Traffic - Parking - Thursday Night?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Hi all,
I promised a few posters I wouldn't post this week until after the Thursday night game, but for those experienced in traffic during Thursday nights during the fair with a Vikings pre-season game going on....
any guess on how bad the traffic should be?
Also any suggestions for parking?

I've been down for a couple MN United games and found nearby parking without much traffic, but that crowd is substantially less.

Curious what lots or areas nearby don't fill up to quickly. I bringing an elderly person with me, so proximity is a consideration if it means leaving earlier to get a spot.

You always should come early and stop by one of the establishments.

Hi all,
I promised a few posters I wouldn't post this week until after the Thursday night game, but for those experienced in traffic during Thursday nights during the fair with a Vikings pre-season game going on....
any guess on how bad the traffic should be?
Also any suggestions for parking?

I've been down for a couple MN United games and found nearby parking without much traffic, but that crowd is substantially less.

Curious what lots or areas nearby don't fill up to quickly. I bringing an elderly person with me, so proximity is a consideration if it means leaving earlier to get a spot.

Where are you coming in from?

South side.

I'd suggest the Oak Street ramp by Territorial dorm. Take the Huron exit off of 94. Half block from Sturbs. The U runs Cushman type shuttle carts to/from most the close campus ramps for those needing a little more help getting around, so you might want to email fan relations [email protected] to make sure that ramp is covered, although I'm almost positive it is.

Oak Street is a good one. Also easy to exit after the game especially if the game is lopsided. You can leave the game a little early.

I'd still come early if possible. Don't know if State Fair parking is allowed in these ramps on Thursday nights.

South side.

Near Hiawatha? Ditch the car and take the light rail. Goes right to gate D. Call the ticket office and see if they still have the carts that buzz around the stadium. They used to take people with physical challenges right to the gate. I am not sure, but I think Gate D might have an elevator as well. You can also have them put you in special seats for said elder. I used to take an elder neighbor (WWII vet) to games. The last game I took him to, they set us up pretty nice. I addition, the neighbor had access to semi-private restrooms.

BTW If you are driving, and they still have that service. You can drop your neighbor off and go to one of the close ramps. Oak street?

I'd call first thing tomorrow.

What is the process now with light rail. We haven't been to a game in a couple years. We used to get on light rail at Fort Snelling and then somewhere in the process had to get off and catch a bus to the stadium. How has that changed? Appreciate any info.

Come early, park at Surly (and partake) and walk from there.

What is the process now with light rail. We haven't been to a game in a couple years. We used to get on light rail at Fort Snelling and then somewhere in the process had to get off and catch a bus to the stadium. How has that changed? Appreciate any info.

Take the Blue Line to a downtown stop. Get off and wait for an eastbound Green Line train. Reverse the process to get back. It's pretty simple. I'm getting on the train at the Lake Street station. They don't have park and ride anymore, but there should be street parking.

Take the Blue Line to a downtown stop. Get off and wait for an eastbound Green Line train. Reverse the process to get back. It's pretty simple. I'm getting on the train at the Lake Street station. They don't have park and ride anymore, but there should be street parking.

US Bank stop on blue line. If you'd that, drive to Northbound smokehouse off Hiawatha & 38th. Free street parking and a great brewpub.

Going to the fair and then the game. Anyone have any tips for parking in one area and getting transportation to and from both venues?

With the Vikes game, I'd actually avoid trying the Blue Line, since the transfer to the Green line is at US Bank stadium. Oak Street is still probably your best bet...along with contacting fan relations. I've found them to be very accommodating in situations like yours. You can actually get into that ramp on the east side instead of from Oak street...much quicker and easier.

Going to the fair and then the game. Anyone have any tips for parking in one area and getting transportation to and from both venues?

The U lot on StP campus is normally for football but is used for State fair so I would think that's your best bet. Take the U campus Shuttle.

My recommendation still stands. If you are bringing an elderly person, you don't want him standing, walking, and waiting too long.
1. Come 1 to 1 1/2 hours early. At 1 hour early, you may be taking a chance on the lot being full.
2. Park at the Nice Ride Station - Oak Street Ramp
3. Call (you'd have to look up their phone #) to see if the Oak Street Ramp have Cushman type shuttle cart service available from Oak Street to TCF Stadium.
Per PMWinStPaul - you can also email fan relations [email protected] to make sure that ramp is covered, get a contact phone number to call for the service if possible.
4. There is an elevator at the Oak Street Ramp as well as TCF.
5. It is easy to get to and get out of the Oak Street Ramp - the fastest way to get to and from the freeway.
a> If you are coming from I-35W you take I-94 East just past downtown Minneapolis and get to the right lane as soon as possible.
b>Take the Huron Blvd Exit (235B).
c>Take the first immediate left - Fulton Street.
d>Take a right on Ontario Street. The parking ramp is up ahead on your left.
6. Try to leave the game a little early to get ahead of the crowd.
7. Take Essex St. to Huron Blvd which take you to the I-94 West/I35W South Exit.

Eazy-peazy. You will have the least amount of waiting to get out of the U.

I was glad I did that for the TCU game. There was I think a fatal accident on University Ave, and some of my friends that stayed until the end of the game got stuck until past 1:00 AM.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nice+Ride+Station+-+Oak+St+Ramp/@44.9710176,-93.2272122,17.01z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x52b32d2267df8c91:0x8225be03fc9f60dd!8m2!3d44.9719369!4d-93.226975

We have a perfect storm on Thursday with five venues that compete for parking and cause congestion:

State Fair
Twins Game 12:01 PM
Vikes Game 7:00 PM
Gophers Game 6:00 PM
Saints Game 7:05 PM

You will have delays getting on and off the train or shuttle buses plus you still have to fight traffic congestion.

https://twitter.com/alicialewisKARE/status/902860584995213313/photo/1

My recommendation still stands. If you are bringing an elderly person, you don't want him standing, walking, and waiting too long.
1. Come 1 to 1 1/2 hours early. At 1 hour early, you may be taking a chance on the lot being full.
3. Call (you'd have to look up their phone #) to see if the Oak Street Ramp if a Cushman type shuttle cart is available from Oak Street to TCF Stadium.
Per PMWinStPaul - you can also email fan relations [email protected] to make sure that ramp is covered, get a contact phone number to call for the service if possible.
5. It is easy to get to and get out of the Oak Street Ramp - the fastest way to get to and from the freeway.
a> If you are coming from I-35W you take I-94 East just past downtown Minneapolis and get to the right lane as soon as possible.
7. Take Essex St. to Huron Blvd which take you to the I-94 West/I35W South Exit.

I was glad I did that for the TCF game. There was I think a fatal accident on University Ave, and some of my friends that stayed until the end of the game got stuck until past 1:00 AM.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nice+Ride+Station+-+Oak+St+Ramp/@44.9710176,-93.2272122,17.01z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x52b32d2267df8c91:0x8225be03fc9f60dd!8m2!3d44.9719369!4d-93.226975

We have a perfect storm on Thursday with five venues that compete for parking and cause congestion:

State Fair

You will have delays getting on and off the train or shuttle buses plus you still have to fight traffic congestion.

This. Read my mind.

3. Call (you'd have to look up their phone #) to see if the Oak Street Ramp if a Cushman type shuttle cart is available from Oak Street to TCF Stadium.

I was glad I did that for the TCF game. There was I think a fatal accident on University Ave, and some of my friends that stayed until the end of the game got stuck until past 1:00 AM.

State Fair

The Oak Street ram is open for general (not reserved) parking?

I actually have to take two vehicles (younger kid won't make it a whole game, but i'm letting that vehicle us my usual parking) so gotta find a place to stash the other vehicle. Oak street would be great.

I actually have to take two vehicles (younger kid won't make it a whole game, but i'm letting that vehicle us my usual parking) so gotta find a place to stash the other vehicle. Oak street would be great.

It should be, with the new clinic nearby could fill up fast though. There are many spots reserved for the clinic

Yes. Cash I believe.

3. Call (you'd have to look up their phone #) to see if the Oak Street Ramp have Cushman type shuttle cart service available from Oak Street to TCF Stadium.

I was glad I did that for the TCU game. There was I think a fatal accident on University Ave, and some of my friends that stayed until the end of the game got stuck until past 1:00 AM.

State Fair

REMEMBER TO FACTOR IN THE TRAFFIC JAM OF THE NORTHBOUND I-35W TRAFFIC. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LEAVING FOR THE GAME EVEN EARLIER TO AVOID THE RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC JAM ON TOP OF THE TRAFFIC FROM THE FIVE EVENTS.

Park in Highland (Hillcrest or Pinehurst & Fairview). Take the A line to University, and the Green Line to the game.

Another tip: If you choose to do the Blue-Green combo; after the game, don't transfer at US Bank Stadium, go to Nicollet or Warehouse District.

Top Bottom