I almost got the thought -

Rog

Reaction score
actually did.

Fleck showed nothing to the future games coaches. By how much we won, wasn't important.

Sooo - As fans we have to wait and see also.

But from his standpoint he was able to do much evaluation.

Go Gophers.

The band did a great show considering how little time they had.. The "row the boat" skit was way above average.

actually did.

Fleck showed nothing to the future games coaches. By how much we won, wasn't important.

Go Gophers.

The band did a great show considering how little time they had.. The "row the boat" skit was way above average.

Rookies had 10 days to go from playing the school songs for the first time to performing halftime and pregame (for some). And vets had 7 days to review and dust off their marching legs. To also throw in a moving picture is amazing! They must have worked their butts off!

actually did.

Go Gophers.

That was exactly my thought... I'm thinking rutm needed some work then that's what was run...

I don't disagree, but the same idea was mocked heavily for the recent coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to say that we heard this reasoning every year with kill and Claeys only to later find out that rutm was our only play besides a skinny post. I hope history does not repeat itself.

Because it was BS when Kill did it, that proved out. Probably the same here.

But Brewster would agree with you.

This team won 9 games last season. OK? It was playing a very low rated nobody. Why not crush them? Stealthy happy talk, or lack of ability? Come on.

This team won 9 games last season. OK? It was playing a very low rated nobody. Why not crush them? Stealthy happy talk, or lack of ability? Come on.

Or lousy coaching? Funny nobody comes right out and says it.

If you believe that Fleck and Company know what they're doing, the play-calling and play of the Defense in the 2nd Half made perfect sense.

If you believe that Fleck is all show and no substance or that the performance by the Offense and the QB last year is indicative of what we're gonna get this year, then yes, they've made no improvement in Coaching, play calling or Offensive performance. Though the QB play, while far short of the "Good Mitch"play in 2105 was way ahead of the "Bad Mitch" performances last season.

Guess we'll see as the season rolls on.

"That pragmatic approach was most apparent in the second half, with the Gophers holding a 14-7 lead. Though Minnesota’s offensive line wasn’t providing much push — “It was a stalemate up front all night,” quarterback Demry Croft said — Fleck and offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca kept calling on Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith. The duo combined to rush 20 times in the second half, one fewer than the first, but they averaged 4.1 yards per carry after intermission and just 3.1 before.

Leaning on the run game, while not thrilling or wildly successful, got Fleck the result he needed.

Late in the third quarter, the Gophers used mid-length runs — 4 yards here, 7 yards there — to set up Conor Rhoda completions to Demetrius Douglas and Brooks that produced first downs. The drive ultimately stalled with a couple of incompletions and Emmit Carpenter missed a 36-yard field-goal attempt, but the Gophers had driven deep into Buffalo territory and munched 4 minutes, 38 seconds off the clock.

Fleck also relied on a stout defensive performance in the second half — the Gophers gave up only 69 yards after intermission — and that enabled him to continue with his ball-control approach, particularly on the clinching drive.

Minnesota got the ball back with 7:22 left, and Fleck’s plan to tenderize Buffalo’s defense was in full force. Nine running plays — including a Smith 10-yard dash and a Croft 9-yard scamper for first downs — were the most effective parts of a 13-play drive that killed over five minutes of clock. Better yet: Carpenter’s kick was true this time, from 43 yards, giving the Gophers separation in the form of a 17-7 lead with 2:05 left.

It wasn’t only Fleck’s use of the run game that showed a cautious approach. The Gophers didn’t gamble much, going for it only once on fourth down — Brooks’ 3-yard run on fourth-and-1 from the Minnesota 46 in the third quarter. And when the Gophers faced fourth-and-3 from the Buffalo 47 in the first quarter and fourth-and-2 from the Bulls’ 43 in the third, Fleck sent out punter Ryan Santoso to pin the opponent deep in its end.

“When you get to the point where you’re missing field goals, you throw an interception in the end zone, you’re moving the ball really well and you stop yourself,” Fleck said, “you have to make sure as a head football coach you don’t keep beating yourself and don’t finish beating yourself on the final score.”

Again, I don't disagree this is a possibility. The hypocrisy on this site needed to be pointed out tho.

Again, I don't disagree this is a possibility. The hypocrisy on this site needed to be pointed out tho.

Good Lord, you are racking up the mindless posts. Doctor Don like.

Very understandable. Remember saying in the last couple of seasons going back to when they had Streveler out there, that yeah, they were hiding the passing game but maybe that's because they didn't have one.

Turned out to be wrong in an number of games/halves in '14 and '15. They had more than a few decent to good performances once the Coaching Staff let them open it up a little. Not so much last year.

But the QB play Thursday night and the number of times a receiver was actually open made me fell a lot better about this season's Offense.

I don't know PJ personally, but he didn't have the look of a cat toying with a mouse. He was sweating. This was his best at the time. Big things may be ahead, and I hope they are. But this is not a recovery project. The cabinet is not bare. STOP THE APOLOGIES ALREADY!

I don't know PJ personally, but he didn't have the look of a cat toying with a mouse. He was sweating. This was his best at the time. Big things may be ahead, and I hope they are. But this is not a recovery project. The cabinet is not bare. STOP THE APOLOGIES ALREADY!

The reasons most of us pointed to as reasons for a potential step back in wins (OL, QB, and schedule) were at least partially validated on Thursday. Still hoping for a great season, and how we're playing at the end of the season will matter more than if we have 6, 7, or 8 wins during the reg season.

"This" team did not win 9 games last season. Last season's team won 9 games. FYI - it was lack of ability...we are not as talented as last year.

An attempt at enabling bad football? Not buying it. I understand how college football works. Every team loses a class each year and adds a new class. Simple stuff.

I'd had the same thought. It was a lot of basic plays. Rutm, play action crossing routes, bubble screens, etc. No jet sweeps,(few runs outside at all really), no trick plays. Pretty vanilla all around. If you add in the 2 missed FGs, this game wasn't really that close. We dominated total yards, time of possession & 1st downs. I suspect we have a great coach on our hands. The online definitely needs to step it up, but the sky isn't falling. The way some people on here are talking, you'd think we'd lost. Keep the faith Gopher nation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't buy the notion that Fleck was "holding back" anything in his first game at a new school in a game that was much closer than it "should've been" given the opponent. He has got to make a good first impression with the fans, his boss, the players, etc.

Good Lord, you are racking up the mindless posts. Doctor Don like.

Well, the Fleck apologists are as mindless as you get. Subway puts up an oar? The State is excited. Think we should perform as good as last year? Must be 4-5 outliers. Recruiting looks the same? Can't expect different in first year. Bad performance? Must be part of the big picture plan. And so on, and so on, and so on. My mindless posts or the Fleckster's ridiculous reasoning? Why choose - GH gives you both.

I'd had the same thought. It was a lot of basic plays. Rutm, play action crossing routes, bubble screens, etc. No jet sweeps,(few runs outside at all really), no trick plays. Pretty vanilla all around. If you add in the 2 missed FGs, this game wasn't really that close. We dominated total yards, time of possession & 1st downs. I suspect we have a great coach on our hands. The online definitely needs to step it up, but the sky isn't falling. The way some people on here are talking, you'd think we'd lost. Keep the faith Gopher nation.

The way some people talk we were willing to be an interception or fumble away from losing to a second division MAC team to protect the playbook.

I don't buy the notion that Fleck was "holding back" anything in his first game at a new school in a game that was much closer than it "should've been" given the opponent. He has got to make a good first impression with the fans, his boss, the players, etc.
He beat the same coach like 38-0 last year. He was then handed the keys to a 9 win, big ten team. You honestly don't think he was confident in his ability to beat Buffalo, using only a basic game plan?

So now you're calling him liar.

:rolleyes:

The way some people talk we were willing to be an interception or fumble away from losing to a second division MAC team to protect the playbook.
I think he was protecting the playbook, got good results none the less... Then got hit with 2 missed FGs, a bad pick & had to shift into "grind it out" mode. I definitely didn't see much outside of vanilla on top of vanilla. The proof is in the pudding (vanilla pudding... [emoji6] ).

He beat the same coach like 38-0 last year. He was then handed the keys to a 9 win, big ten team. You honestly don't think he was confident in his ability to beat Buffalo, using only a basic game plan?

This is not helping....

Nope. To protect the lead.

"Fleck also relied on a stout defensive performance in the second half — the Gophers gave up only 69 yards after intermission — and that enabled him to continue with his ball-control approach, particularly on the clinching drive.

Minnesota got the ball back with 7:22 left, and Fleck’s plan to tenderize Buffalo’s defense was in full force. Nine running plays — including a Smith 10-yard dash and a Croft 9-yard scamper for first downs — were the most effective parts of a 13-play drive that killed over five minutes of clock. Better yet: Carpenter’s kick was true this time, from 43 yards, giving the Gophers separation in the form of a 17-7 lead with 2:05 left.

It wasn’t only Fleck’s use of the run game that showed a cautious approach. The Gophers didn’t gamble much, going for it only once on fourth down — Brooks’ 3-yard run on fourth-and-1 from the Minnesota 46 in the third quarter. And when the Gophers faced fourth-and-3 from the Buffalo 47 in the first quarter and fourth-and-2 from the Bulls’ 43 in the third, Fleck sent out punter Ryan Santoso to pin the opponent deep in its end.

“When you get to the point where you’re missing field goals, you throw an interception in the end zone, you’re moving the ball really well and you stop yourself,” Fleck said, “you have to make sure as a head football coach you don’t keep beating yourself and don’t finish beating yourself on the final score.”

We will know a LOT more about this team after Oregon St.

Top Bottom