after losing by 31 points to a Mountain West team and now barely beating a Big Sky opponent, but the No. 1 issue (at least, in my eyes) with the team is the defense.

Here's a very troubling statistic: the Beavers have given up 1,040 yards through two games.

"The biggest problem right now I would say is that there's not one part of the run game defense that we're playing well," Andersen said about OSU's run D. "The edges of the defense aren't secure, we aren't tackling well, the middle of the defense is soft at times, and we have to become a team that can tackle and secure the edges in the run game."..

The Beavers lost to the Gophers on the road to open the 2016 season, and Andersen is familiar with Minnesota from his short stint coaching at Wisconsin.

"These guys we're playing next week (Minnesota), their (running) backs are real," Andersen said. "You better become good tacklers real fast to be able to control and maintain those guys."..

https://oregonstate.rivals.com/news/oregon-state-defense-needs-to-improve-and-fast

Sounds like this game is prime for our offense to gain some steam and get their confidence going.

I'm going to go turn my chili up from medium to medium high now after reading this.

Wow. Feeling better about this game by the minute...

Famous last words ------
"the other team is struggling. This is going to be an easy win........"

How many bleeping times have we heard that over the years, and how many bleeping times has it come back to bite us on the buttocks.

Rule #1: There are no easy games for Gopher Football. Because somehow, someway, the Gophers will find a way to make the game closer than it deserves to be. Trust me - I've been watching this show for a long time.

Famous last words ------

How many bleeping times have we heard that over the years, and how many bleeping times has it come back to bite us on the buttocks.

Rule #1: There are no easy games for Gopher Football. Because somehow, someway, the Gophers will find a way to make the game closer than it deserves to be. Trust me - I've been watching this show for a long time.

Who is saying easy win?

Famous last words ------

I bet you like your chili chilled.

I still think this game is basically a "coin-flip" but I feel better about it now than I did before the season. I thought OSU would be further along than they appear to be (to be honest, though, I can't say our effort against Buffalo has me all that confident about where we are either).

This game is likely going to be a close affair with the gophers eking it out by a fg. With our offense, I don't see them blowing anyone away. Much less a PAC 12 team, albeit a crappy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom