Depth chart?

A few intriguing things

-Connelly is starting and Calhoun isn't
-Douglas is starting and Still isn't
-Barbers is starting and Poock isn't, I take that to mean Poock isn't quite back to where he was before his injury
-Umlor made the two deeps at DE over Devers, Gibson and the two other freshman DE's.
-Durr is on the two deeps which is nice
-No Devers or Julian Huff listed. I still expect them to play however.

Also it doesn't mean much but Rhoda is listed before Croft so I take it to mean that he will be taking the opening snap.

Umlor brings some beef and that dirt bag attitude we need on defense. I can see why they put him on defense. It will be interesting to watch his development.

Also, on the DL weren't Silver, and Mafe praised? Devers missing from the list is most surprising. Julian Huff made plays last year at LB/rush end...surprised he's not in the mix on paper.
WR wise...did Howard sneak past some guys or was he always in the mix?

It has been my opinion for some time that Silver will RS (he was a 3 to play 2 guy). Not because he needs it but because we have depth at DL this year and won't in 2-years. I was ripped for suggesting that on here a bit back but I still see it as likely unless injuries deplete our DL this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We may not see Devers for a few games and word is that it is not injury related. I don't have any details, just heard some hoopla about this being discussed on the $ sites.

Fleck has continually said he's not going to really know what he has until we play the games, which is true. I'd expect this depth chart to shift continually based on results and his off field factors. I was a bit surprised to see Still listed as a backup. Good to see Holland thrown a bone - we'll get to see if he's turned the corner.

Dinardo mentioned tonight the practice he attended wasn't very physical and extrapolated that to mean they're going to struggle this year. That seems like a stretch as perhaps they're not hitting due to depth issues.

He also said there is "no chance" of an explosive passing game this season and "maybe" a chance of an explosive running attack. He again stated he couldn't figure out what happened to the roster. He said the defense is "rebuilding".

He's always been a bit of a blowhard, but it's almost like Fleck left his daughter at the altar. He really does seem to have an axe to grind with the new schemes and coaches that goes beyond simple analysis.. I don't get it. Nebraska is installing a new defensive scheme, new offensive scheme with a questionable QB and he's almost jubilant. The reason: a "pro-style" power run scheme. Brohm is also more his cup of tea, apparently. Purdue is full steam ahead per Dinardo. We'll see. Wisconsin, way ahead of everyone. We'll see. Griffith was more positive and pragmatic about the Gophers.

I watched that segment last night. Dinardo made it sound like we'll be lucky to stay in a game this year and the roster is depleted with not very much talent other than the two backs. Then when Griffith spoke he had some praise but he turned to Dinardo and completely changed his line of thinking to say we were going to struggle.
Will be nice seeing those two eat crow by the end of the year.

You can bet if the Gophers lawnboy Buffelo Dinardo will say: " This really wasn't a test " DiNardo has had a burr up his ass about Minnesota since Fleck was hired.

Also, on the DL weren't Silver, and Mafe praised? Devers missing from the list is most surprising. Julian Huff made plays last year at LB/rush end...surprised he's not in the mix on paper.
WR wise...did Howard sneak past some guys or was he always in the mix?

Betting the staff would love to redshirt Silver. Considering he looks like the 5th DT, it'd be great if we could pull that off.

Excited to see Howard get listed on the 2 deep. Always have loved his potential.

Not a big deal, but I was surprised at the number of misspellings and factual inaccuracies.

It's almost as if depth charts mean absolutely nothing and shouldn't be taken as fact

A few intriguing things

-Connelly is starting and Calhoun isn't
-Douglas is starting and Still isn't
-Barbers is starting and Poock isn't, I take that to mean Poock isn't quite back to where he was before his injury
-Umlor made the two deeps at DE over Devers, Gibson and the two other freshman DE's.
-Durr is on the two deeps which is nice
-No Devers or Julian Huff listed. I still expect them to play however.

Also it doesn't mean much but Rhoda is listed before Croft so I take it to mean that he will be taking the opening snap.

Just some random thoughts. I was thinking last year that Calhoun might be better on the inside. Connelly has nice length and decent athleticism. Calhoun appears to be able to move a pile. From the little I saw looks like he can pull and play with leverage.

Jackson didn't appear to be as consistent as Stelter, but IMHO was more of a play maker.

We may see more of Poock and Huff on passing downs along with Devers. Huff can rush/ blitz from the middle or edge.

Umlor, Might have shown he can hold the edge better?

Douglas and Johnson might be starting ahead of Still to motivate Still. It could also be that they plan on rotating them early and often.

Won't be surprised to see all three at punt return (Winfield Shenault, and Douglas).

I'm assuming Rhoda's name being above Croft's means nothing, but has there been any indication of who will be getting the first snap?

Just some random thoughts. I was thinking last year that Calhoun might be better on the inside. Connelly has nice length and decent athleticism. Calhoun appears to be able to move a pile. From the little I saw looks like he can pull and play with leverage.

Jackson didn't appear to be as consistent as Stelter, but IMHO was more of a play maker.

We may see more of Poock and Huff on passing downs along with Devers. Huff can rush/ blitz from the middle or edge.

Douglas and Johnson might be starting ahead of Still to motivate Still. It could also be that they plan on rotating them early and often.

Won't be surprised to see all three at punt return (Winfield Shenault, and Douglas).
He's always played on the inside. Your probably thinking of Wright.

Some people may not like this, but here's what Fleck said about Still on Friday:

You look at Rashad Still, growing up. He's growing up. It's gotten better since training camp but, again, it's not just getting better as a wide receiver, and I
mean what I say when I talk about that, everybody. It's a holistic approach, academically, athletically, socially, spiritually, and if you're not growing in all those areas, that's going to affect your playing time, and I've made that very clear to everybody. So, as a whole, we all have to continue to grow that way. But I think he's made huge strides to becoming a more mature player, not just a better player, a more mature player, and, remember, we define maturity when doing what you have to do becomes what you want to do. I think he's been better in those roles. So I'm proud of the progress they've made. We've got to continue to add depth.

I'm assuming Rhoda's name being above Croft's means nothing, but has there been any indication of who will be getting the first snap?

The season hangs on this decision.

He's always played on the inside. Your probably thinking of Wright.

Need more c-o-f-f-e-e!-LOL You are right about Wright. Silly me. I even remember the staff talking about Wright playing tennis in H.S. Actually, for some reason I am still thinking that Calhoun did play some tackle as well? I guess I paid more attention to Greene then Calhoun, and Wright.

Need more c-o-f-f-e-e!-LOL You are right about Wright. Silly me. I even remember the staff talking about Wright playing tennis in H.S. Actually, for some reason I am still thinking that Calhoun did play some tackle as well? I guess I paid more attention to Greene then Calhoun, and Wright.

Calhoun played tackle in Junior College, never here.

Some people may not like this, but here's what Fleck said about Still on Friday:

You look at Rashad Still, growing up. He's growing up. It's gotten better since training camp but, again, it's not just getting better as a wide receiver, and I
mean what I say when I talk about that, everybody. It's a holistic approach, academically, athletically, socially, spiritually, and if you're not growing in all those areas, that's going to affect your playing time, and I've made that very clear to everybody. So, as a whole, we all have to continue to grow that way. But I think he's made huge strides to becoming a more mature player, not just a better player, a more mature player, and, remember, we define maturity when doing what you have to do becomes what you want to do. I think he's been better in those roles. So I'm proud of the progress they've made. We've got to continue to add depth.

That doesn't mean that he isn't starting someone else in front of Still to motivate Still. It might just mean that Still needs to be motivated more off the field to meet expectations.

Don't forget also that while Duke McGhee is listed as the starting safety, he's suspended for the first half Thursday night. He was ejected from the Holiday Bowl for that targeting penalty.

It's Fleck's team, and he has every right to run the show the way he wants.

But - if I am understanding this quote correctly, then Fleck is saying that the 'best' player may not be playing based on things that do not directly bear on athletic ability. Maybe I just don't get it, but if I'm coaching a team, the best players are going to play, as long as they are not breaking team rules or behaving in a way that is disruptive to the team. A team is going to have people with different outlooks and different personalities. You can't just shove them all into a box and expect everyone to be the same. My concern would be how teammates will handle the situation. The guys on the team know who the best players are - and if the best player at a certain position is not starting because the coach doesn't think he measures up socially or spiritually, I could see some players not being happy with that. I wouldn't be happy with that. They're football players. They accepted scholarships to play football - not to go through some Joel Osteen life class.

All this "culture change" stuff may be great - but if the team loses a game because the best players weren't playing, does that change any fans' minds about Fleck?

But - if I am understanding this quote correctly, then Fleck is saying that the 'best' player may not be playing based on things that do not directly bear on athletic ability. Maybe I just don't get it, but if I'm coaching a team, the best players are going to play, as long as they are not breaking team rules or behaving in a way that is disruptive to the team. A team is going to have people with different outlooks and different personalities. You can't just shove them all into a box and expect everyone to be the same. My concern would be how teammates will handle the situation. The guys on the team know who the best players are - and if the best player at a certain position is not starting because the coach doesn't think he measures up socially or spiritually, I could see some players not being happy with that. I wouldn't be happy with that. They're football players. They accepted scholarships to play football - not to go through some Joel Osteen life class.

All this "culture change" stuff may be great - but if the team loses a game because the best players weren't playing, does that change any fans' minds about Fleck?

Can you honestly look at the depth chart and say the best players aren't starting? The only possible exception is maybe Carter over Still. Fleck isn't stupid, he's going to play the best players on the team no matter what he says to the media.

Totally agree

Still doesn't make the plays a starting WR should make anyways, he's been coasting on his athletic abilities his entire time here.

Here's a wild thought: maybe Johnson and Douglas have outplayed Still during fall camp.

Still's best year he had what, 18 catches? It's not like they jumped a guy who caught 70 balls...

I would fully anticipate those that don't buy into Flecks culture will not play. And he will not recruit guys in the future that don't buy into the culture. He's got a couple years hear to make that culture stick and he's gonna make or break based on if he can get high level athletes to come to the University of Minnesota and Row the Boat.

If you think he just shruggs his shoulders if someone doesn't use the word elite over good, you're completely missing the point with this guy.

Right, wrong or indifferent, this is definately what we will be seeing. Whether it's in sports or business, you don't talk that way and then turn the cheek once the lights come on.

Don't forget also that while Duke McGhee is listed as the starting safety, he's suspended for the first half Thursday night. He was ejected from the Holiday Bowl for that targeting penalty.

Hopefully Ayinde is ready to play

Top Bottom