Depth chart?

Jaykay

Reaction score
Anyone seen a depth chart yet? Think Fleck will make that available soon?

He might take Jim's lead and deny anyone is even on the team...

Depth charts are so 2014. It's all about position charts now, boys.

Either this depth chart means nothing or Durr has made a miracle recovery in two weeks.

I'm happy to see Barber starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder where the other Huff brother is playing now?

Interesting that all the "burned redshirts" from the LBs last year are now all starting...

So 10 of the 22 starters are Freshman or Sophomores, 11 if you include Croft. In game one last year, 4 starters were Freshman or Sophomores and one of those was Rodney Smith.

Now someone's going to tell me this team is just as deep and experienced right?

Talent and experience don't always align. Do the incoming guys have the talent to replace the departed? Is the overall talent level rising or falling? That's all that really matter. After game one they're all veterans and will only get better as we get into the Big Ten games.

No Gibson?
No Devers?

So 10 of the 22 starters are Freshman or Sophomores, 11 if you include Croft. In game one last year, 4 starters were Freshman or Sophomores and one of those was Rodney Smith.

Now someone's going to tell me this team is just as deep and experienced right?

I'm sure you also noted there are essentially the same number of Fr/So in the 2-Deep Off/Def as last year.

If these charts are anywhere near as comprehensive and accurate as last years...

Talent and experience don't always align. Do the incoming guys have the talent to replace the departed? Is the overall talent level rising or falling? That's all that really matter. After game one they're all veterans and will only get better as we get into the Big Ten games.

All veterans after Buffalo, huh?

I'll call them veterans after we play at Michigan...

Weren't there also some juco OL making their first start last season?

A few thoughts on the depth chart:

1. It's pretty damn impressive to have 3 true sophomores starting at LB. I'm calling Coughlin a LB even though he's listed as a stand-up DE. If Martin, Barber and Coughlin all stick around through their senior years and remain healthy, they could be our best starting 3 LBs since...??? We're in good shape at LB for while.
2. I'm somewhat surprised to see Calhoun as a back-up at RG as he had been starting there at camp. Connelly must have really come on to push Wright to Guard and Calhoun to a back-up spot.
3. With Wright as the only senior starting on the o-line and only 2 seniors in the 2-deep, if the line shows some potential and gets better throughout the year we will be set-up nicely for 2018.
4. Half the WRs are freshman... Bell is listed so it appears he's healthy and won't redshirt. Was really impressed with him at the 2 open practices I went to.
5. No Colton Beebe. Hopefully we get to see him with the ball in his hands with a full head of steam...
6. DE is a weakness. No Devers or Gibson, but it's Umlor listed as the back-up to Winston. Coughlin and Cashman at the stand-up DE spot.
7. No true freshman listed in the secondary. I thought Harris or Estes might make an appearance. I'm sure we'll see both at some point this year.
8. Only Brooks is listed as our KR...

They must be taking a cautious approach to Durr not to rush him.

I am not too concerned about Devers or Beebe or others not being in the depth chart. I am sure they will play at some point in the season. Injuries do happen. Some of the guys not on the depth chart may end up being impact players for all I can speculate.

A few thoughts on the depth chart:

1. It's pretty damn impressive to have 3 true sophomores starting at LB. I'm calling Coughlin a LB even though he's listed as a stand-up DE. If Martin, Barber and Coughlin all stick around through their senior years and remain healthy, they could be our best starting 3 LBs since...??? We're in good shape at LB for while.
2. I'm somewhat surprised to see Calhoun as a back-up at RG as he had been starting there at camp. Connelly must have really come on to push Wright to Guard and Calhoun to a back-up spot.
3. With Wright as the only senior starting on the o-line and only 2 seniors in the 2-deep, if the line shows some potential and gets better throughout the year we will be set-up nicely for 2018.
4. Half the WRs are freshman... Bell is listed so it appears he's healthy and won't redshirt. Was really impressed with him at the 2 open practices I went to.
5. No Colton Beebe. Hopefully we get to see him with the ball in his hands with a full head of steam...
6. DE is a weakness. No Devers or Gibson, but it's Umlor listed as the back-up to Winston. Coughlin and Cashman at the stand-up DE spot.
7. No true freshman listed in the secondary. I thought Harris or Estes might make an appearance. I'm sure we'll see both at some point this year.
8. Only Brooks is listed as our KR...

Also, on the DL weren't Silver, and Mafe praised? Devers missing from the list is most surprising. Julian Huff made plays last year at LB/rush end...surprised he's not in the mix on paper.
WR wise...did Howard sneak past some guys or was he always in the mix?

Also, on the DL weren't Silver, and Mafe praised? Devers missing from the list is most surprising. Julian Huff made plays last year at LB/rush end...surprised he's not in the mix on paper.
WR wise...did Howard sneak past some guys or was he always in the mix?

Mafe is raw and was almost guaranteed to redshirt. Moore has come on strong, so its not surprising that Silver isn't in the 2-deep. It will be interested to see if we try and redshirt him. Howard is fast and shifty, he will make some plays.

How about Jackson starting over Stelter? Also, only 1 true freshman and only 2 redshirt freshman in the starting 22 (if my quick read was right). I think so much will come down to the O line, and then the secondary. Even more so than QB possibly.

Fleck has continually said he's not going to really know what he has until we play the games, which is true. I'd expect this depth chart to shift continually based on results and his off field factors. I was a bit surprised to see Still listed as a backup. Good to see Holland thrown a bone - we'll get to see if he's turned the corner.

Dinardo mentioned tonight the practice he attended wasn't very physical and extrapolated that to mean they're going to struggle this year. That seems like a stretch as perhaps they're not hitting due to depth issues.

He also said there is "no chance" of an explosive passing game this season and "maybe" a chance of an explosive running attack. He again stated he couldn't figure out what happened to the roster. He said the defense is "rebuilding".

He's always been a bit of a blowhard, but it's almost like Fleck left his daughter at the altar. He really does seem to have an axe to grind with the new schemes and coaches that goes beyond simple analysis.. I don't get it. Nebraska is installing a new defensive scheme, new offensive scheme with a questionable QB and he's almost jubilant. The reason: a "pro-style" power run scheme. Brohm is also more his cup of tea, apparently. Purdue is full steam ahead per Dinardo. We'll see. Wisconsin, way ahead of everyone. We'll see. Griffith was more positive and pragmatic about the Gophers.

Top Bottom