What grade would you give Gophers staff in their first game at the U?

What grade would you give Gophers staff in their first game at the U?

• A

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • B

Votes: 26 22.8%
  • C

Votes: 52 45.6%
  • D

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • F

Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters
Receivers look much improved, impressed there. RTB nah, RUTM! Oline was much better in pass pro than run block, I'm guessing this I still due to scheme? You basically had 4 starters returning on the Oline in Greene, Calhoun, Wright, and Wyler. I'm guessing that will improve as they get more experience in the scheme. D was decent. It's like they never saw an out route beforehand but stopped everything else.

I really like PJF but I'm extremely concerned about being able to run the spread in the BiG. You have to get those superior athletes compared to your opponent to make it work. tOSU and the like get first dibs and then it trickles down to everyone else. I remember Brew trying to do that and then realized it doesn't work and switched after a few years. You can't do that. Kill knew power was the way to go, in his mind anyway...and he ran a lot of spread variation at Northern. RTB PJF live and die by the sword, stick to your guns.

Offensively we looked a little stagnant as far as variety of plays. Didn't see many stretch plays with Smith or Brooks. Looked like we ran Off tackle read plays about 75% of the time.

I've seen this posted a few times and I'm not sure why people expect stretch plays with Smith or Brooks. Neither are speed backs that can easily get to the outside. They are far better north/south runners who hit the hole hard. But they need the offensive line to open some holes, which rarely happened last night.

The o-line has been my biggest concern since the end of last season. The o-line was not good last year, but they at least were decent against bad teams. They looked worse last night. If they can improve, the Gophers will be alright. If they continue to struggle, the offense will continue to be painful to watch.

I've seen this posted a few times and I'm not sure why people expect stretch plays with Smith or Brooks. Neither are speed backs that can easily get to the outside. They are far better north/south runners who hit the hole hard. But they need the offensive line to open some holes, which rarely happened last night.

The o-line has been my biggest concern since the end of last season. The o-line was not good last year, but they at least were decent against bad teams. They looked worse last night. If they can improve, the Gophers will be alright. If they continue to struggle, the offense will continue to be painful to watch.
Which is exactly why it's idiotic to have them standing right next to the QB. Good coaches put their players in position to succeed. After that, it's up to the players. This offense is setting them up to fail.

How many times did we run a play to the outside of the defense? Can't think of one. Both Smith and Brooks showed an ability to do that last year. I also believe they did that in the spring game. We just didn't see it last night.
I agree the OL needs to improve, more so in the run game than the pass game as I thought they did well in pass protection. I believe they didn't do much offensively, scheme wise, and we will see a more diverse running game next week.

I give them an incomplete.

It's really hard to know and grade after week 1 or say the first week of school.

Mostly the same problems we've seen for the last several years. The same head coach beat Buffalo 38-0 last year. It's almost like it's a talent issue. Weird.

Yeah, in the 11th game of the season.

It's almost like a "hammer and stick to the agenda issue". Weird huh? :rolleyes:

How many times did we run a play to the outside of the defense? Can't think of one. Both Smith and Brooks showed an ability to do that last year. I also believe they did that in the spring game. We just didn't see it last night.
I agree the OL needs to improve, more so in the run game than the pass game as I thought they did well in pass protection. I believe they didn't do much offensively, scheme wise, and we will see a more diverse running game next week.

I don't remember a sweep or stretch play that was successful even last year. I could be wrong, but I'd love to see an example. Some of the most successful runs I can remember are usually off tackle, then are bounced outside.

Yeah, in the 11th game of the season.

It's almost like a "hammer and stick to the agenda issue". Weird huh? :rolleyes:

Again what agenda? Reality? Buffalo is the easiest layup on our schedule and the offense struggled.

Yep, agree. Very limited offense. I'm not worried. I never felt Gophs were in control and never in danger of losing.

Again what agenda? Reality? Buffalo is the easiest layup on our schedule and the offense struggled..

The same head coach beat Buffalo 38-0 last year. It's almost like it's a talent issue. Weird.

You didn't know there was a difference in playing a team in the opening game of a season as opposed to the 11th game of one?

Ignorance or agenda? Agenda fits better for anyone who's read your stuff on the board. But if you're claiming ignorance instead, bully for you.

I thought a solid B, punting was much improved over last year. QB play is what it is, I was actually impressed with both. You can see that for Rhoda they will never respect the run option from that fake so that is rather pointless unless they can develop some play option off of that zone read. Croft can run but he tends to cut off his throws a bit when not finishing throws with his footwork. He will develop timing, only game repititions can give him that, and the program as a whole will be better off for it.
The reason I do not mind playing two QB's right now is neither has done anything to distinguish themselves that they deserve to be the guy, and both truly do need experience. If their was one de-service the previous administration had it was not using the other QB's in non-conference more to gain experience. Last year and the year before Mitch did not need every stinking snap in order for the team to succeed. Hopefully going forward they continue to rep more QB's and get them game experience. Wish the Gophers had more defensive lineman they could play, but if wishes were candy and nut's instead of if's and butt's we could make that happen. They will have to get by with what they have and the undersized linebackers on the line in order to make plays. I expect a lot more 3-4 defensive looks out of necessity, it is just how they are going to have to play on defense. You can tell Richardson is going to get every double team in the book.

You didn't know there was a difference in playing a team in the opening game of a season as opposed to the 11th game of one?

Ignorance or agenda? Agenda fits better for anyone who's read your stuff on the board. But if you're claiming ignorance instead, bully for you.

I like to analyze sports among other things in life. My 'stuff' is being realistic, just like it has been since I've started posting on this board. I'm sorry that's too much for you to handle at times.

iceland12: You didn't know there was a difference in playing a team in the opening game of a season as opposed to the 11th game of one?

The same head coach beat Buffalo 38-0 last year. It's almost like it's a talent issue. Weird. I like to analyze sports among other things in life. My 'stuff' is being realistic, just like it has been since I've started posting on this board. I'm sorry that's too much for you to handle at times.

Yeah, not knowing the difference between the play in a season opener and the 11th game of the season is just "realistic" then huh?

Forgot for a moment how young you are. Maybe you just really don't know.

You gotta stop. Your position that they're the same may be too much for any college football fan too handle. :D

iceland12: You didn't know there was a difference in playing a team in the opening game of a season as opposed to the 11th game of one?

Yeah, not knowing the difference between the play in a season opener and the 11th game of the season is just "realistic" then huh?

Forgot for a moment how young you are. Maybe you just really don't know.

You gotta stop. Your position that they're the same may be too much for any college football fan too handle. :D

Western Michigan also scored more points in game 1 last year, on the road against a B1G team, then we did in game 1, at home vs a bad MAC team this year. Is that better? And I'm not that young, just young relative to the majority on this board.

If you don't think our OL failing to get any push against a MAC team, even in game 1, is going to be an issue this year, then I can't help you.

Western Michigan (a 13-1 team) also scored more points in game 1 last year, on the road against a B1G team, then we did in game 1, at home vs a bad MAC team this year. Is that better? And I'm not that young, just young relative to the majority on this board.

Yeah, I got caught using a terrible analogy, and rather than just admit it I'm going to desperately try and change the subject. I may get more mature as I age.

Understandable.

Your apology is accepted.

Lol and I'm not the mature one? Keep bumping threads from years ago that no one cares about to try and prove some point. PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE Don't respond. I'm not capable of admitting a mistake. You've forgotten right?..:rolleyes:

Nope.

Little fella, you think it took a lot of research to expose your ignorance? :D

The posts being referenced are in this thread. 10:36 last night and about 9:30, 10:45 and 11:35. Oh and this one.

Hell, maybe you're just trolling for responses That would explain your doubling and tripling down of your ignorance and your desperate attempts to change the subject.

Maybe someday you'll have the spine to just admit a mistake and move on. In the meantime you can look forward to your car insurance goes down when you hit 25.

Nope.

Little fella, you think it took a lot of research to expose your ignorance? :D

The posts being referenced are in this thread. 10:36 last night and about 9:30, 10:45 and 11:35. Oh and this one.

Hell, maybe you're just trolling for responses That would explain your doubling and tripling down of your ignorance and your desperate attempts to change the subject.

Maybe someday you'll have the spine to just admit a mistake and move on. In the meantime you can look forward to your car insurance goes down when you hit 25.

What are you even talking about? What attempts to change the subject? Western Micighan's offense last year was better and more talented than ours this year. I've been saying that forever. Nothing that happened in last night's game proved otherwise.

Speed isn't the only thing that is needed to get to the outside. You actually have to run a play designed to be run out there and then block it correctly. Go back to last year and watch the TD drive vs. Iowa, Brooks scored on an outside run. Illinois last year, both Brooks and Smith scored on outside runs. Need More? There were others plays where it was designed to go outside and Brooks or Smith were able to get there.
Brooks and Smith are solid running backs, they can run between the tackles and also outside the tackles. We saw no runs designed for outside the tackles and if that is our entire offense going forward, we will struggle to win a game in the BIG. Doesn't matter how good our OL is, you can't run the same play between the tackles the entire game and get away with it at the college level.
Our OL was not great in the run game, but they held up rather well in the pass game. They need some work and will get better. Guessing this week we will see a little more diverse attack in the run game.

C. We won, so I think a C is the minimum grade. But it wasn't pretty and the opponent wasn't good so I don't see a reason to go higher than the minimum.

Agree with those who say it didn't feel like a close game. Never really had any doubt that we were going to win even though the margin was only a TD for much of the game.

Speed isn't the only thing that is needed to get to the outside. You actually have to run a play designed to be run out there and then block it correctly. Go back to last year and watch the TD drive vs. Iowa, Brooks scored on an outside run. Illinois last year, both Brooks and Smith scored on outside runs. Need More? There were others plays where it was designed to go outside and Brooks or Smith were able to get there.
Brooks and Smith are solid running backs, they can run between the tackles and also outside the tackles. We saw no runs designed for outside the tackles and if that is our entire offense going forward, we will struggle to win a game in the BIG. Doesn't matter how good our OL is, you can't run the same play between the tackles the entire game and get away with it at the college level.
Our OL was not great in the run game, but they held up rather well in the pass game. They need some work and will get better. Guessing this week we will see a little more diverse attack in the run game.

In those examples, Brooks' 2 TD runs were outside but they were both only 9 yard runs. Both of Smith's TD runs in the Illinois game looked like off tackle runs and not outside sweeps. I still believe Smith and Brooks break off their longest runs inside rather than outside.

As for your last point, you might be right. Even though I've argued in the past that I never believed the Gophers were purposely holding the offensive play calling back, I think that argument does apply to last night. It makes more sense with the first night of a new coaching staff, and a game that was never in danger.

As for your last point, you might be right. Even though I've argued in the past that I never believed the Gophers were purposely holding the offensive play calling back, I think that argument does apply to last night. It makes more sense with the first night of a new coaching staff, and a game that was never in danger.

In PJ's press conference he had a comment that made it seem like they were holding back / planning runs just to wear Buffalo down ... but IMO in a one score game, the game is always in danger...

Still yeah I think they held back.

In those examples, Brooks' 2 TD runs were outside but they were both only 9 yard runs. Both of Smith's TD runs in the Illinois game looked like off tackle runs and not outside sweeps. I still believe Smith and Brooks break off their longest runs inside rather than outside.

They very well may break off or have broken off their longer runs inside rather than outside. That was NOT what you were saying though. Your comments were, first you said that they didn't run any outside plays last year, then you said they aren't speed backs that can get outside. So, I gave you examples of plays that were run outside last year AND they showed off some speed and running ability to get to the edge. Now that I pointed a few of those plays out you, are saying they were short runs so they don't count? WTF I didn't go through every game to come up with those examples, I am sure if I had time I could come up with quite a few more, where either one of them got to the edge and used their SPEED to go by some people, just like they use their SPEED to run away from people on inside runs.
Think about this, if they have the speed to break off long runs on the inside, then why can they not use that same speed to go to the outside and break off long runs?

They very well may break off or have broken off their longer runs inside rather than outside. That was NOT what you were saying though. Your comments were, first you said that they didn't run any outside plays last year, then you said they aren't speed backs that can get outside. So, I gave you examples of plays that were run outside last year AND they showed off some speed and running ability to get to the edge. Now that I pointed a few of those plays out you, are saying they were short runs so they don't count? WTF I didn't go through every game to come up with those examples, I am sure if I had time I could come up with quite a few more, where either one of them got to the edge and used their SPEED to go by some people, just like they use their SPEED to run away from people on inside runs.
Think about this, if they have the speed to break off long runs on the inside, then why can they not use that same speed to go to the outside and break off long runs?

I never said they never ran any outside plays, I said I don't remember many being successful. I said you were right with Brooks TD plays. But they were short runs. Smith's run's were exactly what I remember being successful. I wouldn't consider those to be outside runs.

Smith and Brooks have good vision and run through people far more than they beat people with their speed. When people on here keep saying run the ball outside more I feel like they are wanting Gophers to do what they did with Maroney and Barber. Neither Smith nor Brooks have the speed those two backs did. They are more effective between the tackles than outside.

Rodney Smith's 70 yd TD vs Maryland last year, run up the middle. Same with Brooks long TD run vs Purdue the previous year.

I never said they never ran any outside plays, I said I don't remember many being successful. I said you were right with Brooks TD plays. But they were short runs. Smith's run's were exactly what I remember being successful. I wouldn't consider those to be outside runs.

Smith and Brooks have good vision and run through people far more than they beat people with their speed. When people on here keep saying run the ball outside more I feel like they are wanting Gophers to do what they did with Maroney and Barber. Neither Smith nor Brooks have the speed those two backs did. They are more effective between the tackles than outside.

Rodney Smith's 70 yd TD vs Maryland last year, run up the middle. Same with Brooks long TD run vs Purdue the previous year.

When I first made my comment, I was talking about our offense last night didn't run one designed run outside the tackles and that both backs have had success running plays outside the tackles. They don't necessarily have to be sweeps, although I believe those two would run those just as well. We showed no creativity on offense last night in the run game. Everything was between the tackles and we didn't pull any OL to lead through. Can't imagine that is all we have in the playbook.
Your point on their vision is spot on. They can use that vision on outside runs to find the seam in the D and both have good cutting ability which also is helpful on outside runs.

If the staff is worried enough with beating Buffalo that they had to play the second half scared then I am little worried. I am hoping this was just an anomaly, but if the staff thinks they need a lot better talent to beat the Buffalo's of the world then we are in trouble.

You have some valid points, but I think your memory is a bit foggy on Barber's speed. Yes, Maroney was a blazer. But I would take Brooks and Smith every time in a footrace against Barber.

You have some valid points, but I think your memory is a bit foggy on Barber's speed. Yes, Maroney was a blazer. But I would take Brooks and Smith every time in a footrace against Barber.

I actually had the same thoughts you did until I watched some highlights a while back. Barber was obviously a more physical runner, but he had a good burst when he needed it. Barber ran a 4.49 40 at his pro day. Maroney only ran a 4.51 40, which was surprising. I think both were faster than Smith/Brooks, as they are a lot more like David Cobb. Vision and power, but not as much speed.

Top Bottom