PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 9-3-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher Football coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max on Sunday. This was another Phone Interview. (Huddle was doing the show from their booth at the State Fair.)

Sid: lack of running game vs Buffalo?
PJF: not upset. kept it very basic. in 2nd half, we broke some longer runs. ran inside zone 30 times. backs split yardage. did what we had to do to win game

Sid: assess QB's?
PJF: like training camp, executed well at times. missed some opportunities. proud of performance for 2 guys who never played game before as starter. one critical error (INT in end zone) there's a lot to get better at. brand new offense than what they've been training at (in previous years). pleased with poise. pre-snap, don't think any delay of games.

Sid: rate the offensive line
PJF: got to get better in all areas. look at team -saw a lot of inexperience come through. yeah, we won. we have to continue to get better. gives us information - data. we have to respond to that data. so many areas have to get better at.

Sid: interception in end zone turned game around.
PJF: it's a new team every single year. whole new identity. new coaching staff. int was big. one turnover - we got one takeaway, could have had more takeaways. missed 2 FG's - kick ourselves in the foot. (may not have heard that correctly?) got to be able to clean all that up. find more playmakers around Ty. can't just be Rodney and Shannon.

Sid: only 3 defensive starters returning from last year.
PJF: that's what we said all along. one of least experienced teams in country. last year has no connection to this year. completely new team - new way of doing things. nothing with carrying last year over to this year. year one of our culture. completely start over with a lot of things. proud of guys - have to get a lot better in every single area. thought defense played well at times. int, 2 missed FG, dropped int. margin between average teams and really good teams is very small.

Sid: your defense held Buff to 260 yds
PJF: thought special teams helped with that. Buff starting most times within 20. Santoso had 3 punts downed within 20. #3 (for Buff) is a phenomenal QB. they are a much improved team, lot of transfers. QB played at high level. next big MAC QB. our special teams helped defense

Max: what about Oregon State?
PJF: they have a lot of weapons. great teams and avg teams are very close. they did a good job recruiting. they've been able to score points. they're going to be excited to have us come out to Corvallis. (OSU) Coming off win over good Portland State team. They haven't played bad teams. we're playing a very good opponent. very talented. we've got to play way better than we did Thursday.

Sid: what about pass defense?
PJF: inexperienced in secondary. don't have a lot of depth. Winfield, Shenault, Duke out 1st half. Huff getting more time. got guy in Kiondre never played as RS Fr. team that is very young, has to grow. more they play, the better they'll get.

Sid: what happened to Tyler Johnson 2nd half.
PJF: we did what we had to do to win game. have to control line of scrimmage. knew def was stopping them. couldn't allow another INT to swing game. each game presents different challenges. rely on inside zone to win. miss 2 FG, throw INT in end zone. other missed opportunities. that's why I don't look at the score. have to get better with fundamentals.

Sid: Carpenter miss 2 FG's?
PJF: don't focus on misses. he hit one with all the pressure on him to seal game. 4th and 1- could have gone for it. I have a lot of faith in Emmett. he knows how to fix the ones he doesn't make. kickers are going to miss every once in a while.

Sid: won game, that's all that counts
PJF: going to shift our focus. head out west.

Sid: Murray's certificate
PJF: ski-u-mah. RTB.

PJF: that's what we said all along. one of least experienced teams in country.

Tell ya what, when ol' PJ gets on to something, he clings to it. Guy has tenacity.

Thank you very much for doing this.

Many thanks. Lot of coach speak. Definitely reinforces the thought that they kept the O very vanilla. Portland State a good team?

the one that stood out to me:

PJF: we did what we had to do to win game. have to control line of scrimmage. knew def was stopping them. couldn't allow another INT to swing game. each game presents different challenges. rely on inside zone to win. miss 2 FG, throw INT in end zone. other missed opportunities. that's why I don't look at the score. have to get better with fundamentals.

Let's be honest. If Kill or Claeys had said something like that, people would have gone ballistic. He's basically saying that the only safe play was to run the ball up the middle. Cue the Limegrover and Johnson offensive coordinator complaints.

Thanks SON. Great recap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a GREAT recap SON. Thank you!

Thanks, shorty. Doesn't sound like a culture of elite coaching. Eeking put a win against Buffalo at home and then excuses and pointing the finger.

It may take a few years to return to a 9 win team.

I've felt all along that 6 wins would be the result, but hoped for more. The pick in the end zone was sooo Mitch like that it must have sent a chill through the coaching staff. We do not yet have a good O line and we do not yet have a QB. Unless or until these happen this is not a better than 6 win team. Saturday is very large for this version of Gopher Football. The move from game 1 to game 2 is always key.

I've felt all along that 6 wins would be the result, but hoped for more. The pick in the end zone was sooo Mitch like that it must have sent a chill through the coaching staff. We do not yet have a good O line and we do not yet have a QB. Unless or until these happen this is not a better than 6 win team. Saturday is very large for this version of Gopher Football. The move from game 1 to game 2 is always key.

The O-Line coach, one would hope, will get the best out of that bunch. Great track record.

As mentioned earlier, PJ has his talking points and doesn't move from them. Actually, that takes discipline. Most teams show their best improvement from game one to two as a rule. Hopefully that will be the case.

Thanks SON for the recap.

The pajama man (USC pal coined this) is just doing what coaches do. I don't know why anyone expects him to trust either QB with the full offense at this point. That's madness. As time goes on one would hope they can let the QBs do their pre and post reads as Zachary Terrell was trusted to do.

If they cannot, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on to the next man sometime mid-season. Stranger things have happened.

the one that stood out to me:

Let's be honest. If Kill or Claeys had said something like that, people would have gone ballistic. He's basically saying that the only safe play was to run the ball up the middle. Cue the Limegrover and Johnson offensive coordinator complaints.

There's a big difference between saying that after game 1 with a new coach/system and saying it several years in. If he's saying these kinds of things a year or two from now while playing a team like Buffalo, then he will be criticized.

Thanks for the recap SON.

They ran some pretty basic and safe throws in the first half, which both Rhoda and Croft were able to manage to complete, don't see why you wouldn't do the same in the second half as well. Need to put some trust in the QB's to make the easy throws. It also doesn't give them any experience if all they are doing is turning and handing the ball off.

They ran some pretty basic and safe throws in the first half, which both Rhoda and Croft were able to manage to complete, don't see why you wouldn't do the same in the second half as well. Need to put some trust in the QB's to make the easy throws. It also doesn't give them any experience if all they are doing is turning and handing the ball off.

Maybe Fleck was channeling Woody Hayes in 2nd half...3 things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad.

Thanks SON! I sort of agree with Fleck on last year not meaning anything this year, but I think that it does, in the sense that some teams know that they are going to win and some hope that they are going to win. That, I think is a part of a team's psychology and culture. However, I agree with Holtz when he says that as a coach you never know what team is going to show up from week to week. Maybe that's just my way of saying that its hard to build an elite team over the long term. Coach's have to somehow overcome a culture of losing (long term issue) and still be good and confident enough to win when things do not go well in a particular game (short term). Check out UNLV's loss to FCS Howard from last night. The Las Vegas papers are all over it calling it "hitting rock bottom" by losing a game as a 40+ point favorite. The writers are saying might such a point spread loss could be a record. Any way, Go Gophers!

Thanks, shorty. Doesn't sound like a culture of elite coaching. Eeking put a win against Buffalo at home and then excuses and pointing the finger.

It may take a few years to return to a 9 win team.

If it takes a few years to return to a 9 win team the coaching won't be the issue. It's because the roster isn't as talented as you think it is.

If it takes a few years to return to a 9 win team the coaching won't be the issue. It's because the roster isn't as talented as you think it is.

No chance the team is more talented than you think it is?

Six true freshmen saw the field for the Hawkeyes in their 24-3 win against Wyoming...we had one, Douglas.

One was Ihmir Smith-Marsette — guy Fleck lost recruiting battle for.

Smith-Marsette got on the field in the first half and took a jet sweep and fumbled.

The Hawkeyes used nine first-time starters, with six new starters on offense and three on defense.

We used three and four.

Six true freshmen saw the field for the Hawkeyes in their 24-3 win against Wyoming...we had one, Douglas.

Smith-Marsette got on the field in the first half and took a jet sweep and fumbled.

The Hawkeyes used nine first-time starters, with six new starters on offense and three on defense.

We used three and four.

Iowa looked efficient but beatable but obviously first game, so who really knows. The game was closer than the final score as their punter fumbled in Wyoming's red zone and Iowa took it in on the next play. Wadley is an excellent back and their TE Noah Fant is going to be elite. I believe we were in the running for him at one point. That's another one that got away. Stanley is a young QB but looks like he has skills. It will be a defensive battle, I think similar to last year. The defenses are clearly the strong point of each team at this point.

We used three and four.
Yeah, but Iowa is starting a grizzled veteran QB with oodles of experience.

Oh, wait.

Iowa looked efficient but beatable but obviously first game, so who really knows. The game was closer than the final score as their punter fumbled in Wyoming's red zone and Iowa took it in on the next play. Wadley is an excellent back and their TE Noah Fant is going to be elite. I believe we were in the running for him at one point. That's another one that got away. Stanley is a young QB but looks like he has skills. It will be a defensive battle, I think similar to last year. The defenses are clearly the strong point of each team at this point.

Iowa's offense line looked pretty good the 15 or so minutes I saw of the game also. Good run blocking for Wadley. Their true freshman DE also looked impressive.

We used three and four.

Seriously - what is your point? Iowa is in like year 19 of pretty well established machine...not even close to our decades of cluster-f*ckery.

Seriously - what is your point? Iowa is in like year 19 of pretty well established machine...not even close to our decades of cluster-f*ckery.

Yeah, those 19 year veterans really make a difference

Yeah, those 19 year veterans really make a difference
How many Iowa players came into the year with multiple years of experience under the current coaching staff's tutelage and systems?
How many Minnesota players came into the year with multiple years of experience under the current coaching staff's tutelage and systems?

Because u know the coaching to be infallible?

Dude, think it through, "true freshmen". They were not in any way, shape or form part of Iowa last year. It is all new to them. 19 years or 1 year means nothing to true freshmen for the most part.

Top Bottom