White Helmets Are Coming

I don't have an issue with the hire. His total lack of leadership during the crisis, his inability to speak publicly without creating more confusion, and the absolutely classless way he handled the firing, all are despicable, yes.

Cali - you are spot on. Others see the Fleck hire and look no further. Too much effort. They still likely believe in the Wizard of Oz as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaaaand now we've taken a thread about helmets and brought it back to something that no one cares to talk about anymore. Well done guys!

I'll hold judgment on the helmets until I see them, but 16-17 year olds care about uniforms more than they should. If the white helmets look good it'll probably help recruiting so I say go for it

Aaaaand now we've taken a thread about helmets and brought it back to something that no one cares to talk about anymore. Well done guys!

I'll hold judgment on the helmets until I see them, but 16-17 year olds care about uniforms more than they should. If the white helmets look good it'll probably help recruiting so I say go for it

You did that by replying

If the changes to the uniform are all about the University of Minnesota, I won't like it, but I understand the arguments you make. If it is about the Minnesota program, and becomes a tradition (Brick by Brick) and the team decides to put in on the helmet, so be it. If it's the coach driving his personal brand, that will never be acceptable. I get that I had better get used to being disappointed, but that doesn't mean I should roll over and take it. None of us should.

Maybe a big pot of steaming Chili? Would that have been acceptable? Or a big grin down the center stripe?

Brick by Brick was a Minnesota tradition? News to me as the University of Tennessee also used, and still uses, the Brick by Brick mantra before the U of M Football team ever used it.

Just a guess but I don't think they're completely getting rid of maroon matte helmet. So I think 4+ helmets this year is likely.
Sounds like they still have the maroon matte and will use them. So maroon matte, maroon sparkle, gold, and white seem like the options we will very likely see this year. Haven't heard anything on if there will be any more than that this year but wouldn't be surprised with an anthracite type option this year or in the future.

Sounds like they still have the maroon matte and will use them. So maroon matte, maroon sparkle, gold, and white seem like the options we will very likely see this year. Haven't heard anything on if there will be any more than that this year but wouldn't be surprised with an anthracite type option this year or in the future.

I'll take the over. My guess is we'll end up with a 5th helmet if not this year, then next.

Brick by Brick was a Minnesota tradition? News to me as the University of Tennessee also used, and still uses, the Brick by Brick mantra before the U of M Football team ever used it.

Did the U use it? Yes.

Did the players want it on the helmets? Yes.

Was it used by the coach at a former school? No.

Was it all about Jerry Kill, or about the program. The Program.

Notice anything different? If not, you should.

I wasn't a huge fan of it, but it was an organic part of the program. Not an astroturfing campaign perpetrated by a megalomaniac.

Did the U use it? Yes.

Did the players want it on the helmets? Yes.

Was it used by the coach at a former school? No.

Was it all about Jerry Kill, or about the program. The Program.

Notice anything different? If not, you should.

I wasn't a huge fan of it, but it was an organic part of the program. Not an astroturfing campaign perpetrated by a megalomaniac.

Such a megalomaniac that he donates the proceeds from RTB to the U of M Masonic Children Hospital. I suppose the Mason's are megalomaniacs too for wanting there name on the children hospital. What a bunch of d!cks they all must be. :rolleyes:

Such a megalomaniac that he donates the proceeds from RTB to the U of M Masonic Children Hospital. I suppose the Mason's are megalomaniacs too for wanting there name on the children hospital. What a bunch of d!cks they all must be. :rolleyes:

Based on how you structure your arguments, I'm sure it must seem that way to you, but I can guarantee you that the Masons are no such thing.

And I think RTB is great. And it s great he donates all the proceeds.

Still has zero place on the University of Minnesota uniform.

Promoting PJ Fleck.

In the most prime real estate position possible on the uniform.

Ain't altruism grand?

Yes, Fleck 'self-promotes' but that self promotion includes the program/University. Complaining about his slogans is no different than complaining about different offensive styles (there was probably people on Oregon's Gopherhole that didn't like the fast paced style of Chip Kelly). What we have right now, is what PJ Fleck brings. We are PJ Fleck's Minnesota Gophers. That carries a lot more water nation wide than just the Golden Gophers (most people I talk to don't even know what conference we are in).

Many think that will equate to better recruits over time, but if you would rather have faceless/brand-less coaches who just try to stay the course and "out-coach" our rivals through on field gimmicks, Fleck will never be your guy. But, the hiring of Fleck brought his entire philosophy...we will see if it works. A school like Minnesota needs to take such chances. The days of simple hard work, and clever coaching to reach new heights went away with social media and recruiting services. Kids now know where to go at a moments notice. Fleck is no sure thing and an interesting experiment, but he is likely the only type of coach that can elevate us to another level. If the success of the program is not as important as continuity of slogans and uniform configurations, I suggest getting off the boat. Fleck may fail (or bail) but we can always start over as a bottom feeder, that is what we are and what we are good at.

There really are no Cinderella's or upsets anymore. Everything is streamlined and set. You have to completely shake the system to rise. In 2017 Drew Brees would NEVER go to Purdue.

no1.jpg

PRESACTLY! White helmets are uggg

Based on how you structure your arguments, I'm sure it must seem that way to you, but I can guarantee you that the Masons are no such thing.

And I think RTB is great. And it s great he donates all the proceeds.

Still has zero place on the University of Minnesota uniform.

Promoting PJ Fleck.

In the most prime real estate position possible on the uniform.

Ain't altruism grand?

So the big giant M on both sides of the helmet are in bad spots?

White on white is just the bomb! They should be a staple for us with just a little maroon and gold fine striping on the pants and shoulder pads.

Does the white helmets remind you of Storm Troopers?

How many helmets to the Gophers have in their equipment room? Maroon matte, gold, maroon shiny, throw back white and now the new white shown above. A quick search indicates helmets run about $500 each. That is a signficant investment for a helmet you may wear 1-2 times per year.

How many helmets to the Gophers have in their equipment room? Maroon matte, gold, maroon shiny, throw back white and now the new white shown above. A quick search indicates helmets run about $500 each. That is a signficant investment for a helmet you may wear 1-2 times per year.

I always hated the white helmets, and learned to accept the gold helmets (with the stripe), but especially dislike the addition of the gold stripe to the classic maroon helmet. I'd rather have a couple of rows on the uniform before that, but who cares?

Next year all hell will break loose, when PJ gets full control over the uniforms.

Brick by Brick was nowhere as near as prominent as RTB has been. And, it's not the U, it PJF and Western Michigan. On ABC today they showed a highlight of WMU scoring, and the announcer said WMU is rowing the boat today.

$10 and my left nut says they have more phrases and logos having to do with PJ Fleck than the University of Minnesota. That is one thing we can count on while he's here and our AD has the spine with the same tensile strength as a blade of grass in every color under the rainbow.

When are you growing up? Never mind. You can't help yourself. See a professional.

So - just thinking out loud here.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the Gophers decide to go with white helmets, white jerseys and white pants. And then, a half-hour before kickoff, it starts snowing like a sunnofabitch.

That has the potential to be either the greatest game of all time, or the biggest cluster-bleep of all time. Either way, I want to watch.

When are you growing up? Never mind. You can't help yourself. See a professional.

Well, at least you're not getting personal. I assure you, I am not in need of professional help. I have no problem keeping the fact that this is a message board for fans of the University of Minnesota Football team. I would encourage you to do the same.

Have a great day! I appreciate your concern.

Also, to try to keep this on track, I'm not a fan of the Barbie Style wardrobe for college football teams, and many of the teams in this country don't do it and recruit very well, thank you, but mixing it up, doesn't bother me, as long as they are:

1) School colors (I don't mind the white either as it is not a color, rather the absence of color.
2) About the team, not the coach.

If there had just been a solid stripe front to back, no Ski-U-Mah, no Row the Boat, I would have liked them just fine. If they'd left just the Ski-U-Mah on them I probably would have liked it less than the plain stripe.

For this reason, the Oregons and Marylands of the world are pathetic in their pandering to Nike and Under Armour, respectively. Also, you'll notice that results on the field attract more recruits than fancy uniforms - hence their drop off in recruiting and on field performance since Chip Kelly left. But they still have fancy uniforms, so everything's OK, right?

So - just thinking out loud here.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the Gophers decide to go with white helmets, white jerseys and white pants. And then, a half-hour before kickoff, it starts snowing like a sunnofabitch.

That has the potential to be either the greatest game of all time, or the biggest cluster-bleep of all time. Either way, I want to watch.

Our running backs would have monster numbers -- but would anyone know it?

Well, when the guy went against the norm of sticking with a coach, even though it was obvious to many they were in over their heads. And then hiring a search committee to fill a major coaching vacancy and then finally hiring a coach that was way down the list. Nope, instead he actually had a plan, executed it and hired the hottest up and coming coach in the country that has brought excitement and national exposure to the program not seen in decades. Yup, pretty easy to hate the guy.

Excellent post and I'm not being sarcastic. He did have a plan and went out and got his first choice.

As far as uni's go, white from head to toe is always a great look. Teams like PSU and Texas look great on the road.

Top Bottom