True frosh and rs frosh may have to play on oline? Disaster. Roster fail.

swingman

Reaction score
Iowa coaches are getting redshirt freshman Alaric Jackson and/or true freshman Tristan Wirfs ready to rise quickly to the top offensive line — especially if Myers is iffy. University photos and videos have shown both rookies working with the No. 1 unit.

Badgers will start a rs frosh at center, two more rs frosh in oline two deep.

Sparty projected oline two deep depth chart has three frosh and two rs frosh.

I can't tell if you've had too much to drink or this was supposed to be a joke about Fleck saying o-line depth with tank our team...

Fleck is extremely fortunate to be coming in this year. Cupcake noncon schedule followed by a light first half of the B1G, which will be an easy setup for a good record coming into November. Most importantly it sounds like Wisky and Iowa will have their weakest rosters in years, affording a prime shot at the trophy games. How is a repeat of 9+ wins not the standard expectation?

meh. Freshmen are asked to play big roles on most teams, even some of the best teams. They are part of the roster after all.

Fleck is extremely fortunate to be coming in this year. Cupcake noncon schedule followed by a light first half of the B1G, which will be an easy setup for a good record coming into November. Most importantly it sounds like Wisky and Iowa will have their weakest rosters in years, affording a prime shot at the trophy games. How is a repeat of 9+ wins not the standard expectation?

Even with depth issues Wisconsin in some places should be a _heavy_ favorite to win the division given their returning talent.
Expecting a 9 win season means absolutely no room for error (sweeping Iowa/Neb/NW), etc.
I think this board is right to expect somewhere between 6-8 games.
You're not wrong though, there is room to swing in either direction.

I'm not trying to be negative, I am high on Fleck right now...but if 9+ wins is your expectation for a brand new coach, you will likely end up being disappointed. 3 years is usually my benchmark for new coaches. That gives them enough time to lay down their foundation of recruits, system and culture.

6 wins would be my expectation this year. Anything more I would view as an over achievement, anything less, I would dismiss until year 3.

A new coach should always meet or exceed the wins of a fired coach.

1. Huge difference between trFR and rsFR when talking OL. Not comparable.

2. Playing trFR on the OL is much different than play them anywhere else, save DL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Huge difference between trFR and rsFR when talking OL. Not comparable.

2. Playing trFR on the OL is much different than play them anywhere else, save DL.

+1

LINCOLN — Ready or not, a handful of Nebraska’s true freshmen will play this season.

For some, such as wide receiver Tyjon Lindsey or linebacker Avery Roberts, that isn’t much of a surprise. Both were highly touted recruits who coaches have said would compete for time early in their careers.

But for others, such as defensive tackle Deontre Thomas, running back Jaylin Bradley and offensive lineman Brenden Jaimes, injuries and dwindling depth at their positions could push them onto the field sooner than expected.

Not sure anyone claimed others don't have to do it. In each of these cases it appears to be a "have to". I'd be interested in seeing something that shows starting trFR on the OL is a good thing.

Not sure anyone claimed others don't have to do it. In each of these cases it appears to be a "have to". I'd be interested in seeing something that shows starting trFR on the OL is a good thing.

Swingman is making a point. Gophs situation is not unique, by any stretch.

Got it. It isn't unique. Not ideal either. Not on the OL at least.

Got it. It isn't unique. Not ideal either. Not on the OL at least.

Very true, and that's college football for most schools.

Very true, and that's college football for most schools.

Seems we all agree. I was mainly addressing the idea that all teams play trFR, which is true, by pointing out to do so at OL is not comparable to doing it at, say, WR,RB,DB, or a number of other positions. With that said, MN isn't unique in having to do so - true. Likely more common than I would have guessed.

I can't tell if you've had too much to drink or this was supposed to be a joke about Fleck saying o-line depth with tank our team...

c26809e3a038ae40c48384056be3891a0adcbf3ea2d13053e5ca83d8deb93798.jpg

Back in the Mason era, both Esslinger & Setterstrom started as true freshmen. They went 8-5 with a win over Arkansas in the Music City Bowl.

Please submit your list of approved discussion topics so that we know that whatever we post has your endorsement.

Funny, I perceived it as hurry up season, so the Gophers could get going against an injury riddled league. Guess that is what I was thinking. -lol

Let's hope and pray the Gophers O-Line stay healthy throughout the season.

Blaise Andries undoubtedly will have to play as a true FR.

I wish we could've signed Eric Abojei in the 2017 class, and for Oyenmwen Uzebu to stay committed to the Gophers. Maybe some of the walk-ons and transfers (Ben Davis) may surprise.

Funny, I perceived it as hurry up season, so the Gophers could get going against an injury riddled league. Guess that is what I was thinking. -lol

It is exactly what I meant. Thanks for educating dolly.

I can't wait to start talking about the games and stuff that actually happened.

A new coach should always meet or exceed the wins of a fired coach.

I disagree. Every situation is different.

This year, for instance, there are scenarios where I'd be upset with just a 7-win regular season. And then there are scenarios where I'd be happy with 7 wins.

Another thing that isn't unique is a new football coach taking every opportunity to try to lower expectations for his team. Jerry Kill did it constantly for at least two years after took over from Brewster. Kill never missed an opportunity to throw Brewster's recruits under the bus and I have it on good authority they weren't happy about it.

Please list all the D1 Football programs that have no depth issues, and will not be impacted by injuries. I'll wait.........................................................................................................................................................

Seriously - the Gophers have some roster issues. So does virtually every other D1 FB program except for a few of the top helmet schools that populate their rosters with 4* and 5* recruits. And even some of those schools have roster issues.

The Gophers would be dealing with roster issues whether the coach was named Tracy Claeys, PJ Fleck, or Elmer Fudd. (I understand that Coach Fudd runs a really tricky "Rabbit Hunt" offense).

This is nearly opposite of everything I have read regarding where the Gophers will likely finish. Lots of 6-6 or worse predictions out there. As others have said, new O and D schemes too. It has all the makings of a season where the team takes a step back. My expectations would be BLOWN AWAY if the Gophers achieve a 9 win season.

I get real tired of the youth complaints, there are 85 scholarship athletes on the roster, in a perfect situation 40% or 34 would be normal. Due to attrition, most teams sign more than 20% often times the full 25 allowed. even using a lower number like 22, that would give you 44 out of 85 or 52%

Top Bottom