Shooter: It will be announced that Jamie Verbrugge will become PA announcer at Barn

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

It will be announced that Jamie Verbrugge will become only the third Gophers men’s basketball public address announcer in some 91 years. The Bloomington city manager will succeed Dick Jonckowski, who is gone after 31 seasons. Jonckowski’s predecessor was legendary Jules Perlt, who worked the microphone for some 60 seasons.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/2...tarters-should-play-at-least-a-half-vs-49ers/

Go Gophers!!

I wish him well. How in the world did Perlt do this job for close to 60 years? Wow. Over 90 years and only two people doing the job is also amazing

Just don't be "Screaming AM Radio Guy" over the PA and I'm ok with it.

Am I the only one that doesn't care who the PA guy is? Just say names, have a little bit of liveliness in your voice and try not to have voice cracks/say people's names correctly (sorry Jonckowski).

Am I the only one that doesn't care who the PA guy is? Just say names, have a little bit of liveliness in your voice and try not to have voice cracks/say people's names correctly (sorry Jonckowski).

No, I don't care either but go to the MSHSL State Basketball Tournament for instance, 4 classes of games, different sites to start, "professional" experienced announcers and draw the wrong announcer and you'll wish you had some way to mute the sound. So many mistakes, so little understanding of the game and it's rules or vernacular. Constant corrections etc etc... it gets pretty unenjoyable when they aren't good.

Maybe;). But, PA announcers are pretty much on the mic during every break in the action, before and during games, spewing ads, hyping contests etc. etc. etc. with very little down time. They can get tiring fast. One thing I've appreciated about Jamie's men's hockey pregame ad reading, is he doesn't constantly repeat "HEY GOPHER FANS" before every ad like his fill-ins usually do. It's my private annoyance.

As we learned with his Jamie's football duties, however, he can scream with the best of them.

I mean...Jonckowski announced Amir Coffey as Nia Coffey for an entire NC game. Are the shoes really that big?

I wish there was video or even audio of Jonckowski yelling at unruly Gopher fans to stop throwing trash on the court or risk forfeiting the game after a bad call. That was pure entertainment. The guy did it for 30 years. Give him some props.

I'm 29 so basically what I remember is the last 20 years or so and all my life it seemed like Jockowski had a really tough time and it was a struggle. Congrats to him on 30 years on the job and such but I really don't understand the mystique behind him. Maybe he was fantastic the first 10 years that I was too young to really remember but he was pretty painful to listen to

I'm 29 so basically what I remember is the last 20 years or so and all my life it seemed like Jockowski had a really tough time and it was a struggle. Congrats to him on 30 years on the job and such but I really don't understand the mystique behind him. Maybe he was fantastic the first 10 years that I was too young to really remember but he was pretty painful to listen to

^ this guy is not respecting the polish eagle!

The one thing that bugged me about Dick was how he would always wait to announce the Gopher player shooting free throws until the Gopher player already had the ball and was about to shoot the free throw. That had to have been distracting. Loved Jamie as the Hockey announcer when I was in college. I am sure he will be just as great for bball.

per Marcus:

Only two voices have been the public address announcer for Gophers men's basketball in the near 90-year history of Williams Arena, but the third was announced Thursday.

And it’s a familiar voice.

Longtime Gophers football PA announcer Jamie Verbrugge was chosen to replace Dick Jonckowski on the microphone at the Barn starting in the November 2 exhibition game against Concordia-St. Paul. He’s been doing U football games since 2001.

Verbrugge, who began with Gophers wrestling matches in 1988, currently announces for Gophers football, men’s hockey and wrestling, which he will continue to do this season.

"For most of my life I have been watching Gophers basketball in the Barn,” Verbrugge said in a statement. “It is a special place to me as I know it is to tens of thousands of Gophers fans. I fully understand what a privilege it is to have this job and I fully intend to honor the very best traditions of the maroon and gold.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/Gophers_Basketball/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom