Best Streaming Service to Replace Satellite for Gopher Fan??

AgedFan

Reaction score
Long time lurker. First time poster.

Can anyone recommend a streaming service that will provide for my sports needs?

I would like all the BTN channels, so I'm sure to get the Gopher broadcasts, plus NFL Network and the ESPN channels. My focus is Gophers football and basketball.

Hulu Plus looks like the best but they don't indicate how many BTN channels they will provide when there are multiple game running simultaneously. I'm in both CO and AZ if that makes a difference.

I can recommend playstations streaming service. Has btn and alternates.

Sling you can get everything but BTN
YoutubeTV you can get everything but NFL Network (but not available nationwide yet)

Go with the Core package from Playstation Vue. You get BTN with all the alternates plus all the ESPNs. Also FSN, FS1, FS2, NBCSN, NFL Network, Golf Channel, MLB Network, and NBA TV. $45/month with no contract. You have to buy a Playstation in order to get it ($300 I think), but you can use that to play BluRays and whatnot as well. I switched from satellite a few months ago and basically had the same criteria as you when I was looking. By far the best sports options of any streaming service.

I have used Sling, Directv Now, and just signed up with Hulu Live TV.

Sling was okay but does not and apparently will not have BTN. Directv Now was a mess--they appear to have decided to sell the service before they even had a functional service. I subscribed for 3 or 4 months and then dumped them this spring. Don't know how the service is now, but when I had it...

I just signed up with Hulu Live TV and in fact just watched all the episodes of Being PJ Fleck. I don't know how they'll handle multiple BTN games, but based on what I've seen so far, I'm not worried about it. For many streams, they provide both the east and west coast feeds, so I'm fairly confident they can handle multiple games. Also--and this I have found to be important--you'll want to know if your subscription service can be used to authorize the stand alone apps. Hulu Live TV says it can be used for the BTN app sign in (haven't actually tried it). I don't think Hulu Live Tv has NFL, but I didn't really look as I was only focused on BTN.

PlayStation Vue was recommended highly by friends, but since I already had no commercial Hulu, the Hulu Live Tv was more cost effective. And I liked the new app design that's coming. Besides, it's nice to know that in pinch, I still will have a free trial of both Vue and YouTube TV.

The biggest problem with Hulu Live TV (for me) is no Roku yet, and they won't let anyone else in on the Roku beta test. (Largest beta test in history, or so they say.) They did open the browser beta last Friday, so I went ahead and signed up and have been using it on my computer. It's a little rough around the edges with limited functionality, but it's okay for watching a game. No DVR function yet on the web version.

Actually, you don't need to buy a PlayStation to get PlayStation Vue. You can just use the app for Roku, Amazon Fire, etc.

Actually, you don't need to buy a PlayStation to get PlayStation Vue. You can just use the app for Roku, Amazon Fire, etc.

You are correct. I already had the Playstation so didn't matter for me, but yes you could use pretty much anything to get Vue.

PlayStation Vue works great. Ditched Comcast cable earlier this year but needed to get FSN and BTN still. Definitely glad I made the change. I have a PS3 but I just use my phone and tablet and cast to my TV using Chromecasts.

Huh? this thread could be written in swahili, and I would have understood just as much of it. all this stuff goes completely over my head. I honestly don't get how all this stuff works. I can hook up a cable to the back of my TV. That I understand. To paraphrase Charlton Heston, they can take my cable TV away when they prey it out of my cold, dead fingers.

Seriously, I understand that the industry is headed toward the streaming route. I know a guy who runs a municipal cable tv system, along with telephone and internet service. He gives conventional cable TV 5 years - 10 max - before it no longer exists in its present form. they were talking about upgrading their system, and his commission decided it wasn't worth sinking any money into something that will be obsolete before too much longer. at that point, I will have to find some 15-year-old kid to come in and set up my tv for streaming.

Just switched to PlayStation Vue. Agree with the other posters that Vue is the way to go

I've had PS Vue for over a year. I've been very pleased as well. The only thing they don't have, is FSN plus.

Thank you to all of you who provided recommendations. I'll start checking out Playstation Vue in just a couple of minutes and also Hulu Live.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow night. It has been a long wait.

You can watch BTN and ESPN for free with your cable providers log in no need to pay, I believe with ESPN you can pick the games as well I never tryed this before so no guarantee

Top Bottom