Who are our kick returners?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
With Carpenter and Santoso returning, we don't hear a lot about special teams. One thing that always was a concern for me during the Kill regime were kickoff and punt returns. It sure seems we had our fair share of blunders. I can't get the vision of Craig James being scared returning punts or a short kickoff where Lamonte Edwards looked like he wanted nothing to do with the football. In fact, he didn't want the football, as he fumbled. We even tried an experienced Drew Wolitarsky on punt returns, only to fumble on one of his first attempts.

Our kick return game was always shaky. I liked Myrick, but he is gone. Who is taking over? Is it Smith on kickoff returns? Who is on the other side? How about punt returns?

House mentioned Douglas and Morse repping at PR. Haven't heard about KR.

With Carpenter and Santoso returning, we don't hear a lot about special teams. One thing that always was a concern for me during the Kill regime were kickoff and punt returns. It sure seems we had our fair share of blunders. I can't get the vision of Craig James being scared returning punts or a short kickoff where Lamonte Edwards looked like he wanted nothing to do with the football. In fact, he didn't want the football, as he fumbled. We even tried an experienced Drew Wolitarsky on punt returns, only to fumble on one of his first attempts.

Our kick return game was always shaky. I liked Myrick, but he is gone. Who is taking over? Is it Smith on kickoff returns? Who is on the other side? How about punt returns?

I always felt kick returns were good. Punt returns left a ton to be desired. I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler Johnson back there with his shiftiness for PR. Like the Smith or Brooks idea on KR. Get them as many touches as possible

A healthy Winfield would be interesting in the return game. The young man excelled in the return game in high school, not sure he has had a look at that assignment or not. Smith is always viable on kick offs and Brooks can help there as well. Would love to see some serious speed and vision back there.

Saw somewhere that there was a battle between Santoso and Herbers for punter.

The competition for punter is good.

Santoso went through a bad stretch last year where his head was not right. He figured it out but having a competent replacement is good motivation.

Hoping this position is the least of our issues this year.

What? Do you watch the games? You're talking about two guy that have been gone for years. Our special teams are one of our long suits. Weird post.

What? Do you watch the games? You're talking about two guy that have been gone for years. Our special teams are one of our long suits. Weird post.

I would not say PR was a strong suit last year or the year prior. Lots of muffs and letting the ball bounce

Last I heard was Brooks and Rodney on kick returns and they were trying Himelewski on punt returns. Will really miss Hardin there.

I heard the starting RB's are on kick returns as well. I heard it on Ryan Burns podcast but that is 7-10 days old now. Possible it has changed since then I guess...

Last I heard was Brooks and Rodney on kick returns and they were trying Himelewski on punt returns. Will really miss Hardin there.

I heard the starting RB's are on kick returns as well. I heard it on Ryan Burns podcast but that is 7-10 days old now. Possible it has changed since then I guess...

This is last I've heard as well, which was two weeks ago (13th).

Shenault and Hmielewski were the first two punt returners
Kick returners Burns mentioned were Smith, Brooks, McCrary, Hmielewski

Yep, I watch the game and those are my observations from my stadium seat.
You've turned extra salty since you've moved to Arizona. #crankypost

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

This is last I've heard as well, which was two weeks ago (13th).

Shenault and Hmielewski were the first two punt returners
Kick returners Burns mentioned were Smith, Brooks, McCrary, Hmielewski

Love to see McCrary back there...

I hate to see starters at other positions doing punts and kicks.... I don't feel like it often provides much value.

Just give me a moderate amount of speed and GOOD HANDS GUY WHO WON'T DO THE FALLING WHILE CATCHING THE KICK THING.

Yep, I watch the game and those are my observations from my stadium seat.
You've turned extra salty since you've moved to Arizona. #crankypost

I've never missed a game. Special teams are our long suit. Watch any games yourself? #toodrunktoknow

FYI if anything I still drink too much Koolaid. I'm just sick of "salty" "negative" Gopher "fans". As my grandmas would say..."ish". Try and support the team, like a real fan.

I wish I could recall from the games I've watched this offseason to remember what it was exactly, but announcers talked during a game about PJ's philosophy of who played on special teams.

I know I'm covering both ends of the spectrum, but it was either that he likes using starters on special teams units or that he doesn't.....can't remember which it was right now and can't find which game it was said during.

I wish I could recall from the games I've watched this offseason to remember what it was exactly, but announcers talked during a game about PJ's philosophy of who played on special teams.

I know I'm covering both ends of the spectrum, but it was either that he likes using starters on special teams units or that he doesn't.....can't remember which it was right now and can't find which game it was said during.
Think it was Leach.

I've never missed a game. Special teams are our long suit. Watch any games yourself? #toodrunktoknow

FYI if anything I still drink too much Koolaid. I'm just sick of "salty" "negative" Gopher "fans". As my grandmas would say..."ish". Try and support the team, like a real fan.
I love the team. I've rarely missed a game. I expressed my opinion about kickoff and punt returns and you reply with a condescending post.
I still want better punt returns and kickoff returns.
By the way, I rarely drink. And you're still a cranky old goat.

IMO Brooks and Smith, or any other important starter for that matter, should only return kicks if we're down, running out of time, and need to make something happen. Other than that it's too risky and the potential of benefit does not outweigh that risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO Brooks and Smith, or any other important starter for that matter, should only return kicks if we're down, running out of time, and need to make something happen. Other than that it's too risky and the potential of benefit does not outweigh that risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the philosophy, but with our stable of backs, our biggest issue is going to be being creative enough to make sure they each get enough touches. I would hate the idea of Rodney returning kicks if it meant we would have to play the next series with a mediocre RB, but we have the luxury giving the rock to Brooks/McCrary if Smith is gassed.

Smith is also pretty dynamic. He gives us a really good opportunity to flip the field. A good kickoff return is like a turnover. Additionally, if he's back there and it makes the opposition more likely to kick away or puts more pressure for touchbacks - - that could also lead to more illegal procedure penalties.

The injury concern, I get it. But these are players who will be running the ball 15-20 times a game. I certainly wouldn't say, let's not give the ball to Smith/Brooks because of injury. I understand your take on the risk, it's just one I am willing to accept.

PJ says its going to be Shannon Brooks. One reason he might feel comfortable letting Brooks do it is that he seems impressed with McCrary. So if anything happened to Brooks, he'd still have McCrary to spell Rodney Smith.

I think he just wants Smith and Brooks getting as many touches as possible.

On the sports huddle Today, Fleck said Shannon Brooks will be doing Kickoff returns. He said several people are in the running for punt returns, and added that it depends on how much those players will also be seeing duty on offense or defense.

Top Bottom