CBS: Candid Coaches: Would LaVar Ball's presence keep you from recruiting his son?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Would LaVar Ball prevent you from recruiting LaMelo Ball if he reopened his recruitment?
Yes
48.1 percent
No
51.9 percent

Quotes that stood out
Coaches who said LaVar Ball's presence would prevent them from recruiting LaMelo Ball …
"We want to look for guys that are about the team, and he's not about the team. We look at kids, but we also look at parents and families as well."
"I'm sure LaMelo is great and all that. We tell our players all the time you gotta be better than your problems. And I don't know, unless it's Magic Johnson or Larry Bird coming to play for me, I don't know I'd want to deal day to day with that circus he brings with him. I thought that dude was a clown from the get go. Right now he's a buffoon with what went on at Adidas."
"You couldn't pay me enough money to deal with that."
"Yes. I like TEAM players and TEAM parents. This family is 0-2 in this area."
"My moral compass has too much influence on my decisions. He's not what our society should be about, he's not good for how humans should operate. But it's America, everyone can make money and we elected a far worse human."
"I just … stay away from that circus. I'm one of these rare guys, it's a team game and I just think that takes so much away from the team. … I think it was the perfect storm for Steve [Alford] to take him. He was coaching for his life last year, he had to take [all three brothers] and it worked out for him."
"He is college basketball's version of Donald Trump."
"I would not deal with him. I think he's the type of personality that could contaminate my locker room because he would be pulling kids. As a coach you gotta know someone's talking to your kids if you're not. After a loss or whatever, whoever the kids' friends are, whoever he rooms with, I think that guy would get kids in a huddle try to undermine the coaching."
"You don't think he's going to intervene? I'm into eliminating distractions. Whoever signs him has a distraction in their locker room because he's going to intervene and constantly be in the [news]."
"Anything regarding LaVar Ball moving forward is going to be an absolute disaster. [LaMelo's] not as good as Lonzo, so it won't ever work with who he is."

Coaches who said LaVar Ball's presence would not prevent them from recruiting LaMelo Ball …
"I'd definitely be leery of the circus, but if we could somehow set up the parameters with him and keep him at a certain distance, why not? Think of how much he will promote your program. No doubt it'll be a circus, but there will be more eyes on your program, and they say any publicity is good publicity. I don't know if you can put a muzzle on him."
"Did Steve [Alford] have any problems with the dad last season? I don't think so. So it really wouldn't concern me at all."
"He absolutely wouldn't prevent me from recruiting LaMelo Ball. The UCLA staff had zero issues with LaVar Ball when they had Lonzo Ball. The key to me is that LaMelo Ball is an extreme talent and will be a NBA player. It is hard for a guy like LaVar Ball to bitch and complain when that is the case. Now I wouldn't want LiAngelo, the middle brother, because he will not be able to impact at the high major level. LaVar Ball could become a problem in that instance."
"No, because that's part of the job for coaches. You've gotta be able to camouflage, be able to go into places where you're not comfortable and be able to deal with people from all kinds of different backgrounds, sizes, forms. Different personalities. He would not deter me. I'm sure he would deter others."
"We get dads a lot worse than LaVar. They just don't get the air time."
"LaVar would not prevent me, although LaMelo might. I have seen him many times and wish he played with some effort and emotion."
"I think it would be great for the program. Even though I don't agree with his antics, he's done an unbelievable job. People complain about it, and I'm not criticizing you, but the media keeps covering him. People complain and complain and complain, and media complains, but they're the one giving him airtime. It makes him famous for no reason. He walked into Vegas and people were clamoring to take his picture like he was Justin Timberlake."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ls-presence-keep-you-from-recruiting-his-son/

Go Gophers!!

Lavar didn't do his kid any favors naming him LaMelo.

If I were a coach I'd avoid this mess at all costs. This clown his not helping his sons at all.

Just another slam Trump article. I stopped reading it. It wears me out.

It wouldn't stop me.

A lot of basketball fathers are a pain in the butt. Kevin Love's dad was notoriously difficult.

As Bell's sons. . .they all appear to be extremely driven, hard working, and talented. Yeah, I'd rather not deal with a loud mouth father. But if a dad yelling and being annoying was a player's biggest wart, especially a player like LaMelo, I'd gladly sign him up.

In other words;

LiAngelo is not good enough to got through the crap that LaVar would bring. But LaMelo is.

If I were a coach I'd avoid this mess at all costs. This clown his not helping his sons at all.

I mean he's a trainer who's got one son to the NBA, the other 2 are famous and drive Lambos and his high schooler has his own shoe. Now name the younger brother of any other draft pick from the last 2 years. I'll wait. Seems like they're doing ok to me

It wouldn't stop me.

A lot of basketball fathers are a pain in the butt. Kevin Love's dad was notoriously difficult.

As Bell's sons. . .they all appear to be extremely driven, hard working, and talented. Yeah, I'd rather not deal with a loud mouth father. But if a dad yelling and being annoying was a player's biggest wart, especially a player like LaMelo, I'd gladly sign him up.

I defend Lavar (for some things, not all) because I think a large part of the hate is him being a brash, unapologetic large black man. BUT, from the youtube scouting (lol) I've done of Melo, he seems like a lazy, enabled gunner on the court. He's not a great athlete and seems caught up in his own hype (again, on the court). I may be wrong of course, but I wouldn't want to deal with that at all as a coach

Top Bottom