PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 8-27-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on Sunday. The Huddle was live at the State Fair - but Fleck appeared on a phone interview. Due to the Thursday game, the team's practice schedule was adjusted, so they were practicing at the time the show was on.

Sid: excited about being a B1G coach?
PJF: we're all really excited. The U of M is allowing me to live out a dream. humbled and honored. start of a journey.

Sid: ESPN thing help with recruiting during dead period? (a rough translation of what Sid actually said)
PJF: everything is for recruiting. (TV show) airing in August perfect - during dead period. got into millions of homes when other coaches can't be in contact. for 30 minutes at a time - priceless to us. can't put a price tag on it. marketing and branding = impact MN FB is making on a national stage. very impactful.

Sid: Scouting Report on Buffalo?
PJF: very good team. we (WMU) played them last year - we were leading 7-0 at halftime. they have a good young QB - 6'7" and athletic. they've got a lot of people back. can't look at last year's record. they were very young and inexperienced last year. But, it's not about our opponent - it's about how we play. we have to execute at high level

Sid: will any FR start?
PJF: I don't know about starting, but we will have a significant amount of FR who will contribute. don't know exact #. 51% of team is FR or RS Fr. we're one of the least experienced teams in country. have to get guys experience. can't be champion on 1st play. have to fail and grow.

Sid: do you know the starting positions?
PJF: (starters are) pretty much set. today is our 3rd practice for Buffalo like a Tues for preparation. go over 1st and 2nd down packages. reps are based on who's starting.

Sid: Lingen hurt last year - is he OK?
PJF: he's going to play. haven't seen him in spring ball (because of injury). I'm excited to see what type of team we have. Brandon is one of the players I haven't seen play Football except in the last 3 weeks. need to evaluate, develop and master. hard to do in 3 weeks. long way to go. process.

Sid: will winfield play?
PJF: looks like he will. phenomenal player and person.

Mona: who's on kick return? what do you do if you win the toss?
PJF: (toss) probably defer. I usually defer. lot of circumstances - weather, wind, who you're playing. Kickoff Return- Shannon Brooks on Kickoff Return. Punt Return still evaluating. have a few guys who can do it - depends on how many plays we're giving them on Off or Def.

Max: what about Demetrius Douglas?
PJF: he will be our starting inside receiver. really excited about his future. Remember, (Gophers are) coming off a QB who played 4 years and provided a lot of leadership. we're going to be playing 2 QB's who haven't played, with a FR receiver. others on the team who will play haven't been true starters. going to be a learning experience. proud of Demetrius. shows where we're headed with youth movement. '18 and '19 recruiting classes will create depth.

Sid: talk about the kicker who got the scholarship. (Sid said "Carpenter" - mean Juenemann)
PJF: I'll be judged on wins and losses. that's not how you should live your life. don't have to be star player to earn a scholarship. need to live a holistic life. Juenemann is prime example. gives it everything he has. brings it all the time.

Mona: 6:00 kickoff. any traditions?
PJF: Gopher Walk at the side of stadium. want fans to show up before game time and support the team.

Sid: what Side of field will you be on?
PJF: (laughing) Sid, you are the best. I love you. We'll be on the same Side we've been on for a long time. for this game. I've got other issues to worry about.

Sid: Murray's
PJF: RTB, Ski-U-Mah.

Thanks. A lot of questions answered.

- Freshmen will play, probably won't start.
- Lingen will play.
- Winfield looks great and will play.
- Brooks will return kicks.
- Douglas gonna start.
- Not gonna change sides now, could happen when it's cold (ala Northwestern's scheme)
- Buffalo has a very good team. ( :confused: )

Well, maybe not every question was honestly answered.. ;)

Sid: will any FR start?
PJF: I don't know about starting, but we will have a significant amount of FR who will contribute. don't know exact #. 51% of team is FR or RS Fr. we're one of the least experienced teams in country. have to get guys experience. can't be champion on 1st play. have to fail and grow.

So sick of PJ recycling this "54 Freshmen" quote over and over again. Stop managing expectations and trying to lower the bar. Just go play football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas is starting? I knew Fleck was high on him, but that really surprises me. Has Still been demoted? Or are we starting all three - Douglas, Johnson, Still?

So sick of PJ recycling this "54 Freshmen" quote over and over again. Stop managing expectations and trying to lower the bar. Just go play football.

It's Sunday morning and they play Thursday night.

Douglas is starting? I knew Fleck was high on him, but that really surprises me. Has Still been demoted? Or are we starting all three - Douglas, Johnson, Still?

Douglas starting inside receiver.

Assuming we are starting 3 receivers. Douglas in the slot, Still and Johnson on outside.

Quit listening then cuz it's just the simple truth.
Just play football? He has no control over the schedule. First games Thursday if you didn't know.

Assuming we are starting 3 receivers. Douglas in the slot, Still and Johnson on outside.

This suggests he has confidence in his starting QBs throwing the ball.

Thanks, shorty. Great job again!

I found this to be informative in terms of having data to look at. (Experience / % of Tackles Returning / 2 Deep Class Breakdown).

Full disclosure in terms of the data - I have no idea how accurate it is given the source (Phil Steele) and I honestly hope some GH's who know or keep up with this type of data more closely can elaborate, dispute, pick it apart, whatever.... as I genuinely would like to know if it seems accurate or not.

SKI-U-MAH!

I found this to be informative in terms of having data to look at. (Experience / % of Tackles Returning / 2 Deep Class Breakdown).

Full disclosure in terms of the data - I have no idea how accurate it is given the source (Phil Steele) and I honestly hope some GH's who know or keep up with this type of data more closely can elaborate, dispute, pick it apart, whatever.... as I genuinely would like to know if it seems accurate or not.

SKI-U-MAH!

Thanks very much for that.

Knew the Gophers would be quite a ways down that list. Surprised that Illinois, Nebraska, Michigan and Michigan State were behind them!

SKI-U-MAH!

Thanks for the data. It makes sense to me why several true freshmen will have to play looking at both starters and the backup depth. We'll be in trouble in certain positions if our starters go down.

51% of the team is FR and RSFr...that is true for most every team...it'll be true again next year and the year after....you recruit 25 Freshman on scholarship...you recruit at least 10 walkon Fr, you retain 20-30 of those who red shirted or didn't play ( walkons ) from the previous year. There you go.

I posted an article on here before how the NCAA Football Champions each of the last four years had an average of 20 plus Freshman who played on of those championship teams. Freshmen play on the best teams and others too. It's just how it works.

You can make the numbers say whatever you want. We have talent and experience coming back. Yes, we don't have a returning quarterback and that skews the above link massively.

51% of the team is FR and RSFr...that is true for most every team...it'll be true again next year and the year after....you recruit 25 Freshman on scholarship...you recruit at least 10 walkon Fr, you retain 20-30 of those who red shirted or didn't play ( walkons ) from the previous year. There you go.

I think part of the reason he's making a big deal about it is he hasn't dealt with it to this extreme when he was at WMU.

2016: 42/97 (43%)
2015: 45/100 (45%)
2014: 49/101 (48%)
2013: 44/105 (42%)

Additionally, many of the "veterans" on the roster haven't played much in previous years, not to mention have no experience in the current schemes.

People keep bringing up other Big Ten teams, forgetting that most of these "inexperienced" players still have teammates who have played in the coaches' systems. How many Minnesota football plays got practice reps for Kirk Ciarrocca and Robb Smith before January?

I think part of the reason he's making a big deal about it is he hasn't dealt with it to this extreme when he was at WMU.

2016: 42/97 (43%)
2015: 45/100 (45%)
2014: 49/101 (48%)
2013: 44/105 (42%)

Additionally, many of the "veterans" on the roster haven't played much in previous years, not to mention have no experience in the current schemes.

People keep bringing up other Big Ten teams, forgetting that most of these "inexperienced" players still have teammates who have played in the coaches' systems. How many Minnesota football plays got practice reps for Kirk Ciarrocca and Robb Smith before January?

I know we have the group that says year one coaches can't win...I disagree. Honest question, Spoofin' loves Gopher football...he has tuned out PJ already, I selectively listen to PJ and his whoa is me shtick and repetitive culture banter is definitely old...annoying me greatly. So, right now the players are buying in, excited for their new beginning. I know PJ went 13 and 0 last year...but isn't it reasonable to wonder how many guys on the team are going to tune him out as time goes on? PJ can coach, but football is definitely an emotional game, I can see guys playing at higher level this year while it is all brand new than they might going forward. I have no idea...just wondering... but a "normal" coach is going to require a longer buy in period, maybe why they struggle in year one but PJ has his guys ready to run through walls for him already. So, I feel we will overcome the short comings that are real.

I posted an article on here before how the NCAA Football Champions each of the last four years had an average of 20 plus Freshman who played on of those championship teams. Freshmen play on the best teams and others too. It's just how it works.

You can make the numbers say whatever you want. We have talent and experience coming back. Yes, we don't have a returning quarterback and that skews the above link massively.

I'd be willing to bet that national champ programs tend to have (1) players declaring for the draft sooner, thus, (2) underclassmen playing sooner.

I'd be willing to bet that national champ programs tend to have (1) players declaring for the draft sooner, thus, (2) underclassmen playing sooner.

Could be. Sounds reasonable. Could mean that the better teams would always be the most experienced. Pretty much everything can be accepted or explained away. Was surprised that MI, MSU, NE and IL all had a worse ratio of experienced players then the Gophers did. Probably 'cuz I knew about the Gophers before hand. "Senior experience points" was a surprise too.

Here's a list of the teams with the most experienced players. Wonder if people think they automatically are gonna have great years because of it?

1. Florida Atlantic
2. Miami of Ohio
3. TCU
4. Florida International
5. Memphis
6. Auburn
7. UNC
8. Army
9. SMU
10. Texas
11. Penn State
12. GA