Pioneer Press: Gophers’ P.J. Fleck wants to take emotion out of quarterback rotation

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Rhoda, a senior from Cretin-Derham Hall, has five appearances, his sole start coming in the Gophers’ 31-10 win at Maryland last season. Croft, a sophomore from Rockford, Ill. redshirted last season after spot duty in three games in 2015.

“If I think both of these guys are going to play perfect football by putting them in the game and motivate by … ‘if you make a mistake, you’re out,’ then I’m not a great leader,” Fleck said.

“I want to be able to make sure they can play, run the system, and if they make a mistake, have the opportunity to respond to the mistakes,” he added. “That’s fair and that’s what they both earned.”

On Friday, Fleck said he wasn’t going to count snaps to make sure they are evenly shared. “We might just talk series, we might just talk flow of the game,” he said. “A lot of things can come into play with that.”

Fleck’s plan, of course, is subject to change:

— “If it’s (errors) that (are) catastrophic over and over, then you make a decision as a head coach,” he said.

— “I should never say ‘obviously,’ but as you go through the season, whoever is playing better is probably going to get more playing time,” he added.

In training camp, Croft and Rhoda toggled back and forth for who was the No. 1 quarterback.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/2...-to-take-emotion-out-of-quarterback-rotation/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom