USA Today: Minnesota band rows the boat in honor of P.J. Fleck (video)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

While its football team seemed to be treading water most of Thursday night, the University of Minnesota clearly is all in on new coach P.J. Fleck’s “row the boat” mantra.

T-shirts with the slogan were everywhere during the Gophers’ squishy season opener against Buffalo. Gold and maroon foam oars are being sold. The team carried an oar onto the field at the beginning of the game. Fans chanted “Row the boat! Row the boat.”

GOPHERS WIN:

The team’s new helmets include the slogan from the back to the front. Mascot Goldy Gopher carried an oar. And Caribou Coffee debuted "ROW THE BOAT/GOPHER BLEND."

Even the marching band created a rather clever formation of oars rowing a boat during its halftime performance.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ota-band-rows-boat-honor-p-j-fleck/623569001/

Go Gophers!!

band.jpg

Okay I can't be the only one in the stands that thought this looked more like male anatomy than it did an oar. Maybe I just have a sick mind.

Nice to see! Keep up with the formations of things and less random shapes!

There goes the megalomaniac PJ Fleck again making the pride of Minnesota all about himself! What a jerk! :rolleyes:

There goes the megalomaniac PJ Fleck again making the pride of Minnesota all about himself! What a jerk! :rolleyes:

Actually, the school supporting the football team's push and mantra is great. And the fact that they CHOSE to do it, makes it even better. Now, if they changed their uniforms to look like oars and canoes........

Putting PJ Fleck's personal brand on the uniforms - in the most prominent places on the uniform, that is the effort of a megalomaniac. I don't have a problem with whatever PJ Fleck wants to use as his "culture" on the team, I do have a huge problem (obviously) with subverting the University of Minnesota brand to a whim/trend/fad.

That may confuse some of you, but it shouldn't.

per USA Today:

While its football team seemed to be treading water most of Thursday night, the University of Minnesota clearly is all in on new coach P.J. Fleck’s “row the boat” mantra.

T-shirts with the slogan were everywhere during the Gophers’ squishy season opener against Buffalo. Gold and maroon foam oars are being sold. The team carried an oar onto the field at the beginning of the game. Fans chanted “Row the boat! Row the boat.”

GOPHERS WIN:

The team’s new helmets include the slogan from the back to the front. Mascot Goldy Gopher carried an oar. And Caribou Coffee debuted "ROW THE BOAT/GOPHER BLEND."

Even the marching band created a rather clever formation of oars rowing a boat during its halftime performance.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ota-band-rows-boat-honor-p-j-fleck/623569001/

Go Gophers!!

This, is elite. Love the band :)

Actually, the school supporting the football team's push and mantra is great. And the fact that they CHOSE to do it, makes it even better. Now, if they changed their uniforms to look like oars and canoes........

Putting PJ Fleck's personal brand on the uniforms - in the most prominent places on the uniform, that is the effort of a megalomaniac. I don't have a problem with whatever PJ Fleck wants to use as his "culture" on the team, I do have a huge problem (obviously) with subverting the University of Minnesota brand to a whim/trend/fad.

That may confuse some of you, but it shouldn't.

The whole idea that the tiny written words that no one can read unless you're super close up is somehow taking over the uniform is what confuses me.

The band rowing the boat during halftime was fun to see!

Top Bottom