Would Coach Fleck run up the score before putting in backups?

Would Coach Fleck run up the score before putting in backups?

• Yes

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

Taji34

Reaction score
If we have the talent, does Fleck run up the score before putting the 2nds and 3rds in, or does he only go up by a few?

Generally when it comes to pre conference games against teams you paid, nobody has a problem with "running up the score".

So it's just up to him as to what he wants to accomplish with his guys on the field.

"It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals!" - Dan Hawkins

As long as it's done without Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks, Steven Richardson & Antoine Winfield (insert whoever else doesn't "need" the work), I have zero problem. The coaches need to see what cards they got...

Looks like I may have misunderstood the ? though....I guess to me, 24 or more points at start or any point in 4th quarter is my #. This is also depends on how that game is going. If it's 28-0 & there's no hope for the opposing offense, then it's safe. If it's like 55-28, then I'm more inclined to say the game is never over. College football is too wacky to think otherwise. See: Glen Mason '06 and Jimmy Johnson when they blew a big lead vs. Maryland in his early years at Miami.

Lordy, I hope so.

How else are the Sagarin predictions supposed to improve?

Impossible to answer. What he may have done at a lower level is immaterial. Fleck is playing in the B1G now. The Gophers may - emphasis on may - have a rare opportunity to run up the score in a non-conference game, but odds say that most games they play - especially the conference games - are going to be relatively close.

Yes, we can all recount the instances where the Gophers have been blown out, and the rare blow-out victories, but in the long run, most games are close enough to render the blow-out equation as moot.

Instead of worrying about whether Fleck might run up the score in a blowout, I would much rather know how he and his team will perform in tight games. Win the close games, and you're generally going to have a good season. You might get one blowout game a year. the rest of the games will be closer.

High scores get noticed and are given more air time. So do highlight plays. Expect PJ to get as much free publicity out of every game he can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals!" - Dan Hawkins

As long as it's done without Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks, Steven Richardson & Antoine Winfield (insert whoever else doesn't "need" the work), I have zero problem. The coaches need to see what cards they got...

Looks like I may have misunderstood the ? though....I guess to me, 24 or more points at start or any point in 4th quarter is my #. This is also depends on how that game is going. If it's 28-0 & there's no hope for the opposing offense, then it's safe. If it's like 55-28, then I'm more inclined to say the game is never over. College football is too wacky to think otherwise. See: Glen Mason '06 and Jimmy Johnson when they blew a big lead vs. Maryland in his early years at Miami.

As opposed to Glen Mason '99, Glen Mason '00, Glen Mason '03, Glen Mason '05...

I'm hoping they score on every drive making it more of a how soon can you put the backups in rather than when are you running up the score, if you catch what I mean.

last year W. Michigan vs Buffalo
0-0 after 1
14-0 at half
24-0 after 3
38-0 at final

Even against a team that didn't win many games, it was still a slow start for the W Michigan offense.

I have squirmed through so many close games that were supposed to be blowouts over the years that I have learned to savor ANY Gopher blowout of any opponent.

I have squirmed through so many close games that were supposed to be blowouts over the years that I have learned to savor ANY Gopher blowout of any opponent.

I recall the Iowa game a few years ago.

I was all, oh this is what a halftime with reasonable blood pressure feels like...

Yes. In spite of our DNA as Minnesotans, we are allowed to have fun at sporting events from time to time, and if that comes at the expense of other teams, well, so be it.

I've said this when teams have run the score up on us as well, if you don't want the other team to score, then stop them.

Go Gophers!!

As opposed to Glen Mason '99, Glen Mason '00, Glen Mason '03, Glen Mason '05...

I'm hoping they score on every drive making it more of a how soon can you put the backups in rather than when are you running up the score, if you catch what I mean.

It really used to tick me off when we'd be up comfortably and the starters would still be on the field well into the 4th quarter when Mason was coaching. He's not the only coach that does (did in Mason's case) that, but I've always thought it's really important to build up quality depth by giving the back-ups extended action in blow-outs. You don't have to send in a whole new unit, but just slot some guys in with the first team when you're starting to put some scoreboard distance between you and the opponent, you should start getting as many guys action as practical.

EDIT--Looks like I'm reading your point opposite of your intention. I was only talking about when we were beating the snot out of Troy or Tulsa.

A better question is which BigTen coach would run up the score on a lesser opponent

I say don't let up on the gas and play hard and if you do get up on a team start mixing in back ups if you continue to dominate then continue to go deep into your team.
But you should never stop playing hard

As long as the other team still thinks they have a chance, pour it on. When they throw in the towel, give backups a chance to play.

Run it up. Get the starters more reps in the new systems. We have a B1G schedule coming up.

Most coaches are never comfortable no matter how big their lead is. Just ask Mason about his lead against TT.

I think you get a comfortable lead and then you get the backups in. Also, you get some back ups at times with the starters, some back up here and some there as you are building a lead and assessing the game. I think Fleck could give 2 sh^ts about "running the score up". That seems like such a junior high level thing to even mention. I don't think the thought ever crosses a coach like Flecks mind. Maybe if the other coach was an ass and did some sh^tty things, but otherwise, just play the game, get the guys who you want to get in, and make sure they are all playing as hard as they can. The score will take care of itself and be what it is. He's going to worry about his guys, his team, and what he wants to accomplish. Once the lead gets sufficient he isn't going to give 2 sh^ts.

Top Bottom