Hageman released by the Falcons, suspended indefinitely for role in domestic violence

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Falcons defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman, for his involvement in a domestic violence case in DeKalb County from March of 2016, was suspended by NFL under the personal conduct policy on Saturday.

The length of the suspension has not been determined yet by the league.

“Today the NFL placed Ra’Shade Hageman on the commissioner’s exempt list as a result of domestic violence-related charges filed by prosecutors in DeKalb County, following a March 2016 incident,” the league noted. “The criminal proceeding concluded in late August, and the league’s investigation remains pending.”

A player who is placed on the Commissioner Exempt List may not practice or attend games, but with the club’s permission he may be present at the club’s facility on a reasonable basis for meetings, individual workouts, therapy and rehabilitation, and other permitted non-football activities.

Hageman was reluctant to discuss his case when it was pending. He allegedly pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges.

The incident was with the mother of his child. Hageman was charged with interfering with a call for emergency help, battery family violence and cruelty to children in the third degree.

The charges stem from an incident in which Hageman pulled the hair of the mother of his child and pushed her down in the parking lot outside of her apartment, causing her to sustain lacerations on her left hand and elbow. Hageman then took her phone, preventing her from calling 911. This incident happened in front of the couple's child.

Hageman was free on a $7,500 bond.

Hageman was the Falcons second round pick in the 2014 draft. He played in 44 games and made 15 starts.

Hageman continue to play while the case was pending in court.

The NFL contacted the team about the matter when after it happened.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/...omestic-violence-case/CySbhtmjAtY0MpPQKX0XyK/

Go Gophers!!

His Dad will cover him. That rap career of his must be going very well by now.

Ummm Seantrell Henderson's father and Ra’Shade Hageman's father are two different people.

Perhaps he is confused with Seantrel Henderson's dad. Or, he wrote to be funny? If that's the case, it didn't work for me.

To me, Hageman has always been an enigma. He looked like Alabama talent, but never dominated that way. He had some good games for the Gophers. I remember him damn near winning the game single handedly at Northwestern. But, then other times, he would disappear, or appear winded and needed a break.

I don't know the guy, but based on some of the stories, I'm not sure he's ever grown up.

NFL players sure like to beat up women.
Actually at a lesser rate than the population.
morris-datalab-nfl-vaw-12.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

Hageman has had anger issues for a long time, Coach Kill helped him deal with them and become a productive football player, obviously they're still an issue.

While the stats are true that professional football players may commit fewer crimes than the population at large, they tend to commit more crimes than their tax-bracket peers. Most crime is the result of poverty. Either way - terrible story about Hageman. I hope he gets the help he needs...the next couple years will likely define what type of life he lives.

Hageman has had anger issues for a long time, Coach Kill helped him deal with them and become a productive football player, obviously they're still an issue.

Thank for posting the statistics. Many of these players do not seem to grasp that with those big salaries they will be under increased scrutiny and if they commit a crime it will become very public. I hope he learns from this and is able to get back on track.

While the stats are true that professional football players may commit fewer crimes than the population at large, they tend to commit more crimes than their tax-bracket peers. Most crime is the result of poverty. Either way - terrible story about Hageman. I hope he gets the help he needs...the next couple years will likely define what type of life he lives.

True, though most of these crimes aren't financially motivated. Robbery, drugs, etc. Also while its true that they're not aligned with their tax bracket peers, they're very unique in those brackets. Most people stay in the economic range they were raised in. Most of these guys are 'new money'

True, though most of these crimes aren't financially motivated. Robbery, drugs, etc. Also while its true that they're not aligned with their tax bracket peers, they're very unique in those brackets. Most people stay in the economic range they were raised in. Most of these guys are 'new money'

Very true on all accounts- these are complicated issues. Ones of which, I have very little right to comment on. Thanks for adding to my post.

I'll call bullsh!t.

Among all poor households--Over 99 percent have a refrigerator, television, and stove or oven. Eighty-one percent have a microwave; 75 percent have air conditioning; 67 percent have a second TV; 64 percent have a clothes washer; 38 percent have a personal computer. As for homelessness, one-half of 1 percent living under the poverty line have lost their homes and live in shelters. Seventy-five percent of the poor have a car or truck. Only 10 percent live in mobile homes or trailers, half live in detached single-family houses or townhouses, and 40 percent live in apartments. Forty-two percent of all poor households own their home, the average of which is a three-bedroom house with one and a half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio. According to a recent Census Bureau report, 80.9 percent of households below the poverty level have cell phones. People (of any income level) who rob, rape, and murder do so because they lack a functioning conscience and moral self-control. It is not material poverty that causes violent crime, but poor character.

I'll call bullsh!t.

Among all poor households--Over 99 percent have a refrigerator, television, and stove or oven. Eighty-one percent have a microwave; 75 percent have air conditioning; 67 percent have a second TV; 64 percent have a clothes washer; 38 percent have a personal computer. As for homelessness, one-half of 1 percent living under the poverty line have lost their homes and live in shelters. Seventy-five percent of the poor have a car or truck. Only 10 percent live in mobile homes or trailers, half live in detached single-family houses or townhouses, and 40 percent live in apartments. Forty-two percent of all poor households own their home, the average of which is a three-bedroom house with one and a half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio. According to a recent Census Bureau report, 80.9 percent of households below the poverty level have cell phones. People (of any income level) who rob, rape, and murder do so because they lack a functioning conscience and moral self-control. It is not material poverty that causes violent crime, but poor character.

You don't know any poor people do you?

You don't know any poor people do you?

I will say that poverty itself doesn't cause crime, although it's definitely correlated to it. It's a lot of the other conditions that are also correlated with poverty (low education levels, violence/drugs in the home, single-parent households, etc.) that contribute to a higher chance of a person ending up in a life of crime. I doubt any of these factors really apply to Ra'shede so maybe in a very roundabout way that's what Highwayman was getting at?

In any case, I hope Ra'shede gets it figured out - for his sake and his family's sake. He could be throwing away a lot of money and a comfortable life for himself and his family.

my gut tells me that with athletes, so many grow up in a bubble of entitlement. once a kid shows athletic ability, they are surrounded by hangers-on, hoping to latch onto a future meal ticket. athletes - in many cases - but not all - are cut a lot of slack in High school and college. They receive preferential treatment.

some athletes come through that bubble with relatively little impact - but others let it go to their heads. they come to believe that they are special, and that no matter what happens, someone will come along and fix it because they're "a star." if you saw the 30-on-30 about athletes going bankrupt, that is a perfect illustration.

I certainly hope that, at some level, Hageman understands that beating up women is wrong. But, on another level, it's quite possible that he thought he'd get away with it because of his status as a pro athlete. reality check.

I'll call bullsh!t.

lol. That's just incorrect and not even factually correct. Economic status is the #1 indicator of crime regardless of any other factors.

I see Max Williams was held out again due to injury last Sunday. The guy seems to be injured quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Maxx and now his replacement Lingen seem to be both highly prone to injury. Lingen probably has some pro potential as well, but the injury situation will most likely derail him. At least Maxx had his first round rookie contract and did not get wrecked while still at the U of M his last two years. I hope he invested is 4M well.

I think the point was being poor in America today is not the same as being poor in the depression years of the 1930's where being poor meant you starved, lived on the street and had worn shoes with holes in them.

The stats about AC, Cell phones, Cable TV, heavily subsidized housing and food availability are mainly correct. There is a reason more "poor" people are obese than not.

Family stability, role models, and education is at the root of much of this, and throwing all the money you can find will not fix that. In fact the test scores in the Minneapolis and St. Paul Schools show that without structure and accountability, throwing money at the problem does nothing. I'd send my kids to Catholic Schools or to Minnetonka or Stillwater too if I was faced with the crap that goes on the MPS or St. Paul Public Schools.

I wish Rashede the best and I hope he reaches out to his adoptive family and others for help with his anger issues.

I don't think he is a bad person. Something in his early childhood experience in a broken family may have a lasting effect.

He did earn a little over $4 million in his career, more than many people will make in their life. I hope he was smart with it, and could live modestly for the rest of his life on that amount.

Top Bottom