Former Gopher Andrew Harte named starting kicker at Rutgers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per NJ.com:

Given that he hopes to work on Wall Street one day, it's no surprise that Andrew Harte believes in taking risks.

Harte made a bold move this summer when he transferred from Minnesota to Rutgers for his final year of eligibility -- and he got the big payoff Tuesday when he was named the team's starting kicker.

"I always believed that I was capable to start in the Big Ten," Harte said. "It was a gamble, but I'm happy I took the risk. You've got to take risks in life, and it was a calculated good one."

Harte missed last season due to hernia repair surgery and watched as Minnesota's Emmit Carpenter won 2016 Big Ten Kicker of the Year honors. Knowing he was a longshot to play, Harte, whose resume consists of three onside kicks and a PAT, sought a new home.

In an era where the graduate transfer rule has brought free agency to college sports, Harte is putting the academics back into concept. He is pursuing a master's in financial analytics at Rutgers after earning an undergraduate degree in finance.

"At Minnesota, you needed to have extensive work experience before the master's program," Harte said. "I reached out to Coach Kill and said, 'I'm looking to play and I'm looking to go somewhere I can get my master's.'

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...gers_starter_followed_jerry_kill_wall_st.html

Go Gophers!!

Nice story and good luck to him over there.

Kill's staff seemed to know what to look for in kickers.

It's happening - our backups are starting on other Big Ten teams. #elite. :cool02:

Great to see a bright young man using or exploiting the system/school for a change instead of the opposite in order to advance his education and career. Good for him! I'm sure he'll do well in whatever he chooses to do on his path, no doubt about it. Also good for him for taking a chance and gambling on himself. Kudos!!

Perfect fit for him in his career. Jerry Kill being there he has someone in his corner. He gets a free $45.4K one year education in grad school.

Rutgers is ranked 70th best national college by U.S. News while the U is ranked 71st. Rutgers have about 49K enrollment while the U about 50K.

Good luck young man!

Their QB is currently on an NFL roster...

I know. I hope he can have a good pro career. Joel Stave also made the Vikings practice roster. Doesn't mean he was a prolific passer here. I was a ML7 supporter as he was the best option we had. He was mediocre for a QB while he was here. He won us some games. Also lost us some games. I blame coaching (QB coaching and WR coaching were horrendous here under Kill) more than ML7 for his lack of development.

Top Bottom