Bruce Smith died 50 years ago today. Fleck took team to his grave

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
There is a video online of the team at the grave at Ft Snelling. Fleck tweeted it out. My phone is acting up or I would link it.

Nice to see the current team learning about the history.

Here is the tweet and video:
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Very cool. Elite move by Fleck, especially with the Captain's coin.

Goosebumps. Especially with all the BS going on in the world right now.

I've been very impressed with Fleck's out of the box ideas so far.

There is a video online of the team at the grave at Ft Snelling. Fleck tweeted it out. My phone is acting up or I would link it.

Nice to see the current team learning about the history.

BRUCE SMITH

Heisman Trophy winner - 1941

The year was 1910. An undefeated Minnesota squad faced off against undefeated Michigan in a game that would decide the national championship. Lucius Smith played tackle and kicked for the Golden Gophers in the game, which Minnesota ended up losing 6-0. It is not clear how or why, but for some reason Lucius felt responsible. Legend has it that he vowed, then and there, to have a son who would avenge the loss.

Lucius did indeed have a son, Bruce Smith, who seemed to be born to take on such an extraordinary objective. And 30 years after his father's bold decree, Bruce walked onto Memorial Stadium's muddied turf to face Michigan in a game that would decide the 1940 national championship.

Late in the first half the Golden Gopher trailed 6-0 - the same score by which they had lost a generation before. Michigan was on the verge of scoring again when the Maroon & Gold's Bob Paffrath intercepted a pass in the end zone. Then, on the next play, Smith received a handoff on a weak-side reverse. He ran into, around and through seven Michigan defenders before he found enough daylight to stop through 80 yards of muck for a touchdown. A minute later, Joe Mernik's point-after kick gave Minnesota a 7-6 advantage. It would prove to be the winning margin, since there was no mor scoring to be had on that rainy Saturday afternoon.

Smith played football from 1939-41, a time when gridiron giants walked campus footpaths around the nation. Gameday spectators, like the biblical Zaccheus, climbed trees and telephone poles outside Memorial Stadium hoping to see football miracles. Smith fulfilled their desires, leading the Golden Gophers to two undefeated national championship seasons in 1940 and 1941. Three times during his junior year in '40, he dazzled fans by scoring game-winning touchdowns when his team was behind.

Smith was a clutch player, a player who could be counted on to sacrifice his body for the good of the team. Against Iowa his senior year in '41, he was held out because of a knee injury. Minnesota did not gain a yard in the first quarter. Realizing that the national championship was on the line, Smith convinced Coach Bernie Bierman to let him play. He touched the ball only nine times that game, but it was enough to set up Minnesota's first three touchdowns and lead the Golden Gophers to a 34-13 victory.

For his on-the-field bravery, Smith won widespread recognition and awards. He earned All-Big Ten and All-America honors in 1941. That year he became the first and only Minnesota player

to receive college football's highest honor, the Heisman Trophy. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1972. But for sports heroes, like everyone else, life goes on long after their playing days are over; and many times, sports figures struggle to be strong people after the cheers of the fans have faded away. Smith, on the other hand, showed even greater strength and earned even higher rewards after he hung up his cleats.

Heisman Trophy History
1940 - George Franck (3rd)
1941 - Bruce Smith (1st)
1952 - Paul Giel (3rd)
1953 - Paul Giel (2nd)
1960 - Tom Brown (2nd)
1961 - Sandy Stephens (4th)
1962 - Bobby Bell (3rd)

In the spring of 1967, at the age of 47, the All-American was diagnosed with cancer. For months, he suffered without complaining. His weight dwindled from 200 to 90 pounds. Through it all he accompanied the Reverend William Cantwell on his rounds, praying for and talking with youngsters suffering from cancer. Unfamiliar with Smith's football achievements, Cantwell witnessed his courageous suffering and the positive effect his presence had on the children. His wife Gloria later said, "He forced himself to live three months longer than any medical man predicted because he wanted to spend the summer with his kids."

On Aug. 26, 1967, Smith succumbed to his disease. The Reverend nominated the football great for sainthood in the Roman Catholic Church, and continued to invoke Smith's intercession on behalf of young cancer patients long after his death.

In 1977, Bruce Smith's No. 54 became the first Minnesota number to be officially removed from the roster. He is a shining example to which an athlete, or any man or woman, can aspire, both on the field and in everyday life. Smith was, indeed, a true American hero.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/heisman.html

per Joe:

The Gophers' only Heisman Trophy winner, Bruce Smith, died 50 years ago today.

New coach P.J. Fleck took his players to visit Fort Snelling National Cemetery earlier this month and had senior Steven Richardson place a captain's coin on Smith's grave. The team posted a video Monday to honor Smith.

"These are people from all races, all beliefs, all different families," Fleck told the current players, pointing to the cemetery's monuments. "One thing they have in common, they're Americans. It's really important for you to understand. And one of the most important Americans, one of the most famous Americans of our past is Bruce Smith."

Smith, from Faribault, Minn., helped lead the Gophers to a national championship in 1940 as a junior. Coming off an 8-0 season, the team faced huge expectations for 1941, and Smith was named team captain. He overcame a serious knee injury that year to help lead Minnesota to another 8-0 finish and another national championship.

Smith won the Heisman Trophy and was headed to New York to give his speech, when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. Then 21, Smith reworked his speech and helped lift the nation's spirits with his remarks, which were broadcast on radio from the New York Athletic Club.

“I think America will owe a great debt to the game of football when we finish this thing off,” Smith said on Dec. 9, 1941. "If 6 million American youngsters like myself are able to take it and come back for more … and fight hard for the honor of our schools, then likewise the same skills can be depended on when we have to fight like blazes to defend our country.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...an-winner-bruce-smith-s-grave-site/442009353/

Go Gophers!!

Best thread of this off-season. I have a tear in my eye.

Again and again and again:

1747bcc0ff3851f40e23be7dc54aae83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many wins is this worth if you had to ballpark it?

How many wins is this worth if you had to ballpark it?

Can't tell if this is supposed to be sarcasm.

This isn't about wins and losses. It's about learning respect and building the players as men both on and off the field while also learning about the history of the program.

Time well spent by the coaching staff if you ask me.

Very elite! Loving Coach Fleck more every day! Can't wait for Thursday night!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This isn't about wins and losses. It's about learning respect and building the players as men both on and off the field while also learning about the history of the program.

Admission: The cynical part of me sees this as more publicity stunt. It would have greater weight if it wasn't recorded. Not attacking this event, as I applaud paying respects. Just admitting my own cynicism.

For some people, if it doesn't directly result in wins, it's a waste of time. Others probably think it's another self-promotional ploy for Fleck too.

per Joe:

The Gophers' only Heisman Trophy winner, Bruce Smith, died 50 years ago today.

New coach P.J. Fleck took his players to visit Fort Snelling National Cemetery earlier this month and had senior Steven Richardson place a captain's coin on Smith's grave. The team posted a video Monday to honor Smith.

"These are people from all races, all beliefs, all different families," Fleck told the current players, pointing to the cemetery's monuments. "One thing they have in common, they're Americans. It's really important for you to understand. And one of the most important Americans, one of the most famous Americans of our past is Bruce Smith."

Smith, from Faribault, Minn., helped lead the Gophers to a national championship in 1940 as a junior. Coming off an 8-0 season, the team faced huge expectations for 1941, and Smith was named team captain. He overcame a serious knee injury that year to help lead Minnesota to another 8-0 finish and another national championship.

Smith won the Heisman Trophy and was headed to New York to give his speech, when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. Then 21, Smith reworked his speech and helped lift the nation's spirits with his remarks, which were broadcast on radio from the New York Athletic Club.

“I think America will owe a great debt to the game of football when we finish this thing off,” Smith said on Dec. 9, 1941. "If 6 million American youngsters like myself are able to take it and come back for more … and fight hard for the honor of our schools, then likewise the same skills can be depended on when we have to fight like blazes to defend our country.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...an-winner-bruce-smith-s-grave-site/442009353/

Go Gophers!!
My dad was the same age as Bruce Smith, from neighboring towns and competed against Smith in high school. He always talked very highly of Mr. Smith.

Admission: The cynical part of me sees this as more publicity stunt. It would have greater weight if it wasn't recorded. Not attacking this event, as I applaud paying respects. Just admitting my own cynicism.

“I fight cynicism. It`s too easy. It`s really boring. It`s much harder to be positive and see the wonder of everything. Cynicism is a bunch of people who aren`t as talented as other people, knocking them because they make them feel even more untalented.”
― Ewan McGregor

"When the wins start piling up the cynics will disappear,"
― Halsey Hall

Yeah, you go into those cemeteries such as Ft Snelling, it makes you think.

Great posts! Too bad a couple attempted to tarnish a great team outing>

I've never seen the 1942 movie Smith of Minnesota. It would be cool if the U got the rights to it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

High class move. Very high class.

Thanks for posting Iceland12, that was a great read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid move my Fleck. After watching this I am still "bugged" this school hasn't done better in the win and loss department after the Vikings showed up. I just hope to see the Giant waking up again during my lifetime.

Top Bottom