Hageman released by the Falcons, suspended indefinitely for role in domestic violence

I think the point was being poor in America today is not the same as being poor in the depression years of the 1930's where being poor meant you starved, lived on the street and had worn shoes with holes in them.

The stats about AC, Cell phones, Cable TV, heavily subsidized housing and food availability are mainly correct. There is a reason more "poor" people are obese than not.

Family stability, role models, and education is at the root of much of this, and throwing all the money you can find will not fix that. In fact the test scores in the Minneapolis and St. Paul Schools show that without structure and accountability, throwing money at the problem does nothing. I'd send my kids to Catholic Schools or to Minnetonka or Stillwater too if I was faced with the crap that goes on the MPS or St. Paul Public Schools.

My kids had a great education at Mpls public schools. Really a lot of the issues start at home and the habits good or bad are established at a young age. I think for a lot of the at risk kids the best use of public dollars is spent on early childhood education where you can get these kids into a pre school type of setting where they can learn and get some good habits.

There is something different going on now then in 30’s. Poor people have access to calories but that doesn’t mean they can afford or choose to eat healthy.

He did earn a little over $4 million in his career, more than many people will make in their life. I hope he was smart with it, and could live modestly for the rest of his life on that amount.

Odds are that he didn't.

My kids had a great education at Mpls public schools. Really a lot of the issues start at home and the habits good or bad are established at a young age. I think for a lot of the at risk kids the best use of public dollars is spent on early childhood education where you can get these kids into a pre school type of setting where they can learn and get some good habits.

There is something different going on now then in 30’s. Poor people have access to calories but that doesn’t mean they can afford or choose to eat healthy.

+1000

Off topic here, but the issue of development of kids in the formative years is an important one that you don't hear a lot of people in congress talk about nowadays. Rashede probably went through some serious tough times before being adopted and that experience left an indelible mark.

If all the billionaires who gave large sums of money away like Warren Buffet target Early Childhood and Family Education, they could help a lot of at risk kids and the nation will be better for it. Throwing money at schools simply is not the solution. It has to be targeted on children and families.

A child should never go hungry in this country, and it is difficult to concentrate and learn when your belly aches from hunger.

If they can have several hundred million dollars available to fund the Vikings stadium, imagine all the good that money will do to families with at risk young children.

Yes, Maxx and now his replacement Lingen seem to be both highly prone to injury. Lingen probably has some pro potential as well, but the injury situation will most likely derail him. At least Maxx had his first round rookie contract and did not get wrecked while still at the U of M his last two years. I hope he invested is 4M well.

That $4 million figure is very deceiving. After taxes, agent commissions his net is going to be closer to $2.2 million and that is over the course of several years. Take living expenses out of that and that likely leaves him with less than a million just to stash in the bank and live off of. In short, he will not be able to retire on his rookie contract. The man has many years ahead of him and he will have to work, but I think he will do just fine.

That $4 million figure is very deceiving. After taxes, agent commissions his net is going to be closer to $2.2 million and that is over the course of several years. Take living expenses out of that and that likely leaves him with less than a million just to stash in the bank and live off of. In short, he will not be able to retire on his rookie contract. The man has many years ahead of him and he will have to work, but I think he will do just fine.

Also to mention that he has a degree.

I think the point was being poor in America today is not the same as being poor in the depression years of the 1930's where being poor meant you starved, lived on the street and had worn shoes with holes in them.

The stats about AC, Cell phones, Cable TV, heavily subsidized housing and food availability are mainly correct. There is a reason more "poor" people are obese than not.

Family stability, role models, and education is at the root of much of this, and throwing all the money you can find will not fix that. In fact the test scores in the Minneapolis and St. Paul Schools show that without structure and accountability, throwing money at the problem does nothing. I'd send my kids to Catholic Schools or to Minnetonka or Stillwater too if I was faced with the crap that goes on the MPS or St. Paul Public Schools.

Three of my kids attend a Mpls public school. Curious...what crap goes on at their school? As an invested parent, I'd love to know. Obviously I'm in the dark.

Three of my kids attend a Mpls public school. Curious...what crap goes on at their school? As an invested parent, I'd love to know. Obviously I'm in the dark.

Oh come on dude! You know what it is!

All that crap that lifelong rural / and some burb folks get upset about that doesn't impact them, they've never actually seen, but they'll just belive it and hate because .... that's a thing these days.

So your best effort at an appropriate comparison analogy is the Great Depression? Hot take alert...

too talented and young to not get another chance, hopefully he will make the most of it when he gets it.

In fact the test scores in the Minneapolis and St. Paul Schools show that without structure and accountability, throwing money at the problem does nothing.
I'm sure the volume of students who are English as a second language, or have a single parent, or new to America has nothing to do with this. Don't speak about things you don't know about.

I went to St. Paul Harding and my mom taught at St Paul Public schools for years including a long stint at St Paul central. Very possible to get a good education at an inner city public school, potentially prepares you better for dealing with diversity later in life when your exposed to it an earlier age. I saw rich kids and poor kids struggle and wash out and it had most to do with what was going on at home and dropping a kid with a terrible home life into a private school just changes how they fail.

I am not a great pro football mind, how was Hageman's performance on the field before this incident?

I am not a great pro football mind, how was Hageman's performance on the field before this incident?

Pretty similar to when he was a Gopher: When he was engaged and gave an effort, he was a pretty significant piece to the defense.

Hageman dominated when he had gas in the tank.

Problem in college was that he couldn't play every down.

I think he was coming into his own. He played well and started during the post season last year.

Yeah I remember seeing him out there. Kind of surprised he hasn't gotten another chance yet. He isn't the only guy in the NFL who has had an incident in the past and DT is a premium position.

Yeah I remember seeing him out there. Kind of surprised he hasn't gotten another chance yet. He isn't the only guy in the NFL who has had an incident in the past and DT is a premium position.

Look at Ray Rice. The man will never see the field again and he committed domestic violence. So don't be surprised if hageman's career is over.

Look at Ray Rice. The man will never see the field again and he committed domestic violence. So don't be surprised if hageman's career is over.

To his point, RBs are a dime a dozen. Guys who are 6'6", 300+, and run a 4.7-4.8 40 are very rare.

To his point, RBs are a dime a dozen. Guys who are 6'6", 300+, and run a 4.7-4.8 40 are very rare.

True dat. It will be interesting to see if he gets picked up. I hope so because I always like watching former gophers play in the NFL. I also hope he gets the therapy he needs to prevent him from getting himself in this situation again.

DT injuries in the second half of the NFL season might change attitudes of teams in desperate need.

Top Bottom