Woodbury’s David Alston might be state’s top prospect, but are Gophers interested?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dane:

Less than 10 minutes into his introductory press conference in January, an animated P.J. Fleck hammered home the importance of locking down the borders as far as recruiting was concerned.

“You know where we’re going to build walls up around?” the 36-year-old head coach asked. “Our elite state of Minnesota. We’re going to draw a circle around six to seven hours around the Twin Cities area, and then we’re going to go to work.”

Since then, Fleck has made good on his promise, and the Gophers already have commitments from handful of in-state players. Yet with the high school football season only days away, perhaps the state’s best prospect not accepted a scholarship from the Gophers, he hasn’t even been offered one.

“They haven’t extended an offer yet,” Woodbury three-star defensive end David Alston confirmed. “There has been interest, though, and I think P.J. Fleck is doing really good things with the program.”

According to Rivals, Alston is the top prospect in Minnesota, and fourth best according to Scout. His near 30 scholarship offers, including offers from Power 5 schools such as Wisconsin and Nebraska, support those rankings.

“He is very explosive,” said Matt Jessen-Howard, a Gophers recruiting analyst for Rivals. “He has the look of a Power 5 player, for sure.”

So, why haven’t the Gophers offered?

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/2...p-prospect-so-why-havent-the-gophers-offered/

Go Gophers!!

Ryan Burns, a Gophers recruiting analyst for Scout, suggested that it comes down to how Alston fits — or doesn’t fit — into the 4-3 defensive scheme the Gophers want to run.

Alston is a 6-foot-5, 220-pound defensive end that projects as more of a standup outside linebacker at the next level.

There.

I think they can make him fit somewhere in the defensive scheme.

It's very odd that PJ hasn't officially offered this kid yet and he seems to be holding out for that Gopher offer otherwise he'd have committed some where already.

Get this kid an offer. I seriously doubt that the coaching staff can't find a place for him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Get this kid an offer. I seriously doubt that the coaching staff can't find a place for him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If he is really as good as the services say he is I would agree with your statement. Sign him and find a place for him.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

It's very odd that PJ hasn't officially offered this kid yet and he seems to be holding out for that Gopher offer otherwise he'd have committed some where already.

Something tells me those offers to Nebraska and Wisconsin have dried up

He will come back to haunt us at some point wearing some ugly shade of red. All Big Ten just because. Carter Coughlin was thinner than him coming in here too.

He will come back to haunt us at some point wearing some ugly shade of red. All Big Ten just because. Carter Coughlin was thinner than him coming in here too.

Coughlin was also significantly better than him.

Coughlin was also significantly better than him.

And Coughlin was recruited by another Staff. Fleck said on KFAN today that Coughlin would play LB if we had the proper talent at DE. He plays DE because he is good enough, but it's not his ideal 4-3 position.

I am afraid that Alston will be going to Nebraska a la J.D. Spielman. His official this weekend and the Gophers not entertaining an offer yet is indicative.

Two Minnesota kids who may come to bite us in the buttocks. Didn't JD return a kick off or a punt for a TD in the last game?

Spielman looks really impressive as a KR and WR. What happened there? Did we have a chance and slowplayed him for some reason? Would have been huge in this offense. Oh well.

I believe we were telling him DB only not looking at him as a WR. Super fast kid, but listed at 5'9" and that's generous, heightism is alive and well in college recruiting and isn't unique to the Gophers. Kid is a player.

I believe we were telling him DB only not looking at him as a WR. Super fast kid, but listed at 5'9" and that's generous, heightism is alive and well in college recruiting and isn't unique to the Gophers. Kid is a player.

KJ Maye and PJ Fleck were both shorties that had good college careers. I thought it was more about Spielman not being excited about the Gopher offense under Kill.

PJF himself was considered small and he disproved his detracters.

We offered him at him at WR, not DB.

Is there any news on Alston's visit to Nebraska?

If the Gophers offered him as a WR and not DB, will he reconsider? There is always a possibility that there may be position switches down the road.

Aune doesn't care what position he plays. He wants to be a Gopher and would contribute anywhere the coaches put him.

Is there any news on Alston's visit to Nebraska?

If the Gophers offered him as a WR and not DB, will he reconsider? There is always a possibility that there may be position switches down the road.

Aune doesn't care what position he plays. He wants to be a Gopher and would contribute anywhere the coaches put him.

Well Tommypoly claimed that the Nebraska offer didn’t dry up on the last page... I wonder what Alston is waiting on then if that’s an option?

Also, since when we were recruiting Alston as a DB?

I thought the offer was for WR, but he wants to play DB.

Watched Alston play last Friday. I am not a great recruiting mind but I was not impressed. Max James from Mounds View is a stud though. I know he camped with the Gophs. Not sure what position he'd play at the FBS level. He might be an FCS kid

Watched Alston play last Friday. I am not a great recruiting mind but I was not impressed. Max James from Mounds View is a stud though. I know he camped with the Gophs. Not sure what position he'd play at the FBS level. He might be an FCS kid

I view Alston as more of a camp performer than an actual game performer, similar to Seth Green a few years ago.

He's pretty underwhelming.

Committed to Nebraska. #Nebraska landed a commitment from OLB David Alston today. We take a look at what it means for the #Huskers (FREE) https://t.co/l2C2XPGYmo

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

David committed to Nebraska today per his twitter account. My son says he is a super nice kid. I do see him as a stand up LB vs a defensive end at the next level.

Top Bottom