PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 9-3-17

I wonder if our kids are smart enough to learn a sophisticated MAC system?

Dude, think it through, "true freshmen". They were not in any way, shape or form part of Iowa last year. It is all new to them. 19 years or 1 year means nothing to true freshmen for the most part.

Coaching staff continuity matters as well. Kill and partly Claeys had that and Ferentz certainly has that at Iowa.

There once was a coach named Fleck
Who could make many write a check.
His cliches are well known
And causes many to bemoan
But has Beavcoon swabbin' the poop deck.

Beavcoon in the room with Alanis Morissette

Another in a long list of things you've been wrong about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, that's your best?

So you're saying it does fit your narrative?

Man, I'm pretty much shocked...that's a very disappointing interview...especially 3 days after the game. How can you not have enough confidence in your own ability to coach that you feel you gotta cut your guys off at the knees to attempt to elevate public opinion of how great you are as a coach because you have the toughest coaching job in America. Any other coach in America would of lost to Buffalo you know, not me, with this group of zero experience and untalented players I'm stuck with we won. I fully intend to convince the players they are lousy and our fans too must know that our team is bad but don't worry you are lucky because I'm elite. We'll fix it in 4 or 5 years. Trust me. I told you I'd be out among our fans every where but, I'm not brave enough to actually attend the State Fair in person for my interview right now because I'm feeling pretty depressed.

10 questions and he is able to utter 2 missed FG's 3X (Three Times) in his answers. Not my fault. He missed twice all last year, he missed twice in one game for me...I'm crushed. But Sid at 95 catches the vibe and brings it up and PJ says "Don't focus on the misses" HAha You can't make it up. The entire interview PJ focuses on mistakes.

Really? really? You are going to say out loud we don't trust our quarterbacks??!!! "We weren't gonna pass because we couldn't allow another interception to swing the game." Out loud you're gonna say that? Nothing about I gotta coach better. Nothing about I gotta prepare my players better. We got great kids! You know on the goal line that was my fault...we took a time out...I over coached...we called a different play and I made Conor stare down the one option we gave him. They had their best defender covering Lingen and I choose to attack him...that was just dumb. Conor's gonna be a heck of a quarterback if I don't screw him up. We're fine. Hey, we'll play better next time. We'll fix some stuff and we'll be elite! This is exciting!!!! Where was that????? (3 days later he's moping!...disappointing)

It's either moping or sandbagging. Either way, not an Elite interview

This reminds me of the early Pitino years. The detractors find any blemish to support their theories that he can't coach, makes excuses, can't recruit, etc...
They won the game! It was not pretty, it was not exciting, but he took a conservative approach in the first game. He didn't say he didn't trust the QB's to throw, he just wanted to keep the ball on the ground and grind out the clock and game. Could you imagine how many grim reapers would have came out of the woodwork if they had lost?
He is a very emotional coach and the team feeds off of that emotion. He was worried in the second half and it showed in the team's play.
Just calm down and give him time, he will be a very successful coach for the Gophers.

This reminds me of the early Pitino years. The detractors find any blemish to support their theories that he can't coach, makes excuses, can't recruit, etc...
They won the game! It was not pretty, it was not exciting, but he took a conservative approach in the first game. He didn't say he didn't trust the QB's to throw, he just wanted to keep the ball on the ground and grind out the clock and game. Could you imagine how many grim reapers would have came out of the woodwork if they had lost?
He is a very emotional coach and the team feeds off of that emotion. He was worried in the second half and it showed in the team's play.
Just calm down and give him time, he will be a very successful coach for the Gophers.

I believe he will have success here, but the bolded statement if true, is not a good sign.
If he is nervous and outwardly shows it against a Buffalo team that we had complete control of and goes into a shell to protect a lead, AND the players feed off of that, what is going to happen when we play a team from the BIG?

Trust me. I told you I'd be out among our fans every where but, I'm not brave enough to actually attend the State Fair in person for my interview right now because I'm feeling pretty depressed.

/QUOTE]

I never thought you could top the stupidity of wanting Coyle to talk to the woman at the center of the football scandal while the investigation was going on, and I am still right. But you came close with this post. You still expect Fleck to be running around in public once the season starts? He really wanted to sacrifice 3 hours of preparing for an away game just to please you, but then the guy got cold feet. I get you're not impressed with PJ's schtick, but you really are clueless about what goes on.

It's cute that he said that and that you believe him. 10 minutes to go in the game, they threw the ball 3 times before punting. Got the ball back at 7 minutes and they started the drive by passing. Not exactly grinding it out.

I'll never forget 60's Guy wanting Graduate Assistants to block Steven Richardson during spring practices. Anything thing he says about coaching is invalid.

Crazy that a coach would want to give the ball to his best offensive weapons. We gave the ball to our best players and won.

People will complain about anything....

Trust me. I told you I'd be out among our fans every where but, I'm not brave enough to actually attend the State Fair in person for my interview right now because I'm feeling pretty depressed.

/QUOTE]

I never thought you could top the stupidity of wanting Coyle to talk to the woman at the center of the football scandal while the investigation was going on, and I am still right. But you came close with this post. You still expect Fleck to be running around in public once the season starts? He really wanted to sacrifice 3 hours of preparing for an away game just to please you, but then the guy got cold feet. I get you're not impressed with PJ's schtick, but you really are clueless about what goes on.

I know you think you are way smarter but how do explain the show at Sensers? That's gotta take up 5 hours easy...longer and farther... and shame on Jerry for showing up too.

I'll never forget 60's Guy wanting Graduate Assistants to block Steven Richardson during spring practices. Anything thing he says about coaching is invalid.

Dummies...I said they could hold dummies. And I said stop whining, find a solution.

Crazy that a coach would want to give the ball to his best offensive weapons. We gave the ball to our best players and won.

I don't disagree with the strategy to focus on running the ball. I disagree with saying we ran the ball because our quarterbacks might throw an interception. However, at what point are you playing not to lose? After all, it is game one. We are playing to get our quarterbacks experience? He said before the game mistakes are how we grow. I'm not going to be emotional and react to mistakes. Right? Yet he spends an entire show emphasizing mistakes. My problem is how he presented or framed his answer, not necessarily his game strategy.

Who knows? Could be underneath everything is a conservative, mid-western, Big Ten coach that is going to play it close to the vest. Dude came out with a W. That said, sure am looking forward to the next one. Really want to beat Andersen and the Beavers in Corvallis. Show some improvement and keep moving forward. Can't wait.

People on this board weren't impressed with winning 9 games last season. They are going to complain about squeaking by a putrid Buffalo team.

Dummies...I said they could hold dummies. And I said stop whining, find a solution.

You can't argue with JB with logic. He is in love with everything PJ Fleck and if he thinks something might even smell like a criticism, he can't control himself. It's like when little girls argue about their favorite member of One Direction.

You can't argue with JB with logic. He is in love with everything PJ Fleck and if he thinks something might even smell like a criticism, he can't control himself. It's like when little girls argue about their favorite member of One Direction.
A random comment about me being obsessed with Fleck even though my comment had nothing to do with Fleck. You're an idiot. Go through my post history.

Of course you probably think it's a good idea to run 11 on 11 drills with GA's using pads to block Steven Richardson.

People on this board weren't impressed with winning 9 games last season. They are going to complain about squeaking by a putrid Buffalo team.

They're even going to complain about Fleck not going to the state fair apparently even though he and the team were there a bunch the past few weeks.

For me it's Liam, but I could be persuaded by Niall.

They're even going to complain about Fleck not going to the state fair apparently even though he and the team were there a bunch the past few weeks.

It's just another don't tell me, show me from coach Fleck. He came into the job with promises of being more media friendly, more accessible to the fans, more open practices, etc etc. So if he's going to bluster about that being his platform, his culture, things that are important to him..then show me.

He has missed more Sunday morning appearances in a year, with hosts wondering where he is no less, than other coaches did in the last 10 years.

Does the State Fair appearance matter to me? No. Just do what you say. Point was he also said mistakes are how we learn, how we grow. To accomplish that you don't live in the past harping on mistakes. Next play! We are all about Oregon State and the positives of week one, not the negatives.

I'm not complaining about how the team played against Buffalo. I'm just holding PJ accountable to what he says is important to him that he's not doing.

It's just another don't tell me, show me from coach Fleck. He came into the job with promises of being more media friendly, more accessible to the fans, more open practices, etc etc. So if he's going to bluster about that being his platform, his culture, things that are important to him..then show me.

He has missed more Sunday morning appearances in a year, with hosts wondering where he is no less, than other coaches did in the last 10 years.

Does the State Fair appearance matter to me? No. Just do what you say. Point was he also said mistakes are how we learn, how we grow. To accomplish that you don't live in the past harping on mistakes. Next play! We are all about Oregon State and the positives of week one, not the negatives.

I'm not complaining about how the team played against Buffalo. I'm just holding PJ accountable to what he says is important to him that he's not doing.

He's been out in the community more than any coach in recent memory. He was literally at the state fair with the team the first day it opened.

+1

Top Bottom