Eric Curry out for the year

What a punch in the gut to see this while getting ready to watch the first football game. Someone give me a positive spin. Redshirt and another year of maturity? Even stronger team next year? PLEASE!!! (I was sure this was just the year to sit back and enjoy the ride. Does this change my hopes significantly?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curry will now help us win the National Title in 2021.

But yes it's a big blow. I'd rank him our 5th or 6th most important player.

What a ****ty way to get the fall underway. Minnesota can't have nice things.

just heard the news listening to the Gopher football game out in the garage ... What a bad deal. Fitz has to step up big time

Sounds like a total blow-out; hopefully not career threatening.

Not sure why they are playing pick-up basketball this close to the season. Too much basketball and not enough directed training for injury prevention.

Crap ! Other bigs will have to stay out of foul trouble but what a tough injury for him.

Deep breaths, people, deep breaths...

So sick of this. This reminds me of the Tubby years when we were starting to get momentum and then Royce AND Trevor couldn't play. We also had the Al Nolen foot injury that was a brutal blow another year.

Last year, there we lose Fitzgerald to an ACL before the season and then Springs to an achilles in the BTT. There is no doubt in my mind that we beat MTSU if Springs was able to play, just like there is no doubt in my mind that the Gophers win the title in '97 if Eric Harris doesn't get hurt. Obviously much smaller stakes last year, but extremely frustrating.

Hope for the best with Eric Curry, I loved watching him play last year and an ACL is a beast to recover from without the additional ligament damage he also suffered.

Gut wrenching, devastating, for the team and fans but so unfair and heart breaking for Eric Curry. Richard Pitino, a week or so ago..."Our hardest working, most improved player over the summer has been Eric Curry." Life is not fair!!! My prayers are with Eric. So freakin' sad.

Well, that sucks.

Any Grad transfers out there?

I would tear my ACL, MCL and Meniscus in BOTH knees right this second if it meant this wouldn't happen to our team this year. I vowed that for Teddy about 369 days ago as well. So Minnesota it hurts. But at this point, it's next man up, no looking back.

Still a tourney team. No where near the bubble. Starting five is still strong. Means Murph and Lynch need to stay out of foul trouble. Konate will have to play more. Fitz will have to play all of the back up minutes at the four. Hurt will get more run now. Curry will get an extra year now so I bet Jarvis Thomas redshirts.

Still a tourney team. No where near the bubble. Starting five is still strong. Means Murph and Lynch need to stay out of foul trouble. Konate will have to play more. Fitz will have to play all of the back up minutes at the four. Hurt will get more run now. Curry will get an extra year now so I bet Jarvis Thomas redshirts.

Agree on all fronts, Bemidji. Somewhere in WI there is an a$$hole sticking a giant needle into a MN voodoo doll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still a tourney team. No where near the bubble. Starting five is still strong. Means Murph and Lynch need to stay out of foul trouble. Konate will have to play more. Fitz will have to play all of the back up minutes at the four. Hurt will get more run now.

I agree. This news couldn't be worse, and absolutely hurts our potential, but this is the best time of year to work through this injury. Springs' injury was in part so devastating because it occurred in the midst of a tourney run, and left us no time to prepare. The coaching staff can adjust and game plan in the coming months, and give certain players more run in practice to work through this. By all means, we're a worse team because of this, but we can mitigate that in the coming months.

Agree. Injuries happen and contrary to popular opinion, there actually are some options up front. Plus, there is time for the coaches and players to adjust to the news and make appropriate changes.

Would expect Davonte Fitzgerald to now become big factor up front. I actually felt he would be anyway, but this news just speeds that along a bit. Reports seem to indicate he's more than ready after missing last year. Hopefully, that'll be the case.

Still a very strong team and should easily make the NCAAs. Will they miss Curry? Sure. But there is still more than enough talent on this team to still be a factor in the Big 10 and beyond.

Many people on here are talking like the season is over based on this injury, and that couldn't be further from the truth. Curry was set to have a great year and the news is no doubt devastating, but the Gophers have the depth to get past this assuming there are no other major injuries. It means more run for Fitzgerald and Michael Hurt, probably means increased minutes for the other guards too. Everyone will have to do their part to make up for Curry's loss.

Lynch and Murphy MUST play smart and stay out of foul trouble. It's a different team when they're both on the floor and can play without having to worry about foul trouble.

Curry's injury sounds like what happened to Fitzgerald last fall, just sucks that it happened in a pic-up game. The "good" news is that it at least happened now, so Pitino has 2 months to figure out floor combinations without him. I'm still very curious to see Fitzgerald in game action, since he hasn't played an organized game in 2+ years. This gives him every chance in the world to be a major contributor this year.

One thing Curry's injury means is we're going to find out a year earlier than expected whether Hurt is a B1G-caliber player. Wasn't expecting much this season, now Gophers may need something out of him. If Hurt doesn't get many minutes this season, likely doesn't bode well for his Gopher future.

More than anyone, this is an opportunity for (if healthy) Fitzgerald.

Also, Curry injury puts more of a spotlight on having 2 scholarships (Diedhiou, Stockman) wasted on bigs that can't help you in 2017-18.

This injury blows big time. But he'll be back. Hundreds, thousands of examples of players coming back strong from this. And he appears to have the energy, support and drive to get back strong.

They're still better than they were last year even without him. Depth takes a hit, but honestly a 4/5 rotation that includes Lynch, Murphy, Konate, Fitzgerald, Hurt is still pretty good and allows for the big 2 (assuming they're not in foul trouble) to take the bulk of the minutes.

Any time I see ACL, MCL, and meniscus in the same description of an injury I think of Daunte.

Number one rule of pickup ball: Never jump! [emoji41]

Not to sound like a total debbie downer, but I'm just getting so sick of this. Ever since Eric Harris got injured in the Elite Eight, this program cannot catch a break. Sam Jacobsen (back), Joel Prisbilla (stopped going to class, suspended), Michael Bauer (broken arm), JB Bickerstaff (blown out knee), Vince Grier (clearly wasn't the same after that early season injury his senior year), Royce White (never played because of off the court issues), Trevor Mbakwe (blown out knee), Al Nolan (hurt foot), Davonte Fitzgerald (blown out knee), Akeem Springs (torn achilles), and now Eric Curry. And those are just on the top of my head. Whenever this program feels like it's starting to rise up again, something happens. Next man up I guess. Let's hope Fitzgerald is up for the challenge. Ugh, I need a beer already...

With Curry out, updated "Play 8, trust 7"

1 Mason
2 McBrayer
3 Lynch
4 Coffey
5 Murphy
6 Konate
7 Washington
8 Fitzgerald

Goddamn that gaston scholarship hurts. And that stockman scholarship having to sit out..... 2 unproductive front court players.

Gotta hope Fitz can guard bigs

Gosh darn, that gaston scholarship hurts. And that stockman scholarship having to sit out..... 2 unproductive front court players.

To me that's the bigger issue. This injury makes it far more likely Gophers get burned by Diedhiou/Stockman issue. Think we're going to see a lot more small ball now.

Does Nate Wozniak play basketball? I'm actually serious in asking this...

Is there any news regarding his surgery? - I suppose there is no rush as he is done for this season - but haven't heard any timetable.

To me that's the bigger issue. This injury makes it far more likely Gophers get burned by Diedhiou/Stockman issue. Think we're going to see a lot more small ball now.

Can see 4 guards on the floor with Amir being a combo forward/guard.

Top Bottom