Gophers Release First Depth Chart

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers released their first depth chart ahead of Thursday's game vs. Buffalo. There aren't too many surprises within the position groups.

Garrison Wright will move inside and play guard, which is best for his skill-set. If you have read any of my pieces, you know I felt like he played out of position last year at tackle. In the three-WR sets, Demetrius Douglas, Eric Carter, and Tyler Johnson are listed as starters. Rashad Still slid down the depth chart as he continues to refine his technique and approach. Perhaps the coaches will get through to him over time. Much of Still's problem is related to his approach and mentality as a wide receiver.

On defense, Merrick Jackson was one of the most improved players, so it's not shocking he's listed as the starter alongside Steven Richardson. I really believe this could be a breakout season for him. Thomas Barber has put together a strong fall to push ahead of Cody Poock on the depth chart at MLB. I've always loved Barber's sound fundamentals, especially as a tackler. He's a perfect downhill run defender at inside linebacker. Defensive end Tai'yon Devers wasn't listed among the first four ends, which likely means he needs to show more growth as he adjusts to the new system. You'll likely see plenty of rotation at the end spots between Carter Coughlin and Blake Cashman as well. I've been preaching the importance of creativity on defense and I think you'll see it when defensive coordinator Robb Smith calls games.

If I recall correctly, safety Duke McGhee will need to sit out the first half for a targeting penalty in the Holiday Bowl. This will likely catapult veteran Kunle Ayinde into a starting role.

Here's the full-depth chart:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/minn/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/misc_non_event/082917depthchart.pdf

The Gophers released their first depth chart ahead of Thursday's game vs. Buffalo. There aren't too many surprises within the position groups.

Garrison Wright will move inside and play guard, which is best for his skill-set. If you have read any of my pieces, you know I felt like he played out of position last year at tackle. In the three-WR sets, Demetrius Douglas, Eric Carter, and Tyler Johnson are listed as starters. Rashad Still slid down the depth chart as he continues to refine his technique and approach. Perhaps the coaches will get through to him over time. Much of Still's problem is related to his approach and mentality as a wide receiver.

On defense, Merrick Jackson was one of the most improved players, so it's not shocking he's listed as the starter alongside Steven Richardson. I really believe this could be a breakout season for him. Thomas Barber has put together a strong fall to push ahead of Cody Poock on the depth chart at MLB. I've always loved Barber's sound fundamentals, especially as a tackler. He's a perfect downhill run defender at inside linebacker. Defensive end Tai'yon Devers wasn't listed among the first four ends, which likely means he needs to show more growth as he adjusts to the new system. You'll likely see plenty of rotation at the end spots between Carter Coughlin and Blake Cashman as well. I've been preaching the importance of creativity on defense and I think you'll see it when defensive coordinator Robb Smith calls games.

If I recall correctly, safety Duke McGhee will need to sit out the first half for a targeting penalty in the Holiday Bowl. This will likely catapult veteran Kunle Ayinde into a starting role.

Here's the full-depth chart:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/minn/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/misc_non_event/082917depthchart.pdf

Great write up Daniel. Any thoughts on what kind of rotation they will have on the DLine to keep players fresh? I was also surprised to see Coney Durr listed as backup CB to Thomas as I presumed he was still working through his ACL rehab. Hopefully we will stay healthy out there this week!

Top Bottom