St John Johnnies lead St. Scholastica

gophersfan

Reaction score
They leading 98-0. Not a joke. Wow.

Well, considering I literally live less than two minutes from St. Scholastica's campus, I figure I should take notice since it will invariably become a topic of conversation...for all the wrong reasons.

Probably could've scored a cpl more times. 0 - same number of national titles for Bethel.

Got this from a buddy of mine who was at the game. "They used more than 140 players I believe and ran the clock to 1 on every offensive play (no passes) in the 4th."

Was at the game. Left awfully early though. It was 70-0 at half and 21-0 within the first 3 minutes or so. They out gained them over 200 yards to 1 in the first.

Former gopher PWO TE Danny Pietruszewski is now an LB there so it was nice to see him play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could St. Johns beat NDSU? I feel like their level of play is pretty similar...basically kids that couldn't go D1.

With 140 players dressed up, maybe if they play eight quarters of football.

Pretty inexcusable that there is not a mercy rule in place for college football given the injury risk. How about calling any game in which one team leads by 40 pts after three quarters? Seriously.

Why does NDSU duck the Johnnies?

St. John's. > Miss Valley St..

The lower level DIII teams (UMAC) cannot compete with elite D3 teams like SJU,UST Mt. Union, or the UW DIII teams= Whitewater, Oskosh). The sad story is thatmany of the teams in the DIII playoffis (Hobart) , yes I know the UMAC gets in the playoffs) cannot compete with these teams either.

Much like the games this weekend, Saint Johns or St. Thomas could hang with an upper level team for while, and if they really did it well could beat them. St. Thomas has a giant O line, and some great skill position players. They could physically hang with NDSU for a while, as could the current St. Johns. This would be much like U of M vs. Buffalo.

PS St. Scholastica is probable the best suited team in that whole conference to make a stand vs. the MIAC, they must have POed the SJU coach, or the score would have been 84-0.

Pretty inexcusable that there is not a mercy rule in place for college football given the injury risk. How about calling any game in which one team leads by 40 pts after three quarters? Seriously.

Any chance you could lower that to 21? I'm just asking for a friend with the initials G.M. ...

The lower level DIII teams (UMAC) cannot compete with elite DII teams like SJU,UST Mt. Union, or the UW DIII teams= Whitewater, Oskosh). The sad story is thatmany of the teams in the DIII playoffis (Hobart) , yes I know the UMAC gets in the playoffs) cannot compete with these teams either.

Much like the games this weekend, Saint Johns or St. Thomas could hang with an upper level team for while, and if they really did it well could beat them. St. Thomas has a giant O line, and some great skill position players. They could physically hang with NDSU for a while, as could the current St. Johns. This would be much like U of M vs. Buffalo.
A division 3 team cannot compete with a top 5 FCS team. They would get ran off the field.

A division 3 team cannot compete with a top 5 FCS team. They would get ran off the field.

As I hoped to state it would be like a low level FCS team playing a good FBS team 28 to 7 or so. Saint Johns and Saint Thomas (or better yet Mt. Union or Whitewater) would not get destroyed by NDSU or SDSU. St. Thomas has 300 Lb linemen, good skill positon players, and former FBS starters.

So what would the score be if Mt. Union or St. Johns played the mighty NDSU Bizzzzzons.

I met SJU coach Gary Fasching and St. Scholastica coach Kurt Ramler on the same day. They both have SJU bloodlines. Maybe at the beginning of the game SJU poured it on, but there is no way that Fasching was trying to completely demoralize Ramler and hit a hundo. In my opinion, he intentionally tried to stop that from happening if you watched or listened to the game. St Johns was just that much more superior to the team up north. That Tommy-Johnny game just got a little more interesting. I will be there. Fire Kaler and Coyle!

There is no freaking way that UST or SJU could hang with NDSU! Good luck with that delusion.

I was kind of curious about NCAA Division III football championship history.

Mount Union (Ohio?) Dominate like a Ohio State or Michigan does in the B1G starting in the 90's. Next in line is Wisconsin Whitewater. They seem to draw a lot of players that are not quite FCS but who could play in that division.
Mount Union draws from football rich Ohio Valley and Rust Belt Country. Wisconsin Whitewater must draw players from the Madison, Milwaukee, and from Illinois-Chicago Area. These two teams dominate because of their geographical draw.

I think St. John's and St. Thomas who are in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC) are in the next level of DIII Football. There are others from different conferences in this category. Johnnies and Tommies have been dominant in the MIAC Conference.

DIII has the largest number of football players - about 40%. The approximately 438 to 450 members institutions (depending on classification) do not offer athletic football scholarships. There are like 42 conferences.

http://www.ncaa.com/history/football/d3

According to the NCAA, in 2015-2016 there is 1,083,308 HS football players. Of these, 73,660 (6.8 %) played in some form of NCAA Football Program. So the kids that cannot play DI, DI-A, DI-AA, or DII Football end up in DIII. Of the 6.8% that play college football, 2.8% are in DI, 1.8% in DII, and 2.4% in DIII.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_III

So what would the score be if Mt. Union or St. Johns played the mighty NDSU Bizzzzzons.

St.Johns would lose by 40+ points. They would also lose to the top division 2 teams by a decent margin as well.

St.Johns would lose by 40+ points. They would also lose to the top division 2 teams by a decent margin as well.

Kind of like Howard was supposed to lose to UNLV by about that much, or Liberty vs. Baylor?

DIII schools couldn't compete with the FCS schools on a weekly basis, but in one game, if they played well a St. Johns or St. Thomas could most certainly hang with NDSU

Kind of like Howard was supposed to lose to UNLV by about that much, or Liberty vs. Baylor?

DIII schools couldn't compete with the FCS schools on a weekly basis, but in one game, if they played well a St. Johns or St. Thomas could most certainly hang with NDSU

They could hang with Savannah State but not NDSU

I know back in the day SJU would play and beat St. Cloud State and SCSU was considered a good DII team.

SJU's QB is Jackson Erdmann who was the Pioneer Press player of the year in Minnesota and first team all state for Rosemount and was originally a PWO at Penn State for a semester. Danny Pietruszewski is one of their starting LB's who was a former gopher PWO and second team all state in HS. I know their starting TE had a PWO offer from the gophers as well as several DII offers. A few of their players also played in the Minnesota State all star game in HS which a few gophers commits usually play in every year. Their best player, is from Arizona and I know as of two years ago, they had more players on the roster from California and Texas than they did from Iowa and Wisconsin so they do get quite a few kids from across the country. Also have a few guys from Louisiana.

UST has Perra starting and their RB was the Wyoming Gatorarade player of the year in the state of Wyoming and a scholarship guy at South Dakota. They also have Josh parks who was a former gopher PWO and actually originally transferred to SJU but only stayed their about a week or two. They do have 5 lineman that are at least 6-3, 300 pounds including a 6-8, 330 monster OT. SJU only has 2 over 300 but St. Scholastica actually had 3 so I'm not sure thats the best measure of a program.

Overall, both programs get a few guys (or a lot) that had DII scholarship offers and some with D1 PWO offers but simply prefer to get a better education at a school like UST or SJU as opposed to SCSU or Mankato and would rather play in the MIAC than NSIC. I don't think either program has enough talent compete with any FCS level teams, even the lower ones but they probably can compete and beat some pretty good DII teams.

WIAC teams regularly beat NSIC teams as well. UW-LaCrosse is like 35-5 all-time vs Winona St. just as an example. I don't think the difference is as great as some believe.

NDSU is probably a different ballgame.

Top Bottom