Seth Green

hungan1

Reaction score
Seth is listed as a RS FR 6' 4" 229 lbs., the former East Ridge QB who transferred to perennial Texas HS football powerhouse Allen with a $60M stadium.

I have to say I was elated when he committed to the Gophers in spite of Oregon cooling off on him with scouting analysts questioning inconsistencies in his throwing mechanics. His QB ranking went from No. 8 to No. 22.

With the suspension, I was disappointed with him not being able to practice and take reps.

If you watch his Allen HS highlights, it shows that he has a decent throwing arm and he can run.

I thought that he would be challenging Demry Croft for the starting job. No offense to Conor Rhoda as his scholarship was not being renewed by Claeys at the time.

Missing three games while on suspension and not be allowed to practice didn't help his cause. Will we see him in the mix in competition with Croft and Rhoda before the season is out?

I have to believe Gophers aren't the only team struggling with inexperience at the QB position.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-recruit-seth-green-homegrown-with-some-texas-seasoning/367301931/

[video]http://www.hudl.com/video/3/771372/5721cc4e0dcb0d12f86ed6af?vpa=1&utm_expid=159232322-84.gwvLz8FgRFWarwAm5rvBmw.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F[/video]

He is the #4 QB right now from what I saw at practice.

After seeing him a lot in high school and a few times in Gopher practices, I'd be very surprised if he ever plays QB here.

It takes a pretty special talent to come in and beat out experienced players as a freshman QB.

Will they do a Streveler on him. Move him to TE, he doesn't like it and transfers.

Didn't Green only miss one practice during the spring? I don't think he was ever suspended for three games....

I don't think Green will ever get on the field as a Gopher QB. After this season he is going to have to find another position to play.

I don't think Green will ever get on the field as a Gopher QB. After this season he is going to have to find another position to play.

Why not start now if you're the 4th string quarterback? Heaven forbid if the first three guys get hurt and can't play. Green could go back and take some snaps during the season if we lose a couple quarterbacks.

Why not start now if you're the 4th string quarterback? Heaven forbid if the first three guys get hurt and can't play. Green could go back and take some snaps during the season if we lose a couple quarterbacks.

#1 - He probably gives a good look on scout team of a more athletic QB.
#2 - If Tanner Morgan is going to play significant time, burn that redshirt. If we need someone to come in and play 3 snaps - - Seth Green.
#3 - The staff probably doesn't want to give up. He's young, he's athletic, maybe they think it's worth a full season before making switches.

If Rhoda beats out Demry, we'll have an open QB competition next year as well and Seth will have another chance to win the job. The previous staff felt Seth was the future, they just wanted to get a stop gap guy for next year (Mclaurin) as they just felt Seth would be more ready in to take the job in a year. Way to early to write off Green IMO although if Demry beats out Rhoda then I think he is the starter the next 3 years. If not then Green definitely has a chance.

Crazy prediction: (maybe not so crazy)

Morgan starts next year. If he plays well, he holds job for entire season, If Morgan struggles, Armstrong takes over mid-season.

Fleck wants "his" players in there - meaning players he personally recruited.

If you're a Kill/Claeys holdover, and you're not starting, better start thinking about where you want to go to school next year - assuming you still want to play Football.

Morgan starts next year. If he plays well, he holds job for entire season, If Morgan struggles, Armstrong takes over mid-season.

If you're a Kill/Claeys holdover, and you're not starting, better start thinking about where you want to go to school next year - assuming you still want to play Football.

That wasn't the case with his 3 year starting QB at WMU. I'm not sold that Armstrong and Morgan will have a better chance to win the job next year than Demry or Green simply because they are Fleck recruits and I'd say it's more likely one the the two Kill recruits due to age and experience.

For a few dumpster 2nd half snaps he may be ahead of Morgan to not burn the redshirt but if for some reason we get to QB #3 Morgan sure looks to be that guy ahead of Green.

I have not seen that to be the case.

At the practices I saw, Green was getting some reps and Morgan was getting close to zero. I felt he played better in the spring game too.

One practice they had an equal number of reps and the 2nd practice it seemed every time we looked Green was dancing to the music or screwing around and Morgan was working his butt off with better throws. Neither received a lot of work during the scrimmage parts of practice, so it's just speculation on my part but agree with SON that Fleck would preference his guy and Morgan is ahead of Green if it really came down to significant playing time. Hopefully we never find out :)

Edit: By practices I meant just the 2 I was able to make it to. Small sample size I know...

I would be surprised if Green ever plays any meaningful snaps at QB for us. His throwing motion is awkward as hell & he's always been a potential guy due to his athleticism, as opposed to a production guy. I expect either Croft of one of the Fleck recruits to win the job next year and keep it. I would make Green 3rd or 4th most likely to win the job next year.

I would be surprised if Green ever plays any meaningful snaps at QB for us. His throwing motion is awkward as hell & he's always been a potential guy due to his athleticism, as opposed to a production guy. I expect either Croft of one of the Fleck recruits to win the job next year and keep it. I would make Green 3rd or 4th most likely to win the job next year.

This guy, Green was riding high with an Oregon offer suddenly two plus years later he is nothing.? I do not get it. Oregon was near the top of the college football pecking order back then, and how could they have been that wrong about him.

I am not sure who decided it was a good idea to leave Woodbury and more to Texas for his senior year, but that looks to have been an awful decision.

Maybe Oregon used to bring in three great athletes to play QB and hoped that one would pan out, and Green as it turned out did not even make it camp, but still that staff seemed to have some ability to ID a QB that could play at an "elite" level. I am not buying the notation that Green as deficient as some think. Maybe the PJ system expects more out of a QB than the Chip Kelly/ Mark Helfrich system, so I'll go with that.

This guy, Green was riding high with an Oregon offer suddenly two plus years later he is nothing.? I do not get it. Oregon was near the top of the college football pecking order back then, and how could they have been that wrong about him.

I am not sure who decided it was a good idea to leave Woodbury and more to Texas for his senior year, but that looks to have been an awful decision.

Maybe Oregon used to bring in three great athletes to play QB and hoped that one would pan out, and Green as it turned out did not even make it camp, but still that staff seemed to have some ability to ID a QB that could play at an "elite" level. I am not buying the notation that Green as deficient as some think. Maybe the PJ system expects more out of a QB than the Chip Kelly/ Mark Helfrich system, so I'll go with that.

Oregon told Green he'd be coming there as a TE, which is why he decided to look elsewhere. When he moved to Texas to play HS ball (His Dad transferred there for work as I recall?) he didn't even win the starting job outright. He reminds me very much of Chris Streveler in that I looked at his HS tape and immediately thought "WOW, that's a funky throwing motion!". The exact same thing I thought when I saw Green's tape. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I don't think he'll ever be even 2nd string at QB.

SON, I like your comments, but I hope that you are wrong this time. If Fleck gives players preference simply because he recruited them, I will be greatly disappointed. The upperclassmen deserve to be given an equal shot and I think that its a stupid strategy - he could be limiting his options.

Top Bottom