True frosh and rs frosh may have to play on oline? Disaster. Roster fail.

Another thing that isn't unique is a new football coach taking every opportunity to try to lower expectations for his team. Jerry Kill did it constantly for at least two years after took over from Brewster. Kill never missed an opportunity to throw Brewster's recruits under the bus and I have it on good authority they weren't happy about it.

Not really the same situation now was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think part of the reason for the constant talking past each other on both sides of the "expectations" issue is the differing definitions of expectations and success.

When PJ Fleck says we're years away, I don't think he's saying we're years away from competing in the Big Ten West. I think he believes we're years away from competing on a national stage.

The problem is Gophers fans would rather not talk about success at that level after being burned and disappointed so many times. So rather than say success is 10 or 11 wins, it's better to say 8 or 9 wins because we feel it's more attainable for a program at our level. I don't think that's how coach Fleck thinks though. I don't think he'll be satisfied with three 8-win regular seasons in four years.

Just realize, I don't believe he thinks the program is 4-5 years away from 8-9 win seasons. That doesn't mean he thinks that level of success will happen this season, but he won't be satisfied with that as the sustained level of success going forward.

I think part of the reason for the constant talking past each other on both sides of the "expectations" issue is the differing definitions of expectations and success.

When PJ Fleck says we're years away, I don't think he's saying we're years away from competing in the Big Ten West. I think he believes we're years away from competing on a national stage.

The problem is Gophers fans would rather not talk about success at that level after being burned and disappointed so many times. So rather than say success is 10 or 11 wins, it's better to say 8 or 9 wins because we feel it's more attainable for a program at our level. I don't think that's how coach Fleck thinks though. I don't think he'll be satisfied with three 8-win regular seasons in four years.

Just realize, I don't believe he thinks the program is 4-5 years away from 8-9 win seasons. That doesn't mean he thinks that level of success will happen this season, but he won't be satisfied with that as the sustained level of success going forward.

I hope your right Josh, because as a long time fan of 40+ years I just wanna see the squad win the BiG every once in a while. I mean if Northwestern, Illinois and Iowa can all do it here and there why not us right?

I will "settle" for that first THEN we can talk about beyond that.

I hope your right Josh, because as a long time fan of 40+ years I just wanna see the squad win the BiG every once in a while. I mean if Northwestern, Illinois and Iowa can all do it here and there why not us right?

I will "settle" for that first THEN we can talk about beyond that.

This. We better get on it quickly, too. Expansion is coming, and we likely will never have this easy of a division again. Once the BIG12 disbands we will likely end up with teams like Texas & Oklahoma in our division.

Please list all the D1 Football programs that have no depth issues, and will not be impacted by injuries. I'll wait.........................................................................................................................................................

Seriously - the Gophers have some roster issues. So does virtually every other D1 FB program except for a few of the top helmet schools that populate their rosters with 4* and 5* recruits. And even some of those schools have roster issues.

The Gophers would be dealing with roster issues whether the coach was named Tracy Claeys, PJ Fleck, or Elmer Fudd. (I understand that Coach Fudd runs a really tricky "Rabbit Hunt" offense).

Not to nitpick, but I believe it is the "Wabbit Hunt" offense.

This. We better get on it quickly, too. Expansion is coming, and we likely will never have this easy of a division again. Once the BIG12 disbands we will likely end up with teams like Texas & Oklahoma in our division.

Really? How about Gophs continue to build and get better so that doesn't matter. Pretty sure that's what Coyle expects in making the change to, and investment in, Fleck. Me too.

Top Bottom