St John Johnnies lead St. Scholastica

The St. John's coaches obviously haven't heard of the strategy of eeking out a win against an inferior opponent so as not to show your future opponents any of your good plays.

Pretty inexcusable that there is not a mercy rule in place for college football given the injury risk. How about calling any game in which one team leads by 40 pts after three quarters? Seriously.

That might have helped the Gophers Vs Michigan at the dome

I know back in the day SJU would play and beat St. Cloud State and SCSU was considered a good DII team.

SJU's QB is Jackson Erdmann who was the Pioneer Press player of the year in Minnesota and first team all state for Rosemount and was originally a PWO at Penn State for a semester. Danny Pietruszewski is one of their starting LB's who was a former gopher PWO and second team all state in HS. I know their starting TE had a PWO offer from the gophers as well as several DII offers. A few of their players also played in the Minnesota State all star game in HS which a few gophers commits usually play in every year. Their best player, is from Arizona and I know as of two years ago, they had more players on the roster from California and Texas than they did from Iowa and Wisconsin so they do get quite a few kids from across the country. Also have a few guys from Louisiana.

UST has Perra starting and their RB was the Wyoming Gatorarade player of the year in the state of Wyoming and a scholarship guy at South Dakota. They also have Josh parks who was a former gopher PWO and actually originally transferred to SJU but only stayed their about a week or two. They do have 5 lineman that are at least 6-3, 300 pounds including a 6-8, 330 monster OT. SJU only has 2 over 300 but St. Scholastica actually had 3 so I'm not sure thats the best measure of a program.

Overall, both programs get a few guys (or a lot) that had DII scholarship offers and some with D1 PWO offers but simply prefer to get a better education at a school like UST or SJU as opposed to SCSU or Mankato and would rather play in the MIAC than NSIC. I don't think either program has enough talent compete with any FCS level teams, even the lower ones but they probably can compete and beat some pretty good DII teams.

Back in the day when SJU could play with and beat SCSU (late 70's early 80's), SCSU was also a DIII team. At that time NDSU was a DII team and was winning National Championships at that level before they moved up. NDSU would have destroyed SJU them. SJU or UST could hang for a while with a good DII team before they would likely get beat. A team like Northwest Missouri State or MSU Mankato would roll either one of them however. Claiming a DIII team could hang with a good FCS team is ridiculous and idiotic. Claiming they could hang with a good DII team I could see.

WIAC teams regularly beat NSIC teams as well. UW-LaCrosse is like 35-5 all-time vs Winona St. just as an example. I don't think the difference is as great as some believe.

The NSIC has only been Division II since like 1995. WSU is 4-3 in that time against UWL.

You could probably put together an intramural football team at The University of Minnesota that could be competitive in DIII football...it is beyond pointless to have this spam on this message board. Does St. Johns have a message board?

Next time someone complains about st Thomas everyone remember to post this box score

You could probably put together an intramural football team at The University of Minnesota that could be competitive in DIII football...it is beyond pointless to have this spam on this message board. Does St. Johns have a message board?
St. John's can't compete with NdSU but you vastly underestimate high D3 football compared to guys who don't play. The Top 10 in D3 would play competitive games with the bottom half of FCS. Would probably beat the pioneer league teams.

St. John's can't compete with NdSU but you vastly underestimate high D3 football compared to guys who don't play. The Top 10 in D3 would play competitive games with the bottom half of FCS. Would probably beat the pioneer league teams.

Bottom half, maybe. NDSU is not bottom half. The Bison just beat a bottom-half team 72-7. This whole back and forth was because someone falsely said SJU is at NDSU's level.

Bottom half, maybe. NDSU is not bottom half. The Bison just beat a bottom-half team 72-7. This whole back and forth was because someone falsely said SJU is at NDSU's level.

You must have missed the part where I said SJU can't compete with NDSU

There isn't much difference between the Pioneer League and DIII. Neither one gives out scholarships. Pioneer League teams are only DI because their other sports teams are DI.

There isn't much difference between the Pioneer League and DIII. Neither one gives out scholarships. Pioneer League teams are only DI because their other sports teams are DI.

Correct

WIAC teams regularly beat NSIC teams as well. UW-LaCrosse is like 35-5 all-time vs Winona St. just as an example. I don't think the difference is as great as some believe.

NDSU is probably a different ballgame.

The gap used to be much closer, but not anymore. All levels of football got better because of better recruiting and coaching. SJU used to play SCSU regularly and could win but they were also able to out recruit them. In 2007, St. Cloud State played UW-Whitewater and won 26-16. That was one of the 6 losses Leopold hade at UW-Whitewater. UW-W went on to win the D3 national championship that year and SCSU was 4-7.

Next time someone complains about st Thomas everyone remember to post this box score

They didn't run a fake 2 point conversion and played nearly 100 players. The leading receiver had only 2 receptions and they only threw for 223 yards. Can't kneel it every play.

Could St. Johns beat NDSU? I feel like their level of play is pretty similar...basically kids that couldn't go D1.

WTF? You are all over the place.

Back in the day when SJU could play with and beat SCSU (late 70's early 80's), SCSU was also a DIII team. At that time NDSU was a DII team and was winning National Championships at that level before they moved up. NDSU would have destroyed SJU them. SJU or UST could hang for a while with a good DII team before they would likely get beat. A team like Northwest Missouri State or MSU Mankato would roll either one of them however. Claiming a DIII team could hang with a good FCS team is ridiculous and idiotic. Claiming they could hang with a good DII team I could see.

Actually at the time in the late 1970's and early 1980's both the NIC(now NSIC) and MIAC were NAIA leagues. So St Cloud St. and SJU were playing under the same rules regarding recruiting,scholarships, etc. SCSU and MSU(now MSU-Mankato) left the NIC to join(or in MSU's case) rejoin the NCC. They could not do so until 1983 for football so in 1981 and 82 MSU and SCSU were NCAA DII independents. In 1983 they both joined the NCC for football and by that time had began to offer scholarships in football. Prior to that time SJU was very competitive against SCSU in football but when SCSU went D2 in one of the toughest D2 leagues it was going to be VERY difficult for them to compete. The two schools last met on the football field in 1983 with SCSU winning 21-14. They still compete against each others in sports where numbers are not quite as important(except hockey) where SCSU is D1. And I think the WIAC(Wisconsin D3 league) has an easier time recruting because all schools in that league are public institutions and admissions may be a bit easier than the private schools as well as being cheaper than the MIAC school which are private. And that CAN be a factor in D3 where there are no athletic scholarships.

Claiming a DIII team could hang with a good FCS team is ridiculous and idiotic.

LaCrosse beat FCS South Dakota St fairly recently and SDS went 7-4 that year. It's not exactly a regular occurance but it's hardly "idiotic".

Fun note: former UW-Stout HC Ed Meierkort went on to lead that SDS team to victory over our Gophers at TCF just a few years later.

LaCrosse beat FCS South Dakota St fairly recently and SDS went 7-4 that year. It's not exactly a regular occurance but it's hardly "idiotic".

Fun note: former UW-Stout HC Ed Meierkort went on to lead that SDS team to victory over our Gophers at TCF just a few years later.

SDSU was in Division II in 2006 when they lost to UW-La Crosse. They didn't move to FCS until 2008. I don't know if Division I teams are even allowed to play Division III teams, so yes, it is idiotic.

Also, not sure if joking on the second part, but Meierkort coached at USD, which beat us in 2010. We have never lost to SDSU. As an additional point, no one calls it SDS.

SDSU was in Division II in 2006 when they lost to UW-La Crosse. They didn't move to FCS until 2008. I don't know if Division I teams are even allowed to play Division III teams, so yes, it is idiotic.

Also, not sure if joking on the second part, but Meierkort coached at USD, which beat us in 2010. We have never lost to SDSU. As an additional point, no one calls it SDS.

South Dakota State moved to FCS in 2004, no? http://gojacks.com/sports/2007/6/25/942515.aspx?path=football https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota_State_Jackrabbits_football

They were FCS when they lost to UW-LaCrosse. I know a few WIAC teams play FCS opponents on a fairly regular basis, so it's definitely allowed.

My bad on confusing USD with SDSU. SDSU almost beat us in 2009, which probably would have been the only time in history a recruiting class lost to a DIII team and beat an FBS team. That would have been a fantastic story.

Actually at the time in the late 1970's and early 1980's both the NIC(now NSIC) and MIAC were NAIA leagues. So St Cloud St. and SJU were playing under the same rules regarding recruiting,scholarships, etc. SCSU and MSU(now MSU-Mankato) left the NIC to join(or in MSU's case) rejoin the NCC. They could not do so until 1983 for football so in 1981 and 82 MSU and SCSU were NCAA DII independents. In 1983 they both joined the NCC for football and by that time had began to offer scholarships in football. Prior to that time SJU was very competitive against SCSU in football but when SCSU went D2 in one of the toughest D2 leagues it was going to be VERY difficult for them to compete. The two schools last met on the football field in 1983 with SCSU winning 21-14. They still compete against each others in sports where numbers are not quite as important(except hockey) where SCSU is D1. And I think the WIAC(Wisconsin D3 league) has an easier time recruting because all schools in that league are public institutions and admissions may be a bit easier than the private schools as well as being cheaper than the MIAC school which are private. And that CAN be a factor in D3 where there are no athletic scholarships.
The MIAC was playing in D3 when D3 started in 73 from what I can tell. St. John's played in the 1976 D3 playoffs and didn't offer scholarships.

The MIAC was playing in D3 when D3 started in 73 from what I can tell. St. John's played in the 1976 D3 playoffs and didn't offer scholarships.

Not all MIAC was D3. For example, Concordia-Moorhead was NAIA until around 1982 ...won, tied, and was runner-up in a handful of NAIA championships before that. Nowadays, NAIA allows athletic scholarships which can help teams be competitive with at least D2 if they choose. Not sure if scholarships were allowed back then.

Top Bottom