[POST GAME THREAD] - Minnesota defeats Buffalo 17-7

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
I don't feel like filtering through 390+ posts in the in-game thread, so let's move the discussion to here.

My thoughts:

1) The defense is good enough to keep us in pretty much every game, and will become elite if Huff and Shenault step up. Four-man pass rush slightly underwhelming, but overall the DL and LB groups are the backbone of this team.

2) The offensive line is a disaster and will need to improve drastically if we want to win more than 3-4 games in the Big Ten.

3) Neither QB "won" the job in my opinion. I would roll with both in the first half next week and tentatively plan on shifting towards 100% Rhoda in the second half unless Croft steps up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were 1-0.

The student section was full to the top until they picked that $2000 winner in the middle of the 4th quarter. Even after that it was still full in lower deck until the end of the game. Thank you students who were at the game.

Shenault had a rough game. Especially in the first half. Of course it is just one game though.

Didn't hear the attendance announced. Anyone know?

Were 1-0.

The student section was full to the top until they picked that $2000 winner in the middle of the 4th quarter. Even after that it was still full in lower deck until the end of the game. Thank you students who were at the game.

Are we 1-0 or 1*-0. I get confused on how that works.

A win is a win. Better than a loss. I'll continue to believe (hope) they can improve as they get more time in the system.

But, that game left me pretty concerned. We couldn't move the ball against Buffalo.

Our cornerbacks and offensive line leave a lot to be desired. Receivers and front 7 were a nice surprise. Needs to get much better in a hurry though.

Best to forget this game and think forward to Oregon State. Nothing positive can come from discussing game #1.

Game wasn't pretty but it wasn't ugly either. I never really felt threatened. Lots to improve upon but we've definitely seen worse to start a season (or coaching era).

It's probably the best thing to happen in the long run for PJ. They come out and beat Buffalo 40-7 or something and the hype train is off and running. This tempers expectations a great deal and allows him to build this program at a steady pace. It's going to be a bumpy ride this season...I still can't stand the two QB system and think it throws off the offense but i'm excited regardless. We'll be a team that gets better as the season goes on as all teams do. The extra few days of prep for Oregon State should serve us well too.

PJ didn't lay on the turf during his first game, so can we call it a success???

ca661ac8fc5b82624dc9e1f63810e5d8.jpeg

Expected the offense to struggle tis f8rst game. Wish there was more motion and play action. Coach Fleck and University of Minesota athletics need to realize this is the University of Minnesota not the University of PJ or promote Fleck. Not everything has to be about Fleck or his ad museum sayings and stupid row the the boat. Believe it not Coach Minnesota does have college football fans that do not need re_ education camp on your philosophy or culture crap. The name on the jerseys are Minneotat, not the fighting PM Flecks. You don't have to ram down our 5heoats every saying or try and create traditii9ns out of thin error. Goody rowing went over like a wet fart. None of that stuff matters if they win and most will not care about any of that, but w3 don't need a stupid speech that you cannot hear every game or blaring every play. This game revolved to much Round Fleck talking his ideas about gam3 day down our throats. The culture will create itself, we don't need to have stupid unfamiliar cheers and obscure row the boat music. This is not Pj fricken Fleck University. The U will be here long after he is gone.

OLine needs a lot of work.

I thought the OLine was solid in pass protection for the most part. Rhoda seemed to be able to have time to find an open target in the first half. I would have to watch again but I don't recall either QB getting sacked (please correct me if I'm wrong). Rodney had 76 yards without breaking off a long one and splitting a lot of carries with Brooks. I agree, they should have dominated the line a lot more in the run game. Another week of practice with actual game film will only help change their best.

Expected the offense to struggle tis f8rst game. Wish there was more motion and play action. Coach Fleck and University of Minesota athletics need to realize this is the University of Minnesota not the University of PJ or promote Fleck. Not everything has to be about Fleck or his ad museum sayings and stupid row the the boat. Believe it not Coach Minnesota does have college football fans that do not need re_ education camp on your philosophy or culture crap. The name on the jerseys are Minneotat, not the fighting PM Flecks. You don't have to ram down our 5heoats every saying or try and create traditii9ns out of thin error. Goody rowing went over like a wet fart. None of that stuff matters if they win and most will not care about any of that, but w3 don't need a stupid speech that you cannot hear every game or blaring every play. This game revolved to much Round Fleck talking his ideas about gam3 day down our throats. The culture will create itself, we don't need to have stupid unfamiliar cheers and obscure row the boat music. This is not Pj fricken Fleck University. The U will be here long after he is gone.

Where is your tailgate for the MTSU game? Seems like a good time.

Shenault had a rough game. Especially in the first half. Of course it is just one game though.

Yup, they really worked him over on a couple of series in the first half... he was lining up with waaay too much of a cushion.

Get off my lawn!!! Ha! Ridiculous post.

My thoughts:

1) The defense is good enough to keep us in pretty much every game, and will become elite if Huff and Shenault step up. Four-man pass rush slightly underwhelming, but overall the DL and LB groups are the backbone of this team.

2) The offensive line is a disaster and will need to improve drastically if we want to win more than 3-4 games in the Big Ten.

3) Neither QB "won" the job in my opinion. I would roll with both in the first half next week and tentatively plan on shifting towards 100% Rhoda in the second half unless Croft steps up.

I disagree that neither QB won the job. We have to have a QB that can hand off, pass, and run. Rhoda is only willing to do two of three.

I only saw the second half but, yes, the defense was about as good as one could hope for in the second half.

Yes, offensive line was a real problem and that is all the more reason why we need a QB who can run.

Where is your tailgate for the MTSU game? Seems like a good time.

lmao

It hard to complain about the defense as they only gave up 7 points and were never really threatened, but I was hoping for more. They didn't seem to make Buffalo uncomfortable. Huff's interception was the only turnover and we didn't seem to have many big plays or get pressure on their QB.

The Rhoda interception near the end of the first half reminded me so much of Leidner. It was pretty obvious on tv that Rhoda was going to Lingen (complete with a last second look over to him before the snap) and then he badly under throws him for the "absolutely can't do that" interception. In general, I was pleasantly surprised with how both QB's threw the ball but they both seemed to lock on to one receiver and not move the defense with their eyes (Rhoda had another pass that could have been picked where he just locked eyes on one guy through his route).

Fleck was right in post game comments that they need someone to help Tyler Johnson out. It would be nice if Still could step up, but if he hasn't by this time with all the reported attention he's received from the staff maybe we have to just hope Douglas can be that guy as a freshman.

I like the Gold stripe on the helmets. Helmets are darker too, I like it.

It hard to complain about the defense as they only gave up 7 points and were never really threatened, but I was hoping for more. They didn't seem to make Buffalo uncomfortable. Huff's interception was the only turnover and we didn't seem to have many big plays or get pressure on their QB.

I'd agree with that, but was that also the only play we blitzed up the middle on all night? I believe we were confident and content to lay in the weeds playing primarily vanilla defense. Also, I do believe their quarterback does have some talent and their Johnson was a pretty nice receiver too. Buffalo is not the worst team in college football.

Finally got back...

Fiance started Pharmacy School at the U this month, so we have four more years of cheap student tickets to look forward to. My perspective from the student section:

The excitement was at its peak right before the game started. Which says a lot about the content of the game I guess. It jumped again for the Johnson TD. But then never really amped up after that. Good chunk of students left at half time. Overall, I would say the energy was like 6/10 the majority of the time.

As for the game, it was pretty boring. Johnson was the highlight. Both QBs need work. I really liked how Shenault turned things around in the 2nd half. I couldn't believe he was still in after all the mistakes. But apparently it's a part of Fleck's process. Still looking forward to the rest of the season.

I disagree that neither QB won the job. We have to have a QB that can hand off, pass, and run. Rhoda is only willing to do two of three.

I only saw the second half but, yes, the defense was about as good as one could hope for in the second half.

Yes, offensive line was a real problem and that is all the more reason why we need a QB who can run.

You do realize the QB isn't expected to run in Fleck's offense, yes?

Finally got back...

Fiance started Pharmacy School at the U this month, so we have four more years of cheap student tickets to look forward to. My perspective from the student section:

The excitement was at its peak right before the game started. Which says a lot about the content of the game I guess. It jumped again for the Johnson TD. But then never really amped up after that. Good chunk of students left at half time. Overall, I would say the energy was like 6/10 the majority of the time.

As for the game, it was pretty boring. Johnson was the highlight. Both QBs need work. I really liked how Shenault turned things around in the 2nd half. I couldn't believe he was still in after all the mistakes. But apparently it's a part of Fleck's process. Still looking forward to the rest of the season.

BTW - Pharm. School has what looks to be by far the best pre-game alum event, so you got that to look forward to in a few years.

Top Bottom