Woodbury’s David Alston might be state’s top prospect, but are Gophers interested?

I hope that Fleck has a reason for not offering Alston.

Cause he’s a 34 stand up LB and we want to run a 43?

A 17-18 year old kid with talent like that shouldnt just be inked in for the rest of his life. So he doesnt fit the scheme right away...you then try to mold him. You get the best talent you can, and then trust the coaches.

On a side note, it was interesting to see Louis Ayeni's name pop up when I visited Alston's rivals page (Iowa State RB coach, credited with being the recruiter for Alston). If people remember, Ayeni was an explosive RB for the Woodbury Royals when they won their state championship in 1998. He was one of the top prospects in the state. Gophers wanted him, rumored problem though, was they wanted Tapeh too, and either Tapeh or Ayeni didnt want any competition at the position from the same class...Gophers ultimately made the right choice in Tapeh, as Ayeni had a pretty disappointing college career at NorthWestern.
Just found it interesting to see his name pop up out of nowhere. I happened to go to the same high school as him. My dad and I were just randomly talking about that Woodbury team the other day, and we were wondering whatever came from Ayeni.

I hope that Fleck has a reason for not offering Alston.
This is where the rubber meets the road. Fleck will likely have higher recruiting rankings than Kill/Claeys overall. But it really comes down to making the right decisions on the bevy of three stars we bring in.

Fleck looked at Alston and decided he isn't a good fit. All we can do is trust him and hope the guy he does bring in is a better fit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gophers ultimately made the right choice in Tapeh, as Ayeni had a pretty disappointing college career at NorthWestern.

I wouldn’t say that. Ayeni played as a true frosh RB at NU, then had a severe leg injury requiring multiple surgeries. He came back as a safety, was a starter his senior year and one of the better DBs in the B1G that year. Even starting only 1 season at safety he still signed in the NFL and played a couple seasons. That still puts him in probably the top 5% of MN HS football prospects.

I wouldn’t say that. Ayeni played as a true frosh RB at NU, then had a severe leg injury requiring multiple surgeries. He came back as a safety, was a starter his senior year and one of the better DBs in the B1G that year. Even starting only 1 season at safety he still signed in the NFL and played a couple seasons. That still puts him in probably the top 5% of MN HS football prospects.

Agree with this assessment.

So he goes to Nebraska. Spielman, in Lincoln, is a sensation as a freshman. I hope we don't start the old Minnesota to Nebraska pipeline again.

Top Bottom