Which co-starting QB do you think played better vs Buffalo?

Which co-starting QB do you think played better vs Buffalo?

• Rhoda

Votes: 49 36.8%
  • Croft

Votes: 84 63.2%

• Total voters
Both look like they have more potential than Leidner. Rhoda is fairly steady and Croft is fairly dynamic. No way Croft makes it through the B1G season. He hasn't gained an ounce since his freshman year. For that reason alone, Rhoda will play more this year.

Both look like they have more potential than Leidner. Rhoda is fairly steady and Croft is fairly dynamic. No way Croft makes it through the B1G season. He hasn't gained an ounce since his freshman year. For that reason alone, Rhoda will play more this year.

Maybe, but I don't think either one looks like they have more potential than Leidner did after his first starting year. He just never realized it.

Maybe, but I don't think either one looks like they have more potential than Leidner did after his first starting year. He just never realized it.

Hmmmmm, that's an interesting statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was 180 something when he graduated. You can tell he has put on weight since the year he played some as a freshman. He looks much thicker in his legs and arms.

Rhoda has played and won a single game against Maryland, threw 1 pass in 2014 and about half a game Thursday night. Croft played a quarter or so against NW in 2017 and about half a game in 2015.

You're comparing them to Leidner at the end of his first year as a player.

That really doesn't work.

He was 180 something when he graduated. You can tell he has put on weight since the year he played some as a freshman. He looks much thicker in his legs and arms.

As you know, I follow hoops more closely than football so I was surprised when Croft appeared to look the same size as when I last saw him two years ago. He looks talented to me but about 30lbs of muscle from being able to make it through the B1G.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As you know, I follow hoops more closely than football so I was surprised when Croft appeared to look the same size as when I last saw him two years ago. He looks talented to me but about 30lbs of muscle from being able to make it through the B1G.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not disagreeing that he could use a few more pounds, but he has clearly put on a good 20-30 lbs already from when we saw him his freshman year.

I'm not disagreeing that he could use a few more pounds, but he has clearly put on a good 20-30 lbs already from when we saw him his freshman year.

Listed at 6'5", 200 Lbs as Sr out of HS. Stood next to him at the NW game in 2015, and he looks no different in size to me compared to then.

Listed at 6'5", 200 Lbs as Sr out of HS. Stood next to him at the NW game in 2015, and he looks no different in size to me compared to then.

Do you have a link? Because hudl this morning had him listed in the 180s with his senior highlight video. I'm not sure what the gophers listed him at as a freshman (i'm sure someone could find out) but he has clearly gained 20-30 lbs. Both practices I attended this fall people around us talked about how much thicker he looks both in his legs and arms, but especially his legs.

Do you have a link? Because hudl this morning had him listed in the 180s with his senior highlight video. I'm not sure what the gophers listed him at as a freshman (i'm sure someone could find out) but he has clearly gained 20-30 lbs. Both practices I attended this fall people around us talked about how much thicker he looks both in his legs and arms, but especially his legs.

Is what he's listed at on 2015 Gopher roster.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/minn-m-footbl-mtt-2015.html

Well then he has only put on 5lbs according to the gophers. Some weight training staff we must have! Just kidding. Agree to disagree how how he looks compared to his freshman year. He looked like he had tooth picks connecting his hips to his feet back then. Not so much now as he looks thicker all around to me. I guess the only way we'll find out how durable his is is if he wins the starting job and plays week to week. Personally I was underwhelmed by both QBs and don't think either of them separated themselves but (again personally) I felt like Croft looked more dynamic, checked more options and made better decisions. Rhoda seemed to stare down once receiver and throw to him whether he was open or not on most plays which is what everyone use to knock Mitch for.

He tweeted this out in January 2015, his senior year of HS when he was 200.8 pounds. He is 205 now so he's gained 4.2 pounds in 2 years and 7 months.

He has clothes on in that picture, I'll dispute his 200 status :p

Well then he has only put on 5lbs according to the gophers. Some weight training staff we must have! Just kidding. Agree to disagree how how he looks compared to his freshman year. He looked like he had tooth picks connecting his hips to his feet back then. Not so much now as he looks thicker all around to me. I guess the only way we'll find out how durable his is is if he wins the starting job and plays week to week. Personally I was underwhelmed by both QBs and don't think either of them separated themselves but (again personally) I felt like Croft looked more dynamic, checked more options and made better decisions. Rhoda seemed to stare down once receiver and throw to him whether he was open or not on most plays which is what everyone use to knock Mitch for.

I think he must have a really high metabolism. Other than the INT, I didn't think Rhoda was locking in on receivers. I agree it was underwhelming but think they both showed a lot of promise, given the limited playbook. Whichever way Fleck goes, I expect the QB play to be better than last year.

I finally got around to watching the game on my DVR.

My observations: Croft appears to be more athletic, and definitely a better runner. but there were a couple of times it looked like he had a chance to cut upfield, and he angled for the sidelines. I suppose he could be coached to go out-of-bounds, but it looked to me as if he was trying to avoid contact. As a passer, he mainly attempted shorter throws. I remember one deep attempt at best. Hard to get a reading on his arm strength from what little we saw.

Rhoda did seem to have a quicker release and a little more zip on his passes. he overthrew several balls, so seems to have good arm strength, but the touch left something to be desired - most clearly on the INT in the end zone. Rhoda is clearly not a runner. I don't think he every tried to keep the ball on a run option.

I guess if I had to choose, Rhoda might be the better short-term candidate, but I think Croft might be the better long-term choice based on athletic ability and running threat.

I rewatched the offensive series last night and both QBs left a lot of "meat on the bone" as far as the read option. Brooks took one from Rhoda and miraculously avoided a TFL, ended up with about a 10 yard gain.

Croft did keep a few times, but he can also do a better job. I can recall 82 being wide open on one of those plays he threw deep when TJ was blanketed.

One thing I noticed is our WRs are either not strong enough to block those screens or their technique needs work. Arkansas St. put on a bubble screen clinic vs NE. Perfect technique, no flags I can recall.

Lots of room for growth for both. Excited to watch the offense get better and better.

FWIW Glen Mason on KFAN with Dan Barrero when asked which quarterback he liked better chose Rhoda based on how he perceived they both ran the offense in the Buffalo game.

I'm not saying that supports or disputes anyone's opinions on here, just seemed appropriate to add it to the discourse on this subject.

Yes, things not only change from year to year but from week to week too.

Top Bottom