Streveler

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I realize, for many of you, once a player (or coach) chooses to leave they are dead to you. But, some of us really liked this guy Streveler. Some us may even wonder what might have been vs Rhoda and Croft this season.

Following his career from afar he built on last season and had a monster day yesterday, with USD putting in the backup at the half.

"Streveler's day was done at halftime when the scoreboard read 56-7. By then, he had completed 17 of 24 passes for 248 yards and five touchdowns. He was also the game's leading rusher in the first half, carrying 11 times for 53 yards and a score. It was the second time in 11 games at USD that Streveler has accounted for six touchdowns in one game."

Seems to be able to throw the back shoulder as well as rifle it in as needed.

https://twitter.com/SDCoyotesFB/status/904128849713127424

USD twitter feed with all the plays

https://mobile.twitter.com/SDCoyotesFB

So now that you've actually seen Croft play you're done pimping him and regretting we don't have Streveler this year.... can't make it up.

So now that you've actually seen Croft play you're done pimping him and regretting we don't have Streveler this year.... can't make it up.

As usual, I have no idea what you're talking about. I think Strev vs Croft would have been an interesting competition. He has the wheels and he has a good enough arm. Is his decision-making better than Rhoda's? So far I'd say yes.

Stop placing words in everyone's mouths. It gets pretty old and doesn't reflect well.

That Pioneer League that Drake is in....those squads must have some serious flaws on their rosters. Good he had a great game, but...

Well, no scholarships. Really don't think they are going to have a lot of good players.

Same number of scholarships as any other FCS team.

We don't know if he would be any good vs Big Ten defenses. However, he's performing at an elite level vs lower level.

I fear for our co-starter Rhoda once we hit Big Ten defenses. I think their arms are probably comparable, Strev clearly has better legs. It would have been interesting to see what happens - that's all I'm saying is the prior staff didn't even want him as a backup. Obviously with their track record we don't know what that means.

Same number of scholarships as any other FCS team.

We don't know if he would be any good vs Big Ten defenses. However, he's performing at an elite level vs lower level.

I fear for our co-starter Rhoda once we hit Big Ten defenses. I think their arms are probably comparable, Strev clearly has better legs. It would have been interesting to see what happens - that's all I'm saying is the prior staff didn't even want him as a backup. Obviously with their track record we don't know what that means.

Really? Then I stand corrected. I truly thought they were trying to play that league without scholarships. My mistake. Apologize.

Here is why I was under that assumption.

The Pioneer Football League is trying to do what no other conference in the FCS is doing; play at a high level without the aid of athletic scholarships. ... The schools were close geographically; neither offered athletic grants so therefore, Holy Cross could schedule games against Yale, Harvard and the rest of the Ivies.Jul 21, 2016

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13356

I scanned the roster, didn't see a "Streveler" on the list...

Incorrect. Teams in the Pioneer League do not give athletic scholarships.

Thanks for the correction. The only FCS conference to do so? Interesting they chose not to participate. Obviously they probably can't attract the same caliber of players. Any competitive teams come out of there in the FCS playoffs?

Not hostility, they just lose their significance to me as a fan.

Well, we talk about Gophers in the NFL, other football teams, etc. Inexplicably, a thread on soccer seems to come up every 6 months.

Some of us were interested in my post. Some aren't. That's fair.

Good for him. Doesn't always work out at one place and so people have to move on, but he wore the maroon and gold so I think it's fine wishing him well.

I think it's an interesting discussion.

IMO, if Streveler was on this team, this year. . .he would be our starting QB.

This isn't because he tore up Drake. It's because he was a solid FCS QB last year, he's athletic enough (and has the size) to play in the Big 10, and I've personally seen him play plenty of times.

He was not a good passer, but IMO, he's a better QB than Rhoda (I've seen practices and spring games where they both played).

Additionally, I think he would have played quite a bit last year for us. Mitch couldn't get pulled because we didn't really have any other options.

I said it at the time, I said it last year, and I'm saying it now - - I think the previous staff pushing Streveler to WR (which started his progression out the door) was a mistake.

Claeys / Kill did not seem to understand QBs. They recruited them poorly and then ran off guys like Rhoda, Streveler and Perra even though they had nothing better. Their succession planning at QB seemed non-existent. I think Streveler starts this year at Minnesota.

Claeys / Kill did not seem to understand QBs. They recruited them poorly and then ran off guys like Rhoda, Streveler and Perra even though they had nothing better. Their succession planning at QB seemed non-existent. I think Streveler starts this year at Minnesota.

Those guys chose to leave after seeing it would be unlikely that they would ever be the full time starter. I guess you could say Claeys "ran off" Rhoda as they decided to not renew his scholarship but I don't think that was the case with Streveler, DRM or Perra. Perra was a PWO anyways so there would be no benefit to running him off. QB is just a position where guys are always going to want to transfer if they aren't anointed the starting role early on. Guys like Rhoda who wait for 4 years on the bench to start are rare.

Also speaking of former gopher QB's. Perra went 17-32 for 202 yards, 1 TD and zero picks in a win against UW Eau Claire yesterday.

Maybe, maybe not on Streveler starting this year. Reason being Zembrowski was horrible at developing QB's.

Streveler could definitely run, but the coaches wouldn't let him pass here, so they must have seen problems for him passing at the B10 level. Very glad to see him doing so well at SD.

Drake is a non-scholly IAA school. They typically get thumped by the worst IAA schools. Saturday was meaningless as far as evaluating Streveler. It wasn't even certain that he would be the starter for a very mediocre USD team last year. It is true that he was a difference maker last year. There were times his legs carried USD to victory. There were other times his inability to throw a forward pass was also the difference in the game. Our QB situation sucks. Streveler would not have made it any better.

Streveler was fast, fun, decisive thrower.... but with us he seemed like he was destined to hit an opponent in the numbers about as often as Mitch over or under threw a guy. You can come back from an over or under throw.

Anyway I wish him the best of luck. I always wanted to see him as a WR and / or kick returner for us but dude clearly wanted to play QB and that's cool.

...and I've personally seen him play plenty of times.

Really? When, where?

Are you going to SD to watch games?

Not trying to be a dink, but I'm surprised that someone here has seen him play (I'm assuming in games, rather than practice) plenty of times.

I thought I remembered hearing about a Streveler injury to his throwing hand/arm while he was with the Gophers that the staff believed would prevent him from playing QB? I believe this was on a podcast, likely Gopher Gridiron Radio, and might not have the details completely accurate. I always root for kids who leave for a chance to actually play someplace else when they were likely going to finish their careers on the bench at the "U", so nice to see Chris do well.

Top Bottom