Which co-starting QB do you think played better vs Buffalo?

Which co-starting QB do you think played better vs Buffalo?

• Rhoda

Votes: 49 36.8%
  • Croft

Votes: 84 63.2%

• Total voters

I think Rhoda showed more composure and seemed more comfortable. He threw for the majority of our yards. I think Croft looked good too. I was impressed by the pocket presence with both of them. I think you can tell the difference in coaching at that position between years past and this year. They seem to keep their eyes down field more and keep their bodies square to downfield better. They move better fundamentally in the pocket. They also keep both hands on the ball while they are moving and looking downfield. I can totally see why Fleck came to the decision he did. Let's hope for a really good game at OSU. Ski U Mah and Row the Boat!

Lol Naturally, I saw things differently...I'm not saying by an avalanche margin for sure but I do believe Rhoda is the better quarterback. Rhoda's pocket presence I thought was excellent. He stepped up in the pocket to avoid the rush, he stood in the pocket knowing he was going to get drilled and delivered the pass on target. The only criticism of Rhoda's play that I saw and it was huge, was the interception...BUT, the play was immediately after the coaches took a timeout. Rhoda came out and STARED down his one and only target. Then the threw the ball in what looked to be a horrible pass. Why? It's not how he quarterbacked (surveyed the field) on his other passes...there was a misunderstanding on that play somewhere...the receiver on the wrong pattern, the coaches instructions to Rhoda misunderstood...something was off on that play resulting in a huge mistake not typical of his other decisions. jmo
Yes, Croft has more potential as a runner but in a critical spot he could have kept the ball on the read option and run for days...but instead handed it off for a loss of yardage. One example... I can also easily see how/why we might have made the decision to be playing two quarterbacks to start the season.

+1 I felt the same especially about the INT

I'd like to see a stat of our avg yards per carry with each QB in the game. My guess is that it wasn't close. The run game stopped with CR15 in the game as there is zero buy in from the D he would run. If they make Rhoda our QB, they need to just remove the read option from the play book.

I'm amazed that anyone saw a large difference between our QBs in this game. It is people seeing what they want to. I hate the 2 QB system but totally see why PJ did it after this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go look at the play by play stats on Gophersports and you tell me if they are close.

Don't know if anyone posted this.

Rhoda had 7 series
Croft had 6

They both averaged 33 yards per series.
They both basically lead 2 scoring drives (had Carpenter made the 36 yarder like he made the 43 yarder).

The run after the catch was 40 yards, not 50.
There's probably a reason why one QB had twice the passing attempts.

I think this 2 QB system goes on for awhile because I think they both bring qualities that the other does not and Fleck wants to get them both experience because like he says, they have pretty much no game experience at QB across the board and they need more than one QB with experience. As we saw last night, and as the statistics bare out, neither one has been able to separate themselves. I'm guessing over the next couple games one might do that, but I think it's going to have to be clear cut and consistent before Fleck goes with just one. I don't think it's a bad thing, I actually think it's a good thing! It's good to have 2 QB's that can play and have some game experience. Big Ten play is what matters and he is going to try and get these guys experience before the most important part of the season, Big Ten play.

Croft brings more to the table. He did a good job of looking off receivers and not just going to the first option. Also made some money throws as well. Being able to run will help in big ten play. Rhoda is a nice kid I'm sure, threw a decent ball but if we can't block we are less ****ed with Croft

Go look at the play by play stats on Gophersports and you tell me if they are close.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nobody stood out enough in one game, and really half a dozen series is hardly enough to tell.

But that's the problem with starting two guys at once, you get very little data on both. Anything significant could be an exception.

The only noteworthy thing was that Rhoda's INT was just horrific (i'm sure he felt the same way).

Lol Naturally, I saw things differently...I'm not saying by an avalanche margin for sure but I do believe Rhoda is the better quarterback. Rhoda's pocket presence I thought was excellent. He stepped up in the pocket to avoid the rush, he stood in the pocket knowing he was going to get drilled and delivered the pass on target. The only criticism of Rhoda's play that I saw and it was huge, was the interception...BUT, the play was immediately after the coaches took a timeout. Rhoda came out and STARED down his one and only target. Then the threw the ball in what looked to be a horrible pass. Why? It's not how he quarterbacked (surveyed the field) on his other passes...there was a misunderstanding on that play somewhere...the receiver on the wrong pattern, the coaches instructions to Rhoda misunderstood...something was off on that play resulting in a huge mistake not typical of his other decisions. jmo
Yes, Croft has more potential as a runner but in a critical spot he could have kept the ball on the read option and run for days...but instead handed it off for a loss of yardage. One example... I can also easily see how/why we might have made the decision to be playing two quarterbacks to start the season.

Agree, nice post. I'm thinking the same..I think the INT sways a lot of people's opinion of the performance. It took points off the board, but I saw enough in Rhoda's performance to say but for that he looked better and the offense moved down field better when he was QB. Next week will be interesting because I could absolutely see things flip in Croft's direction.

They are close, but different in their performances. Either way, Gophs will have better performance out of that position compared to last year, IMHO.

I thought Rhoda got bailed out a few times with excellent catches by Johnson (he's got a big wingspan). Croft is a better dual-option QB, but he struggled on the two read-options that I saw last night. On the first one, he seemed to be fighting Brooks for the ball and resulted in a YFL. Overall, I think Croft is a better option for this season.

So you looked at the overall run stats? Yards per carry when each QB was in the game?

So you looked at the overall run stats? Yards per carry when each QB was in the game?

I didn't but Ryan Burns did. That's exactly what his tweet states. I'm not sure why you are replying with questions that he already answered.

Would you consider 4.24 vs 2.60 Yards per carry significant? I would.

Agree, nice post. I'm thinking the same..I think the INT sways a lot of people's opinion of the performance. It took points off the board, but I saw enough in Rhoda's performance to say but for that he looked better and the offense moved down field better when he was QB. Next week will be interesting because I could absolutely see things flip in Croft's direction.

They are close, but different in their performances. Either way, Gophs will have better performance out of that position compared to last year, IMHO.

The INT says a lot. And it was just one... but

Mitch's career largely was critical games where a random INT caused problems...

Points are all that counts. Croft 10, Rhoda 7. Croft wins.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like Croft, but have enough confidence in Rhoda to make a throw or play if he's called upon.

The INT says a lot. And it was just one... but

Mitch's career largely was critical games where a random INT caused problems...

This. Decision-making and accuracy, touch are important. Combine the INT with reports out of practice of questionable decisions and that is my biggest concern with Rhoda. Which isn't to say he cannot improve but I'd go with the younger guy, with a gun to my head. Watch Croft throw a boneheaded pick next week...

I doubt Fleck names a starter. Ball is the program.

I like Croft, but if he made a few more 1st Downs he would have had lot more chances too.

Croft QB'd 12 of our 21 first downs.

Would you consider 4.24 vs 2.60 Yards per carry significant? I would.

I didn't want to do the math...the last series skew it much?

Here's how the #Gophers RB's performed with each QB last night.Rhoda: 21 carries for 59 yards (2.81)Croft: 20 carries for 86 yards (4.30)— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsMN) September 1, 2017

#Gophers RB Shannon Brooks' biggest run (16 yards) came on an option look with QB Demry Croft, same for Rodney Smith's longest gainer (10).— Andy Greder (@andygreder) September 1, 2017
Croft still doesn't put enough air in his log throws. There were a couple times he might have had his receiver catch the ball had the angle of decline been higher.
I think Croft gives us the best options going forward. He needs more reps in practice and he only gets that if he's named #1.

I didn't want to do the math...the last series skew it much?

My numbers were slightly off from RB's, but similar.
- I couldn't tell if he included QB runs. I did.
- I couldn't tell if he included the final kneel downs. I didn't.

One game. Things could change. However, our running game yesterday was better when Croft was in the game.

Some of the Rhoda backers want to laugh when people explain that his passing stats were inflated due to one play, but want to discount the INT as just one play. They are both flawed passers, but if the improved rushing attack turns out to be more than a statistical anomaly, I think you have to go with Croft.

That was a fabulous throw by Rhoda, though. I can't believe Claeys didn't want him around (I'm kidding - just talking smack. We are 1-0!)

Some observations...
-- Several times Croft mis-read the DE and hand the ball to the running back instead of keeping it. The DE were collapsing on the run-up-the-middle. Many times Croft should have kept it and gone around end.
-- Croft doesn't want to take a hit. Twice in that last Gopher drive he should have run upfield but instead jogged out of bounds. On the third-down scramble in our own end (where he ran to his left) the refs gave him the first down, but that was really generous. I don't think he actually made the 1st down mark. He should have dove for it to make sure he got the yards and to keep the clock running, but he just jogged out of bounds. On the second down scramble in Buffalo's end (where he ran to his right) he could he had an open field of about 8 yards in front of him. Instead of taking that opening and trying to get yards, he danced around for a while and then jogged out of bounds. We then didn't pickup the first down and went for the field goal.

Some observations...
-- Several times Croft mis-read the DE and hand the ball to the running back instead of keeping it. The DE were collapsing on the run-up-the-middle. Many times Croft should have kept it and gone around end.

Maybe those plays weren't options? Could've been straight handoffs.

Maybe those plays weren't options? Could've been straight handoffs.
Reading the DE takes experience, something Croft hasn't had a chance to gain. The plays I'm commenting on were options, Croft was looking right at the DE when the handoff was being made. I guess I'm used to Mitch being the tough-guy that'd punish defenders for trying to tackle him, whereas Croft seemed afraid to take a hit. I don't agree with folks that think he's a great runner, at least in this game he was too timid.

Top Bottom