Gopher football coaches in my lifetime in one (or two) sentence(s).

STPGopher

Reaction score
Murray Warmath: Thank you coach Warmath for being the standard bearer and seeing potential in others at a time many in this country didn't. Note: I was too young to realize what I was seeing

Cal Stoll: Thank you for doing your best in a time that the University didn't show they cared about Gopher football.

Smoking Joe Salem: Good offensive mind that could pull in some good assistants, but couldn't retain them nor could he get support from the University.

Lou Holtz: Gave us hope, but did so much damage leaving when he did because many he drew in soured on Gopher Football.

John Gutekunst: A Good defensive minded coach that lacked resources/ support to take the program to the next level.

Jim Wacker: Good coach and developer of men that was too loyal to his staff.

Glen Mason: Solid coach with a compromised vision for the program and a case of wonderlust. His talk of tempered expectations most likely was voicing frustration with lack of support from the University.

Tim Brewster: A man who may have not been totally ready to be head coach, but saw potential in the University and did his best to sell excellence.

Jerry Kill: Very good coach who was building a program from the ground up fundamentally(and culturally) but his health failed him.

Tracy Claeys: Faithful assistant and probably the best defensive minded coach we've had in a long, long time. Might have grown into a very good coach in different circumstances, but we'll never know.

P.J. Fleck: Though too early to say much about coach Fleck and the Gopher's, he has a vision and it appears that all the pieces might be in place for this young energetic coach to take this program to the next level.

BTW Feel free to add comments regarding Gopher coaches in your lifetime.

Cheers!

Great recap. I will add about Mason: " Was a big reason we've TCF Stadium"

True. As a Gopher fan, I actually think we've had some decent coaches come through. They just needed resources. I think Fleck will do well here. I think the entire staff working together will be able to build momentum with what is there and eventually take the team to where he wants it to be.

I'll add the oft-forgotten interim Jeff Horton.

Dude won Floyd when few thought we had a chance. That game was a blast, and he'll always be undefeated vs Iowa as Gophers HC.

Go Gophers!!

Dude won Floyd when few thought we had a chance. That game was a blast, and he'll always be undefeated vs Iowa as Gophers HC.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks! I totally forgot to add Horton. Class coach!

Go Gophers!!

Yes! Made that season bearable.

Top Bottom